New to all of this - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > General Discussions (Off-Topic) > Introductions

Introductions Introduce yourself to the community!

Old 06-29-2010

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 80%
Default New to all of this

Hello,

I guess the best thing to do is see if there is a valid reason for eBay to suspend my new account.

I opened an eBay account after struggling to find parts for my laptop computer, using google. I saw a couple of the same model, offered for parts, and decided to bid. I made one bid and the got out bid in a flash. Bid again and it happened again. Then I read the part about "max bid" and decided to send a message to the seller and ask about a "buy now" price. Got a message back that they wouldn't accept my bid because I was new and had no "feed back". OK.

I looked around and found another, exact same model, and put it on my watch list. Got a message from eBay that said "don't miss out, bid today". and then another message that my account had been suspended.

Here are some details: I've never bought or sold anything on eBay. I think the last time I even looked at eBay was more than 3 years ago. I have a PayPal account that is linked to one of my business accounts with a major bank. Like the name implies, I travel. I live in Nevada but have an office in Zhongshan, China. I use the laptop in the U.S. and while in transit and one of two desktop computers, both on the same wireless network, while in my China office.

From what I've read in this forum, registering in one country but logging in from another may be the problem. OOPS! Is that in the fine print somewhere? I'm sure I'm not the only "traveler" on the planet.

Question for those of you in the know. What are the odds of my account being reinstated in time for me to buy the computer that I signed up to buy. 2 days remaining on that item?

Thanks,
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 06-29-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

Why did eBay say they suspended your account?
Old 06-29-2010
Administrator

Thanked 1,568 Times in 861 Posts
Activity: 27%
Longevity: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
What are the odds of my account being reinstated in time for me to buy the computer that I signed up to buy. 2 days remaining on that item?
Probably zero, eBay is notorious for taking weeks/months and usually not at all for reinstating accounts after you jump through countless hoops.

Best bet is to get a friend or co-worker to buy this computer you want and reimburse them.
Old 06-30-2010
Threadstarter  

Responding to Jeffweico,

This was what I got: We're sorry to tell you that your eBay account was suspended because recent account activity has raised serious security concerns. We've taken this precaution to protect our members while we make sure that the activity doesn't cause harm -- however unintentionally -- to the eBay community.

I can't imagine what "activities" they can be referring to. I looked at the little watch list (consists of 3 things) and the scrolled a few pages to see what parts were available. I did, however log in from two different computers (on the same wireless network) at different times.

More than being "banned" from eBay, the idea of being called, for lack of a better term an "eBay terrorist" frankly bugs the hell out of me. The idea of being found guilty of something without explanation is, in my optionion, an absolute violation of my rights as an American.

I think they owe me, and every one else this happens to, an explanation.
Old 06-30-2010

Longevity: 81%

new to the forum? welcome! if you havent bought the stealth good..you should..it might help you understand why you were suspended or limited.
Old 06-30-2010
Threadstarter  

I dont' know anything about the stealth, except it says "We're sorry!
This product is not available at this time." Uh, what is it supposed to do? It would also be nice to know the cost and other details. Anybody?
Old 06-30-2010
Vicvelcro

Longevity: 0%

Traveler,

I suspect that you were flagged because they believe you may be a Nigerian attempting to buy laptops or laptop components which you will later request that the buyer send to your cousin's nephew who lives at some other address.

New account. Odd request. Continued searching of same or similar type of item and a potential for bad deeds.

Don't dwell on it too much, if you don't understand my Nigerian reference.
Old 06-30-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Traveler: are you in China now? I'll let aspkin know about the Stealth Book.
You're the 2nd person recently that's mentioned that.

So did you access your ebay from China or USA. If you did from China, that's a bad mark like mentioned