Paypal Payments the "Proper" Way - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Old 08-23-2007

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 99%
Default Paypal Payments the "Proper" Way

For Modee, or whomever else wants to give input...this will be the Paypal self-contained "ultimate" thread on how to use Paypal to buy and sell on ebay. But we'll start with 3 important points which any new or returning seller-to-be should know:

Let's say for a moment that using checkout with an unsuspended email does in fact link you and cause suspension (I don't believe this has ever been proven but for the sake of argument let's say it's true). In that case, you'll want to send your payment direct from paypal to the seller.

That leads us to the first problem: How do you get the email?

How do you get the seller to give up their email address to send that payment? Most will just tell you to use the ebay checkout, and if you don't temper your question just right, you may arouse suspicion. That's never good. Anyone have a good solution to this that will work 99% of the time?

The second problem: Once you have that email, how do you send payment?

When you are paying a seller through Paypal, do you make mention of the auction #? Obviously you want to cover yourself in case you have to chargeback if the item isn't delivered and it's worth the effort. I assume to do this you will need some record of the item purchase through ebay. It's been mentioned that the best way to go about this is to send as "goods" and only mention the item in the description area. This is where it gets vague. Are you still ok to mention the item number and the item in this area? How descriptive should you be in order to retain your right to a chargeback if it's needed?

The third problem: Immediate payment or Paypal Required

This is where it really gets tricky. There has been talk that all you need to do is create a paypal account and link to ebay. Simple? Well, yes but this only applies to selling. So what do you do when you need to buy? You'll need a real address for this. If indeed Paypal keeps all the old addresses, you can't link an old address or have it mentioned anywhere in that account. And if that address happens to be your address for receiving, you're out of luck. So what do you then use? PO Box maybe? Email the seller and tell them the address hasn't been updated? Tell them it's a gift address? Good question. In many cases, the seller will only ship to a CONFIRMED address, so this becomes a real problem. Feel free to share your ideas here so we can learn to deal with this increasing everyday ebay issue.

I'm sure there will be many more questions to come, but these are the 3 that come to immediate mind when needing to build feedback by buying, and I think it's about time we get some definate plan together regarding them.

Ok, ready? Discuss!
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 08-24-2007

Longevity: 96%
Send a message via MSN to robo1977

yeah modee thats the way m8 i have no problems doing it that way either people look into it to hard dont u think, its not rocket science
Old 08-24-2007

Send a message via MSN to robo1977

I have alot of people send me cash to if they want the item that much they will and if they like it they have no issues with buying more out side of ebay. I never use paypal with in ebay ever.
Old 08-24-2007
Banned

Longevity: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modee View Post
I've never had an issue with a seller refusing to tell me how to pay them, but right now as far as MY selling I have all my EBAY accounts set to NOT accept PayPal and rather set to accept credit cards through a merchant account.

I don't even have a merchant account set up quite yet but I just allow them to PP me the payment directly, outside of EBAY.

That way I avoid ANY possible linking between my EBAY and my PP.
Well the problem is most buyers will put the auction number in the paypal payment and also they will mark Ebay payment for their own protection. So with that in mind paypal/ebay has you that way also
Old 08-24-2007
Threadstarter  

Alright before the thread goes too far one way--these three questions relate to buying not selling. We'll get to the selling later, and Modee's idea to use the "merchant" approach is a good one. Obviously though you have no control over the terms of the auction of another person. There are still tons who only accept Paypal or Money Order as payment.

As I understand it, when sending a payment, if you mark the item as "goods" you should be safe from scrutiny and still retain your buyer protection. But I assume you have to put the item number and item name in the notes area or there's nothing to protect. I mean Paypal doesn't just protect a random payment for "goods" right? Otherwise, it would be great to just send them a payment for "goods" with nothing in the notes except maybe a thank you, and then email the seller and tell them what it's for. That would be ideal, but I don't think it would be protected.

So what have you found to be the better way to do this?
Old 08-26-2007
Threadstarter  

Yeah it's happening again. Three items bought this weekend and all THREE are asking why I'm asking to confirm their paypal email, that it's simple, just pay the invoice. How do I get these people to just shut up and answer the frickin question?
Old 09-02-2007
Threadstarter  

Can you link paypal to ebay but still offer a merchant account for your payment? I haven't read that's possible but it would cover a multitude of problems. Has anyone linked and found a workaround for this?

Also, is it a bad idea to link your paypal account the same day you create it? I'm planning this one for just linking's sake, not to do much with it--therefore I'm not really planning about waiting 30 days.
Old 10-09-2007

Send a message via Yahoo to cnjsmom
Default Buying on Ebay with Suspended Info

I am not sure if this is the latest thread for this topic, I have been searching for several hours...but this exact problem is getting me suspended time and time again. I have a verified Paypal account with over 2,000 transactions, so Im OK on the paypal end, but I have gone through about 10+ suspended Ebay account with this same paypal and I think what is happening is I may use a friends address for my new ebay account, I then go and buy something and the seller wants me to use the checkout, so I have to add my address to the Ebay account. I dont do it, but a few times I would pay, then email them, through Ebay (I know, stupid), telling them to ship to my real address (which is a suspended address), then soon after I was suspended. I also did a few things with turbo lister that may have caused it, but I am thinking it was the email giving away my real address. So how do I buy on Ebay with my Paypal account? Do I use a different account and go get a PO box or can I buy with my suspended address information? Sorry if this info is elsewhere, but I couldn't find it...
Old 10-09-2007

Send a message via Yahoo to cnjsmom

so when buying, do I contact the sellers outside of Ebay and get their paypal info that way? You usually get a confirmation email sent to your personal email account.

Am I understanding this correctly, if I list an item, dont click on the accept paypal box, just choose merchant, then somewhere within the listing, list that you accept paypal? Then after every auction, send an invoice directly through Paypal? If this is how to do it, wow, that will be alot of work if you do high volume.

I was under the impression that if you deleted the email address in Paypal from the suspended Ebay account and use a new one, you could still you Checkout as long as you dont link Ebay and Paypal?

thanks for your input..Kristen
Old 10-09-2007

prozac why dont u just ask the seller to send you paypal invoice and tell them ur paypal email address so that u can pay? i have done it alot and i have never had any problems with that..
Old 10-09-2007
Threadstarter  

That works...some of the time. Mostly they'll just assume you're a newbie (the new user doesn't help) and tell you they already sent an invoice, just pay through it. I don't know if it's more suspicion, arrogance, or confusion. Probably a mix of all three.
Old 10-09-2007
Executive [VIP]

cnjsmom..you can't use your paypal account at all if it contained a banned email at ANY point. Even if you delete the old email, the record of its previous existance remains. I learned the hard way.
Old 10-16-2007

Longevity: 98%

It's sooooo simple, just tell the seller your cousin/friend/lover is paying for the item, and you need the email address, not the invoice. Really eassssyyyy. I should know, have gone through many pp/eb act. It works all the time, who doesn't wanna get paid?
Old 10-16-2007
Threadstarter  

Believe it or not, that still doesn't always work, DEPRESSEDDISTRESSED. Right now I'm dealing with a guy who refuses to use anything but the ebay system and plays everything right to the book. Such a tool.