IP Address Q&A - Proxies, AOL, VPN, Broadband - IP Tracking - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Subscriber's Area > Subscriber Discussions

Subscriber Discussions The juicy stuff...

Old 11-24-2007
Administrator

Thanked 4,228 Times in 1,792 Posts
Activity: 4%
Longevity: 100%
Default IP Address Q&A - Proxies, AOL, VPN, Broadband - IP Tracking

One of the most important aspects in creating an eBay account is making sure you IP address is unique to eBay. You IP address is the number one way eBay can identify you and your accounts. Every time you log into eBay, your IP address is recorded. Not just when you create an account but every time you log in. If you forget to change your ip address one day, and you accidentally log into multiple accounts using the same IP, consider those accounts linked.

What is an IP Address:
Quote:
An IP address (Internet Protocol address) is a unique address that certain electronic devices currently use in order to identify and communicate with each other on a computer network utilizing the Internet Protocol standard (IP)—in simpler terms, a computer address.
IP Tracking: EBay uses your IP address to track your location and to link you to an account. Every time you log into your eBay account, your ip address is recorded and kept in eBay's system forever.

Sharing an IP address with a suspended user will sometimes link accounts; this is especially true when there are similarities between accounts. If the accounts have no similarities then it's harder for eBay to link. A large network where there could be multiple users using the same IP address is the reason why eBay can't just suspend your account for sharing an IP. But eBay does seem to keep a closer eye on you, waiting for you to slip up like forgetting to delete cookies of another account when logging in.

Note: Something to watch out for when changing your IP address, make sure you don't end up with the same ip address you've used with another eBay account. Every time you change your IP address, your ISP cycles through available IPs, and sometimes you end up with an IP address you had weeks ago. It's best to keep a log of your IP addresses to make sure you don't reuse the same one for multiple accounts.

How to find your IP Address:

Using Proxies: Using a proxy IP address to connect to eBay will sometimes cause problems like limitations and suspensions to your account. EBay uses the unauthorized 3rd party excuses when limiting you. To reduce limitations, make sure not to make any major changes to your account while using a proxy.

AOL: AOL proxies have shown better results for users then any other proxy service. EBay knows AOL's IP addresses are proxies, and so they give AOL users more leeway. But be careful about your IP address being the same each time you log in. Make sure to keep a log of IP addresses you use when logging into your account; try not to use the same IP address for multiple accounts.

Download the AOL Browser at Free Software From AOL - Discover AOL, and sign up for a new account; it's as simple as that. When you finish downloading the software, install it and select new user. When asked to pay for your account, click cancel, and you'll receive an offer for a temporary FREE account. Click okay, continue. When you use AOL's browser, your IP address is masked.

Virtual Private Network: Another option for connectivity is a VPN (virtual private network). VPNs are better then most proxies, but still not ideal. When looking for a VPN, do research on the company you go with. Find the location of their servers, and create your eBay account accordingly. Most suspensions occur when you create an account out of the range of your IP address. EBay calls this inconsistent, and suspends you account. With a VPN, you're usually able to get a Static IP address, or even dynamic IP address per account. Do a Google search for more information.

Virtual private network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you are suspended because of a proxy connection, you are usually able to request reinstatement without a problem.

How to Change Your IP Address: Most ISP (internet service providers) allows you to change your IP address. If you ISP does not then it's time to switch.

Using a Router: Having a router as we all know is great! It shares your IP address with other computers in your network, which makes it a must have. The bad thing about a router is it retains your IP until you RESET it. It holds on for dear life and makes it a pain in the ass to change. It may be easier to direct connect to your modem. To reset your router, you can do this with software.

Cox Cable: Usually turning your modem off for a few minutes and then back on will change your IP. If you're using a router, you'll need to reset it to accept the new IP address. This will work for most dynamic IP addresses.

Comcast: Most Comcast subscribers use a Static IP address. In order to change your IP address, you'll need figure out when you IP address is set to expire. Go to command prompt, (start, run, 'CMD'), then type in IPCONFIG /ALL. Look for 'lease expire date'; this is when you IP address will expire. To change your IP address, all you have to do is keep your modem off the day the IP expires. When you start up again, your IP should be different. Your IP address expires weekly.

USB and Ethernet Port Options: A member suggested if you're having problems changing your IP address with a cable modem. You can do it with USB / Ethernet Ports. First of all you must have a modem with both an Ethernet port and USB port. The idea is both ports have their own IP address. So what this guy does is switch between ports whenever he wants to change his IP address. Basically unplug the Ethernet cord and plug in the USB to your computer and restart your modem, you should have a new IP address when you start up. To switch back unplug the USB cord and plug in your Ethernet, and restart your modem again. Make sure to leave your unused port unplugged to release it's IP address to switch over whenever you need to.

Still Having Problems? Try turning your cable modem off overnight. The longer it's off, the better chances or you'll have being assigned a new IP.

