seller protection for not as described?? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2010

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 79%
Default seller protection for not as described??

ok, I just sold a $900 cpu to someone in spain.. I took it out of a working system the very day I posted it, now he writes he wants to send back cause it's not working and he is obviously hi tech and tried many things including another same type cpu which does boot.

now assuming (and please do) this is a 100% case of a buyer rendering a 100% working cpu, non functional, due to damage overclock or whatever (postal damage I am excluding), then what do I do from here? does paypal protect sellers in such cases at all?!??!

any tips on what I should do?

as of now:

15 days since pp payment

guy asks for my address cause he appaerntly threw out envelope

no paypal claim opened yet

what to do????

p.s. this was an through ebay deal

tnx!!!
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 08-18-2010

Longevity: 91%

Is this a Stealth account? This buyer obviously knows what they are doing...Check them out on eBay and see their pattern...eBay an PP side with the buyer MOST of the time...Unless you can prove it worked when it shipped then it will be hard with a claim, if filed but, I'm guessing the claim will be coming forthwith...
Old 08-18-2010
Threadstarter  

no friend, a regular account

given no pp claim and no more envelope with my address, how about screwing those who try to screw you and making him ship this to either: bad address where no one picks up (but I guess then it'd just retuern to him) or sending it to some exsiting address (nto someone I know necessarily) and someone else gets it and signs for it.. what would paypal do then?

or how about I somehow buy myself some tiem to get this past the 45 days? how can I buy time?

don't tell me anyone on ebay can just buy any working piece of electronics or computers, then burn it and damage rendering it unusable and then return for full refund as if nothing happened?!? that would be an outrage.
Old 08-18-2010
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 86%

You have to take it back. He says it will not work. What can you do.

If you don't he will file a chargeback and leave neg. He wants to return it. You have no choice but to take it back. Thats eBay and that's that

Get it returned. Maybe if you are lucky its ok. Or if you had it insured try filing a claim with postal service. But bottom line, let him send it back. It sucks, believe me I know. But that's just how it is
Old 08-18-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Dont send internationally again Also PRAY the buyer is not smart enough to go thro' ebay if you do not try for resolution.
Old 08-18-2010
Threadstarter  

thanks I appreciate your honest reply. well, I don't want to be lucky. I want to be fair. and fair is about a buyr not damaging something, then returning it, and getting full money back. therefore I am tryign to find a solution to work around this.
Old 08-18-2010
Threadstarter  

well.. the guy said he'd ship it back from spain with:
"express certificate 5-10 days."

any idea if this has signature.. cause if it doesn't and item is over $250 which it is, then he's kinda screwed right?
Old 08-18-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolok View Post
don't tell me anyone on ebay can just buy any working piece of electronics or computers, then burn it and damage rendering it unusable and then return for full refund as if nothing happened?!? that would be an outrage.
Sorry, but that is a fact. It happens all the time. An outrage, YES. But also reality.

I don't see this working out for you, unfortunately.

The thing is, there is no way that you can prove to eBay/PayPal that the processor was working when you sent it. The buyer will claim he did nothing to damage the processor and that it was simply not working when it arrived.

As for the return, using another address won't help. Even if eBay/PayPal decided in your favor, the buyer can still do a chargeback. And PayPal will just pass that cost along to you, there is no way they will eat it.

The only option I see here is that if this is a STEALTH account, you can try to wothdraw the money from PayPal and then walk away from the account. This would also involve closing the bank account attached to PayPal.

I wish I could give you better news. I have also been scammed before, and it sucks, no doubt about it.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffweico For This Useful Post:
pod (08-18-2010)
Old 08-18-2010
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
then he's kinda screwed right?
You say you want to be fair but you want to get out of this Scott free. You cant have it both ways. You have any proof he broke it? No.

You cant get away from this. If he paid with his credit card he gets his money back if he wants with a phone call. All you will end up with is the exact same deal plus add your account getting damaged. Its your call. Try and dodge him. If it works out to your benefit you got lucky.
Old 08-18-2010
Executive [VIP]

Is it just me or are there a lot of cake and eat it questions around these days?

What has happened to taking responsibility with what you do?

