eBay account suspended (MC049) - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion! > eBay Suspensions

eBay Suspensions General issues related to eBay Suspensions. Mostly geared towards eBay.com.

Old 07-13-2010

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 83%
Default eBay account suspended (MC049)

This was more of an experiment so I was kind of expecting it. The only thing is I do notknow what it was exactly that got me suspended. The weird thing is that my Paypal account has NOT been limited; it's only my eBay account that got suspended. I had listed a Pimsleur Language Learning Program (which normally costs in upwards of $350.00 per program) for $110.00, and it sold as usual and nothing happened. Then I listed an eBook for $10.00 a few hours later, and right after it sold I got suspended from eBay. This is the message I got. Again, my Paypal account is mysteriously not limited, just eBay:

MC049 NOTICE: eBay Registration Suspension - User Agreement - e---s

Dear e---s (e---s@gmail.com),

As part of eBay's security efforts, your account has been suspended pending additional account verification. To appeal this suspension, please go to:

Suspended accounts

Unfortunately, during the suspension you won't be able to use eBay in any way, including using existing accounts or registering new accounts. Any remaining listing fees are due right away and will be charged to the billing method you selected. We understand this may be an inconvenience for you. However, we're committed to providing a safer place to buy and list items.

Thank you for your understanding.

Sincerely,

eBay Trust & Safety

Let me give a little backstory about the way I created this account, and hopefully someone could help me figure out what went wrong. I'm in the US, with a US IP address. I registered a new ebay account in Canada, with a real Canadian address (ebay.ca). When I registered, I wasn't using a Canadian VPN/IP or anything because several ebay reps actually told me it was ok for me to create and use accounts from other countries even if you weren't located in that country (seriously). I used new e-mail address, new f*ke account name, new computer user account, and a new IP address. I even got one of my Canadian friends to help me with the phone verification process. ebay was set.

I then created a Paypal account in Canada also, hoping to bypass the SSN check and so I could use the very convenient VCC service Entropay (in every other country besides the US, Paypal doesn't check the billing address registered to the credit card). It worked: I added my $1.00 Entropay VCC easily to Paypal and linked it to my eBay account. I was ready to sell, although I was still not Paypal verified because I had not added a bank account.

After doing all this, I thought I was clever and changed the country and address registered to my eBay account to one near my real address in the US. Then I listed the items. As I said I was able to sell a Pimsleur program for $110.00 without problem although I did get a 21 day Paypal hold, but when the $10.00 eBook sold I got suspended. Now, eBay wants a copy of my driver's license and bank statement, which I can't supply because the registered name was f*ke. If I wouldn't have sold the eBook, I don't know if I would've gotten Paypal limited regardless if I tried withdrawing the
mone from Paypal though.

So where did I mess up exactly?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 07-13-2010

Longevity: 91%

recently i have been banned by the same mc049 after selling a few days
did you uncheck all the notifications on ebay settings? i got a feeling this is causing the ban
Old 07-13-2010
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyouichi View Post
recently i have been banned by the same mc049 after selling a few days
did you uncheck all the notifications on ebay settings? i got a feeling this is causing the ban
Which notifications exactly? I have not logged back into the account since I got suspended.

Last edited by creznor; 07-13-2010 at 03:47 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to creznor For This Useful Post:
Tata (06-27-2011)
Old 07-13-2010

Longevity: 91%

the notification about ebay promos and stuff
Old 07-13-2010
Subscribed [VIP]

Longevity: 82%

whats that got to do with anything?
Old 07-14-2010

Longevity: 81%

If you're going to create and use a Canadian ebay account, do it right, use a Canadian IP (VPN,proxy) whatever, Canadian address info, Canadian virtual number etc, its too easy to flag you when all your info is back and forth. You can then add a U.S bank account to your canadian paypal to get verified, so you will still dodge the SSN and other requirements they ask for on u.s accts.
Old 07-14-2010
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr888 View Post
If you're going to create and use a Canadian ebay account, do it right, use a Canadian IP (VPN,proxy) whatever, Canadian address info, Canadian virtual number etc, its too easy to flag you when all your info is back and forth. You can then add a U.S bank account to your canadian paypal to get verified, so you will still dodge the SSN and other requirements they ask for on u.s accts.
I agree mr888 and that's probably what did get me suspended, but I keep reading contradictory information about the usage of proxies and VPNs for eBay and Paypal. Some people say it's a must, others say it's detectable and will just not work.
The Following User Says Thank You to creznor For This Useful Post:
pod (07-14-2010)
Old 07-14-2010
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 86%