Other Options: Using a long range wireless adapter, you're usually able to pick up unsecured connections pretty easy. Use this as a temporary solution; in some states it's illegal to steal your neighbor's internet. You can also go to your local library, Starbucks, or Gaming Café and use their connection/computers.

Command Prompt: If you don't know what Command Prompt is, go to 'Start' and then 'Run', and type in 'cmd' or 'command'; and press enter. A black screen should pop up, that's command prompt.

Command Prompts that'll help!
  • Ipconfig (shows your IP configuration)
  • Ipconfig /all (shows ALL information about your IP configuration)
  • Ipconfig /renew (renews your IP address)
  • Ipconfig /release (releases your IP address)
  • Ipconfig /help (displays other ipconfig commands)

Random Note: If you're using a router your true IP address won't be shown using ipconfig. You'll need to go to IPBurger.com to view your IP.

Dial UP:
Works great but the obvious problem is a slow connection.

How your IP address and cookies work: An IP address without cookies means nothing to eBay. But if forget to clear your cookies and you're on eBay with a suspended IP address, this will link you. Remember always to delete you browser cookies after each session. Use Firefox to automate this for you.

That's it for now!
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 11-25-2007

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 95%

PERFECT! Thanks Very Much! Its very helpful to see everything recapped in 1 section, at our fingertips. Thanks, Aspkin
Old 11-25-2007
Administrator
Threadstarter  

Yep, glad you liked it.
Old 11-26-2007

aspkin, I have a router, I unplugg it and it still reads the same ip- what can I do?
Old 11-26-2007
Administrator
Threadstarter  

You need to reset it. There should be a button on the router, press and old it for 30 seconds. Or go into the software part, type http://192.168.0.1/ into any browser, a pompt screen should pop up, type admin as the user name, with no password. And you can reset it that way as well.

Once you reset it, then change your ip address by modem. Your router then should take the new IP.

It's a pain though.
Old 11-28-2007

I have t3, no modeum. That didn't work:( any ideas?
Old 11-30-2007

Longevity: 96%

Secondplaygames, sounds like your on a corporate network. T3 are not available for residential use.
Old 11-30-2007

Longevity: 96%

most routers are 192.168.0.1 however I have also found that some brands use 192.168.1.1 (Netgear)
Old 12-05-2007
MU

Longevity: 97%
Send a message via Yahoo to koalawash

aspkin, you mention making sure not to log on to AOL with the same address being the same each time you log in but in my experience I haven't even needed to keep track of this.

Another thing is, when I go over to the site What Is My IP Address? - Lookup IP, Hide IP, Change IP, Trace IP and more... (which normally gives some kind of IP, even when you're using a proxy) through AOL it will say that it cannot detect my IP at all and that it's completely anonymous. So I really wouldn't know how to "check my IP" each time I log in anyway. :o

So what's the deal with this? I don't know how it works for most people.. I'm logging in to AOL through a cable broadband connection.
Old 12-06-2007
Administrator
Threadstarter  

Some users have complained about AOL IP rotating between the same IPs often, just wanted to give a little warning.

Try my site: IP Burger - What is my IP Address? Find Your IP Address! It seems to work.
Old 12-07-2007

verso, t3 is availble for residential use. surewest.com
Old 12-07-2007

worth every penny
Old 12-07-2007
MU

How fast is the T3? Unfortunately I'm not in their service area. :(
Old 12-07-2007
Banned

It all depends on how many people is sharing the line.. T3 is just a direct connection. No hops, routes etc...
Old 12-07-2007
MU

Yeah I know, but I'm just wondering what kind of speeds he happens to get on average.
Old 12-09-2007

20mb upload, crazy fast! love it- I am a she. lol
Old 12-09-2007
MU

Well, color me embarrassed. :o

But yeah that's insane! Much less for upload!!
Old 01-01-2008

Longevity: 94%

HI I heard that you are more scrutinized by ebay and paypal if you create and account using the aol proxy? I use comcast and IE and have tried twice with DBA, changing my ip, clearing cookies, etc but was flagged the first time by ebay to verify identity and the second account by paypal after I had done about $17k in transfers in 30-45 days (i think that's what got me there). I sell high risk items so i guess this is my problem. It seems as though I will always be looking over my shoulder? Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to poopdeck For This Useful Post:
valeriea920 (08-30-2012)
Old 01-01-2008
Administrator
Threadstarter  

I would suggest a merchant account. Forget about Paypal if you're doing that kind of volume with one account. EBayhatLuv might be able to help you with this.
Old 01-02-2008

Longevity: 94%

Thanks bro, L&L
Old 03-06-2008

Longevity: 93%

i have a question, if cookies are so important to be used and flushed at the end of every session, is it possible to just set firefox or some third party app to just reject all ebay cookies before they even get into your computer, just a thought ??? cheers
Old 03-07-2008
Administrator
Threadstarter  

Yes, but you need cookies to login in and to edit your account details. Just set firefox to auto delete cookeis after you close the browser and you'll be fine.