Signature Confirmation & PayPal Seller Protection - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Old 07-19-2010

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 79%
Default Signature Confirmation & PayPal Seller Protection

PayPal Seller Protection

I sold an item in the $500 range on eBay recently. Buyer paid through PayPal...

I ship the item out with Signature Confirmation through USPS and I even Print the shipping label through PayPal shipping using the buyers Verified address from the transaction details page.

Several days pass and the tracking shows Delivered and Signed for but the signature is not the name of the winning bidder...

The Buyer contacts me 3 days later and says he never got the package. Says the name that the tracking shows is not his name and he has no idea who it is. Says USPS must have delivered to the wrong address...

Ok, so Am I Protected?? Or will PayPal give him the $500+ back if he files an Item Not Received claim?

Sure, I have proof but the signature is NOT his signature. It's a different name. Perhaps he signed a different name on purpose? who knows.

I had the USPS e-mail me the Record they keep of the Delivery Address + Signature from the person who signs and guess what... The Information on the form is IMPOSSIBLE TO READ. I'm not kidding, it's just a scribbled address that you cannot even make out, same for the signature. Very Strange.

I wonder if I'll loose the claim (if and when it comes) because PayPal will say the Signature is not that of the Buyer but someone else?

I'll let you know what happens.

PayPal Seller Protection

Last edited by aspkin; 05-16-2018 at 11:39 PM.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 07-19-2010

Longevity: 86%

To be protected you would have to ship with RESTRICTED SIGNATURE CONFIRMATION for an item that costly. What if that person lives with 5 other roomates and one of them signs and keeps the item? Unlikely, but can happen. He obviously knows the rules of paypal and you will probably lose this one. What you can do though is call the post office that delivers to this persons address, ask to speak to the supervisor and give the supervisor the persons address, state your problem and ask to speak with the carrier so that you can be sure that this person did indeed sign for the package, the supervisor will probably let you speak with the carrier (be sure to call between 8:00AM-9:30AM, since that is when the carriers are still in the office) and ask that carrier if the person who signed for the package was such and such because you can not read the signature. Now this will probably not help you with paypal claim, but it will give you an idea of what is going on. Make sure to keep track of the supervisor's name and carrier's name you speak to so when he does contact paypal, you can let him know you spoke with such and such and they told you that he did in fact sign for the package and you were instructed to place a fraud complaint with his post office so they can track his mail. That will usually do it. Good Luck though!
Old 07-20-2010
Threadstarter  

Default Restricted Signature Confirmation

PayPal has no option for "Restricted" Signature Confirmation on their site when you print the shipping label. Nor do they place any such requirement on the seller.

Their terms of use only state that the package must be shipped with Signature Confirmation for any item over $250.00 and sent to the address on the transaction details page.
Old 07-20-2010

Longevity: 81%

The same thing happened to me....but I was the buyer in this case... Paypal didn't help me in any way... I lost an item and $120 ... :(
Old 07-20-2010

Longevity: 89%

sig confirmation - paypal should cover from my 2 prior experiences
Old 07-21-2010
Executive [VIP]

Its so hard to say. I've been burned with signature proof a few times. Here lies the problem: Buyer does a chargeback via credit card company paypal will not fight it. They say they will try. They will not

All you can do is try and hope for the best. There really seems to be no rhyme or reason on these things. I've won when it was shaky at best in my favor. I've lost when I practically had the receivers fingerprints.
Old 07-21-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,192 Posts
Longevity: 91%

well from my experience in the UK, if there is ANY signature and tracking shows delivered online and and you have the proof of tracking with address on it, then seller would win case under paypals rules.
Old 07-23-2010
Threadstarter  

Default Update... Buyer just filed a claim with eBay

I'm going to keep this updated so the information is available to others in the future if they have similar problems.

The buyer filed his dispute through eBay today for Item Not Received.

My PayPal account is now Negative the $500 for the payment I received due to a HOLD of funds due to the case being opened by the buyer. (I withdrew my $$ from my PayPal account a week ago when the buyer first complained about this problem...

I provided eBay with my tracking info and the paypal unique transaction id for the shipping label that was printed through Paypal.

Now it's the buyers turn to respond to the case and either continue communicating or escalate it and let eBay decide.

I'll let you know what happens.
Old 07-24-2010
Threadstarter  

Default Buyer Canceled disputer before eBay could reach a decision

Well, I provided all my tracking information numbers along with the shipping label unique transaction ID from PayPal to eBay and then I (The Seller) escalated the dispute to eBay customer service so they could make a decision.