Its great to have someone experimenting and learning for us all. For sure! Thanks

But don't think this will be a long term solution to the US SSN hoopla. Revenue Canada has already been on ebays back to report sellers for years. Just a mater of time before they follow with SIN here too.... It wont be overnight, but anonymous selling, for lack of a better word, is going to get steadily more difficult :(
Old 07-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by pod View Post
Its great to have someone experimenting and learning for us all. For sure! Thanks

But don't think this will be a long term solution to the US SSN hoopla. Revenue Canada has already been on ebays back to report sellers for years. Just a mater of time before they follow with SIN here too.... It wont be overnight, but anonymous selling, for lack of a better word, is going to get steadily more difficult :(
Are you sure about this? Paypal is not a bank nor an employer so I don't think they can ask for your SIN, Canadian privacy laws are stricter then in the US
Old 07-14-2010
Executive [VIP]

SIN, just a guess, so maybe never. But revenue Canada has been getting seller reports from ebay for awhile. I believe they even filed legal challenges to that effect. Not complete on details...How that will change or if it will change is anyone's guess
Old 07-14-2010

Quote:
SIN, just a guess, so maybe never. But revenue Canada has been getting seller reports from ebay for awhile. I believe they even filed legal challenges to that effect. Not complete on details...How that will change or if it will change is anyone's guess
Heh, I heard about that too, but they can have all the seller reports they want from my stealth accounts
Old 07-14-2010
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
they can have all the seller reports they want from my stealth accounts
Thats my point. 100s or 1000s of sellers account information comes in that doesn't match a Canadian citizen what do you think is going to happen.

Their 1st fear is ⊗⊗⊗⊗ names to avoid taxes. 2nd is non Canadian citizens. 3rd, who knows, money laundering... Sooner or later it will become an issue. I image later. But who knows. Thats why I'm saying I don't think Canadian accounts are going to be the saving grace. But again, who knows. I'm not giving my SIN to them. Real or bogus info. No way
Old 07-14-2010
Executive [VIP]

I suspect over the next couple weeks/months ebay is going to see an unusual amount of new Canadian accounts. That much is a given.

That spike is most certainly going to put pressure on verifying Canadian accounts. I wonder what they will do. I actually think this US SSN issues is going to spill over and cause Canadians grief too. So we are not "laughing" - Just by having Canadian accounts we will soon come under new scrutiny. Hope I'm wrong. But wait and watch. I bet something will pop up over the horizon.
Old 07-14-2010

Quote:
I suspect over the next couple weeks/months ebay is going to see an unusual amount of new Canadian accounts. That much is a given.

That spike is most certainly going to put pressure on verifying Canadian accounts. I wonder what they will do. I actually think this US SSN issues is going to spill over and cause Canadians grief too. So we are not "laughing" - Just by having Canadian accounts we will soon come under new scrutiny. Hope I'm wrong. But wait and watch. I bet something will pop up over the horizon.
I doubt it, you are making it seem like there is an army of us making so many ⊗⊗⊗⊗ accounts that it is uncontrollable, in reality canada revenue just wants to see some money so ALL the accounts don't get away clean from their eyes, they don't care about a few thousand accounts that might slip the cracks, ebay/paypal have over 200 million accounts registered.
Old 07-14-2010
Executive [VIP]

Quote:

you are making it seem like there is an army of us making so many ⊗⊗⊗⊗ accounts that it is uncontrollable
You think its just a handful? There is an army of ⊗⊗⊗⊗ accounts, no doubt... Just half a percent is a million, 1% is two million....
Old 07-15-2010

Quote:
You think its just a handful? There is an army of ⊗⊗⊗⊗ accounts, no doubt... Just half a percent is a million, 1% is two million....
Ok, but how many of those accounts are just created and sitting dormant or are just secondary accounts or whatever? I would say the actual stealth/⊗⊗⊗⊗ accounts that are making any significant income are pretty low in numbers percentage wise.