Selling on Ebay and getting SSI concerns... - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 07-03-2010

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 80%
Unhappy Selling on Ebay and getting SSI concerns...

Ok, hopefully this is in the right section, but sorry if it isn't.

I'm not planning on being a major seller on ebay, I just have some crap I really want to get rid of, like dvds, books, cds, etc. But, I'm kinda nervous about it since I also receive Social Security Income due to serious health problems that do not allow me to maintain a job or leave home much. I do not receive much as it is, around $600 a month and due to some unforseen problems, like a computer being destroyed and some expensive bills, I am not doing so well financially.
So, I would like to sell some stuff but knowing SS, I am afraid I will be penalized in some way, like having my income cut down or taken away or whatever. I also do not want to call and ask them because I don't need them breathing down my neck. If I sell on ebay is there a way that this won't show up on my bank records or if SS would just be ok with it? If it goes to your paypal account is there a chance it will be paid attention to by SSI? I know you can take a job and make a certain amount of money without your SS being taken away, but don't know if the same applies when selling online. I REALLY need to have some extra cash flow at the moment and I'm already receiving as much SSI as I'm going to get.

From what I've read here you guys seem to have a few tricks and ideas up your sleeves. I don't want to do anything illegal or questionable, but I cannot afford to lose any money given my circumstances. It would be even more disastrous than it already is. Thank you for your answers.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 07-03-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

You might want to check with a legal aid service in your area. They usually have attorneys to answer these types of questions free of charge.

I think it is OK. I mean, you have the right to sell your posessions like anyone else does. If you were moving thousands of dollars worth of merchandise each month it may be different, but how is selling a few things from around the house the equivalent of working a job?
Old 07-03-2010

Any extra income has to be claimed to SSI. They are stricked with that I think but as Jeffweico said you can have a legal aid answer the question for you.
Old 07-03-2010
Executive [VIP]

As long as you do not sell more than $20,000.00 per year, and have fewer than 100 transactions, paypal will not send you out a 1099 next year. You can request a check from paypal, and deposit it in a non interest bearing checking account, or just cash the check, put the cash under your mattress and nobody would be the wiser. I know lots of people on SSI that work under the table for a lot more $$$$, and know how to work the system. Now bear in mind this may be illegal, and unethical, and by no means am I suggesting you breaking the law, but after you account for depreciation, and what you paid originally for these used items, the profit probably wouldn't really amount to enough that your benefit would get cut. You will also have to deal with sales, or income taxes depending on you state of domicile.

Why not just have a garage sale once a month to clear out your unused merchandise, and no worries!

Hope this helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgreco View Post
Any extra income has to be claimed to SSI. They are stricked with that I think but as Jeffweico said you can have a legal aid answer the question for you.
Old 07-04-2010
MU

Longevity: 81%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrqell View Post
As long as you do not sell more than $20,000.00 per year, and have fewer than 100 transactions, paypal will not send you out a 1099 next year. You can request a check from paypal, and deposit it in a non interest bearing checking account, or just cash the check, put the cash under your mattress and nobody would be the wiser. I know lots of people on SSI that work under the table for a lot more $$$$, and know how to work the system. Now bear in mind this may be illegal, and unethical, and by no means am I suggesting you breaking the law, but after you account for depreciation, and what you paid originally for these used items, the profit probably wouldn't really amount to enough that your benefit would get cut. You will also have to deal with sales, or income taxes depending on you state of domicile.

Why not just have a garage sale once a month to clear out your unused merchandise, and no worries!

Hope this helps
Now bear in mind this may be illegal, and unethical, and by no means am I suggesting you breaking the law, but after you account for depreciation, and what you paid originally for these used items, the profit probably wouldn't really amount to enough that your benefit would get cut.

So is this people getting back on after they have been banned for good from ebay. Thats illegal isn't it and we still get on it because people need to a make profit.

Why not just have a garage sale once a month to clear out your unused merchandise, and no worries! I quoate to this: There are items that dont sell as high as on ebay. I realised this because ebay for some reason has taken over a big part of selling and is a big money maker for people like us.