The Case was in dispute for about 24 hours before... Get this... OUT OF THE BLUE... The BUYER canceled the dispute.

I read his last comment...

It appears the "Lost" item suddenly appeared and he now has it.

If you ask me 100% SCAM attempt against me... He thought if he pushed this issue far enough I would cave in and just give him a refund.

But the case is closed now so this issue is over.
Old 07-24-2010
Executive [VIP]

sweet that he backed down. Always nice. Especially on 500 bones.
Old 07-25-2010
Threadstarter  

Default PayPal Hold not released after dispute is closed??

Well, I may have spoke too soon..

When the Buyer filed the eBay dispute PayPal placed a HOLD on the $500 Payment I received over 2 weeks ago from the buyer.

I had already withdrawn all the money out of my PayPal account to my Bank Account so My PayPal account is now Negative $500.

Even though eBay said the dispute is now CLOSED... My PayPal account is strangely STILL Negative the $500...

I mean you would think eBay would let PayPal know the dispute is CLOSED and they can release the Hold on my funds now...

I wonder how long it will take for PayPal to release this HOLD and allow my balance to return to Positive. I only had about .68 cents in the account at the time the dispute was filed with eBay and the Hold was placed.

I mean it's been like 24 hours now since the eBay dispute was Closed and the HOLD is still there, my PayPal account is still negative like $500 bucks...
Old 07-26-2010

Longevity: 82%

Paypal is known to screw sellers in limiting accts. From what i know if you have just the tracking info. and PP can verify it then you usually will win. I had a buyer that siad they only received one out of 3 boxes of product. PP held the funds. I submitted only one tracking number because thats all they give space for. Sure enough I won. Then a few days latter the 2 other boxes came back. They were send to address incorrectly and PP was giving me teh money. I did the right thing and refunded the additional $ though..
Old 07-28-2010
Threadstarter  

Default Hold was lifted, PayPal funds now available

I had to call eBay and PayPal and speak with Customer Service but they finally released my $500 that was on Hold over the dispute.

Thankfully the issue is now over.

SO to recap what happened:

1. I sold an item on eBay for around $500. Buyer paid through PayPal.

2. I ship the item with Tracking and Signature Confirmation to the buyers address on the PayPal transaction details page as required for all items over $250 in value.

3. Tracking information shows item Delivered and Signed For.

4. Buyer contacts me saying item was NOT RECEIVED and that he has no idea who signed for it because it's not his name or anyone he knows...

5. Buyer and I communicate for 3-4 days. I keep telling the buyer CHECK with your Postal Carrier!! Talk to your Neighbors!! Go by your local post office and Talk with them!! Someone signed for it, Someone MUST have it!!

6. The USPS Signature Confirmation provides a record of the ADDRESS + Signature for this package and you can have these e-mailed to you for free. It's right there on the tracking page near the bottom. This record however on my package was impossible to read, just scribbled nonsense...

7. Buyer files an ITEM NOT RECEIVED dispute with eBay.

8. I provide my Tracking information and since the shipping label was printed through PayPal's website I also provide the PayPal unique transaction ID for this shipping label. Then I ESCALATE the dispute to eBay so they can make a decision. (According to what eBay requires, I SHOULD win this dispute)

9. As soon as the Buyer notices I escalated this to eBay... They CLOSE the dispute. Seems the Package Suddenly appears!! They add in the closing details of the dispute that their Neighbor had the package.

I say... Bull_hit... This guy was trying to scam me into a refund. Thought I would cave in and issue him a refund if he pushed it far enough. Then he sees ME Escalate the dispute. (I'm sure he did not expect that) and decides to call it quits on the scam. I can't prove this but this is the feeling I got from his communication.

Well, the FIRST THING I said to the buyer when I was made aware of the problem was CHECK WITH YOUR NEIGHBORS!! I kept telling him to TALK to his postal carrier!! The USPS Postal Carriers are not stupid they REMEMBER a lot of what they deliver and where they deliver it. They also notice if fishy stuff is going on such as people signing the WRONG NAME on purpose when packages are delivered.

10. Dispute is closed but PayPal does not release the Hold no my funds... I have to call them to get it released.
Old 07-28-2010
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 90%

Thats good that you had your finger on the pulse. Well done for sorting that out.