Shill Bidding Notice??? MC038 Kind of scared....advice? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 07-13-2010

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 79%
Default Shill Bidding Notice??? MC038 Kind of scared....advice?

Hi guys, I am new here, but relieved to have found these forums.

I just got a notice from ebay that they removed my listings (only 2 of them, I don't sell much on ebay) due to shill bidding on some other listings that ended already (I sold 4 pieces of jewelry and 1 dress).

Basically what happened was I listed four pieces of jewelry. This listings were up and had bids already. I was telling my grandmother about it, and she said "Oh why didn't you tell me about the jewelry, I would have bought it from you". So I told her to create a profile (well I did it for her) and bid on the items. I had NO IDEA that this wasn't allowed. I don't sell much at all on ebay, just purchase a lot.

She didn't end up winning any of the auctions anyway, but she did try.

So I get this notice saying that they suspected shill bidding and they removed the other two listings I had up. I had to take a tutorial and it seems my account is fine now, but I think I can only sell at a fixed price for a short time.

What really concerned me was that it said in the tutorial that they could pursue "criminal" action if they choose to! Is this for real? Could I get in serious trouble for this?? I wrote to them and explained my situation, but haven't heard back yet.

I would appreciate any advice/info you have.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 07-13-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,908 Times in 8,201 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

Don't worry about criminal action. No harm was done - it's a standard disclaimer.

They probably identified shill bidding based on your IP match and such. If you need to do this, has to be separate computer, separate connection.

Welcome to the boards.
Old 07-13-2010
Threadstarter  

thanks rsot...I feel better now. I had no idea it was against ebay policy (or the law for that matter) to have a family member or friend bid on your auctions....I was shocked!

I guess it's a good sign that they didn't suspend my account, I just had to take the tutorial and now it seems I'm back up and running
Old 07-13-2010
Executive [VIP]

Don't do any more violations and you'll be fine. It is quite against eBay policy ha - that's the policy of shill bidding. No harm done though - i remember way way way back when this was rampant on eBay - good times with money orders and checks, etc.
Old 07-13-2010
Threadstarter  

Just curious though, has there ever been a case of someone being arrested for this type of thing?? It seems silly to me.
Old 07-13-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,192 Posts
Longevity: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkles5276 View Post
Just curious though, has there ever been a case of someone being arrested for this type of thing?? It seems silly to me.
no it has never happened, you are just violating the terms on ebay thats all
Old 07-13-2010
Threadstarter  

hmmmmm...interesting! So why does it say in their "tutorial" that criminal prosection is possible? Just to scare the crap out of idiots like me? LOL
Old 07-13-2010
Executive [VIP]

Same reason why it says criminal prosecution is possible for ripping the tag off of a bed mattress....
Old 07-13-2010

Longevity: 80%

Quote:
So I told her to create a profile (well I did it for her) and bid on the items. I had NO IDEA that this wasn't allowed.
Doesn't sound like shill bidding to me, if she actually was seriously bidding on the items.

Quote:
no it has never happened, you are just violating the terms on ebay thats all
Yeah it has: ⊗⊗⊗⊗ Bidder Sentenced For eBay Scam - Yahoo! News UK

But that guy was doing big sales and probably did nothing to protect himself. He also avoided jail time.
Old 07-13-2010
Threadstarter  

I did read about that...but that was in the UK right?
Old 07-13-2010

Quote:
I did read about that...but that was in the UK right?
Whoops, I guess the article link changed, I can't view it. My bad. But you get the idea. Yeah it was in the UK. I have a feeling they were probably looking to make an example of someone, and he got greedy and in over his big bald head.
Old 07-15-2010
Threadstarter  

I have spoken with someone at ebay through the Livehelp chat, and they recommended I write an appeal to the Trust and Safety Dept. to try to remove the shilling violation they placed on my account.

Wrote the appeal two days ago but haven't heard a peep back. I guess maybe I just better leave well enough alone and wait for the 14 days to pass?

I just don't like that I was accused of shill bidding when that's not what happened.
Old 07-15-2010

^^^^^
wont work they do what they want. They might never answer to be honest.

move on no cops will be at your door for shill bidding...

if your worried about keeping a prestine record with ebay...buy the book and create you a new one with new info...maybe Steve "the shill" Bidderson.
Old 07-15-2010
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogernaut View Post
^^^^^
wont work they do what they want. They might never answer to be honest.

move on no cops will be at your door for shill bidding...

if your worried about keeping a prestine record with ebay...buy the book and create you a new one with new info...maybe Steve "the shill" Bidderson.
I think I got a bit scared reading through their "tutorial". To be honest, I don't even sell that much on ebay. Just purchase a lot (too much sometimes). I will just let this go.
Old 07-15-2010
Executive [VIP]

Yes, chalk it up to experience learned and be on your "merry" way.
Old 07-15-2010
Threadstarter  

thx again everyone for the advice. I love these forums!
Old 07-15-2010

I one time tried to give myself feedback using the same IP and computer and got an automatic warning, then I thought I'd better go to the library. I did from there.
That account is still ok but it is a buyers account. However, if they ever figured out that was me then it will get suspended as well.

Somehow, they were not smart enough by then!!
Old 07-15-2010
Subscribed [VIP]

Longevity: 81%

yes it was on the news last week over here in the UK. He was ordered to pay £5000 fine and a 30 day community service and also went to prison for 2 years.
Old 07-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by billieshakespeare View Post
yes it was on the news last week over here in the UK. He was ordered to pay £5000 fine and a 30 day community service and also went to prison for 2 years.
According to that article he avoided jail time (no prior offenses or something), are you sure? Seems silly to send a guy to prison for 2 years AND give him 30 days community service... lol.
Old 07-17-2010

Longevity: 87%

Quote:
Hi guys, I am new here, but relieved to have found these forums.

I just got a notice from ebay that they removed my listings (only 2 of them, I don't sell much on ebay) due to shill bidding on some other listings that ended already (I sold 4 pieces of jewelry and 1 dress).

Basically what happened was I listed four pieces of jewelry. This listings were up and had bids already. I was telling my grandmother about it, and she said "Oh why didn't you tell me about the jewelry, I would have bought it from you". So I told her to create a profile (well I did it for her) and bid on the items. I had NO IDEA that this wasn't allowed. I don't sell much at all on ebay, just purchase a lot.

She didn't end up winning any of the auctions anyway, but she did try.

So I get this notice saying that they suspected shill bidding and they removed the other two listings I had up. I had to take a tutorial and it seems my account is fine now, but I think I can only sell at a fixed price for a short time.

What really concerned me was that it said in the tutorial that they could pursue "criminal" action if they choose to! Is this for real? Could I get in serious trouble for this?? I wrote to them and explained my situation, but haven't heard back yet.

I would appreciate any advice/info you have.
Hi,

This isn't shill bidding, your friends and family can bid on your listings, ebay has simply misidentified this as being shill bidding, they use automated systems to do this.

They cant pursue it criminally because you have committed no crime, thats just a standard notice.