OP needs to deal with the buyer to achieve a resolution. He also needs to re-value where he ships items. Sometimes that mighty dollar for an international sale is not worth the troubles.
IMHO, not only does the OP need to try to resolve this but he needs to change his selling methods.
Old 08-18-2010
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBean View Post

He also needs to re-value where he ships items.
I agree 100%. It reduces sales when you reduce where you ship. But it also reduces shipping headaches. I used to ship anywhere but now just a few countries where I am comfortable with their shipping systems. Shipping issues vanished almost completely.
Old 08-18-2010
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBean View Post
Is it just me or are there a lot of cake and eat it questions around these days?

What has happened to taking responsibility with what you do?

OP needs to deal with the buyer to achieve a resolution. He also needs to re-value where he ships items. Sometimes that mighty dollar for an international sale is not worth the troubles.
IMHO, not only does the OP need to try to resolve this but he needs to change his selling methods.
thank you
good advice no doubt

but there can be no working with a buyer who wants to return an item he rendered non functional.

there is no excuse for it, no explanation and no solution to reach. if a buyr gets a working item then renders it non working, it is his doing, his problem and his responsability.

I can't believe someone here may be making me look like the bad guy for finding it unfair if a person breaks an item and then wants to return it for full refund saying he received it non working.
Old 08-18-2010
Executive [VIP]

Quote:

it is his doing, his problem and his responsability.

In a perfect world, yes. Nobody is trying to make you out as a monster. The point is this is eBay. And if we choose to sell on eBay we have to live with things like this. Thats just the way it is.

We don't use eBay and PayPal because they are awesome. We use them because we want to for the traffic and sales. We don't follow eBay and PayPal rules because they are awesome. We have to.
Old 08-19-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

Quote:
I can't believe someone here may be making me look like the bad guy for finding it unfair if a person breaks an item and then wants to return it for full refund saying he received it non working.
It is not that anyone here sees you as the bad guy. eBay and PayPal can be VERY difficult to deal with and they almost always side with the buyer.

Nobody was saying that you deserved this. We are trying to point out the reality of dealing with eBay/PayPal. You are looking at this from a logical perspective. Logic does not apply to eBay. Fairness does not apply to eBay. Reason does not apply to eBay.

Not just for you, for all sellers. Why do you think this forum is so popular? Because eBay is fair, reasonable and logical? If they were, there would be no need for this forum.

The advice to re-evaluate your business methods is valid. There are more potential problems with international transactions. Selling electronics is high risk, ESPECIALLY when you are talking about a CPU. Static electricity can kill these things. Your buyer probably DID short it out. But they do not want to be out $900, so using eBay to their advantage, they are making it YOUR PROBLEM.

It is not fair, but that is how doing business on eBay works. That is simply reality. Don't take it personally. So you may want to re-evaluate what you are selling, where you are willing to ship it to, and the level of risk you are willing to take.

Last edited by jeffweico; 08-19-2010 at 12:15 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffweico For This Useful Post:
winniekuok (08-19-2010)
Old 08-21-2010

I won't sell anything of value overseas...Canada is tough enough sometimes
Old 08-21-2010
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
thank you
good advice no doubt

but there can be no working with a buyer who wants to return an item he rendered non functional.

there is no excuse for it, no explanation and no solution to reach. if a buyr gets a working item then renders it non working, it is his doing, his problem and his responsability.

grrr. Can you PROVE BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT the buyer broke the item? You have not seen the packaging at the delivery address. You are in a ''he said you say'' situation. Think yourself the bad guy if you need to, I'm giving you a pov based on what info you have....do you understand that?
Old 08-24-2010

Longevity: 80%

Don't know who is to blame. Have him take a picture of the box it arrived in and the chip. If it shows no signs of damage, most likely he is the one who damaged it.
If it is your real paypal account and $900 is not a big amount to your monthly total profit, tell him to send back chip and then refund him after inspection.
If it is a stealth account, you have the option of canceling the CC and bank linked to it and tell him to file dispute through ebay. They will refund him on your behalf and then try to charge anything the can linked to your Ebay or Paypal account. If there is nothing there the account will go negative and any future payments would be applied to it.
So basically, you will be killing your ebay account and paypal account, but he will get his refund.
Up to you to decide if it is worth it.
Closed Thread