A Friend is giving me his Ebay Account but not Paypal - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Old 09-20-2010

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 79%
Default A Friend is giving me his Ebay Account but not Paypal

My buddy is giving me his Ebay account which is almost three years old and also has 100+ excellent feedbacks (good friend I know). However, he isn't giving me his linked paypal because his SS# is attached.

1) Would it be bad if I un-linked his current paypal, opened up a new paypal using his name, and linked that one instead?

2) Since I would be using a brand new paypal account, would I basically have to treat it like a brand new Ebay/Paypal duo and sell things very carefully and slowly? Or would the 3 year old ebay account give the new paypal account some credibility in paypal's eyes?

Any help would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks!
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 09-20-2010
MU

Longevity: 81%

if you open a new paypal in his name, but use a different address then it can be fine. if you use everything the same for him if you have a problem in the future paypal links it to his old paypal then it could have some trouble with him and his ssn.

of course you have to treat it slow and gentle if it hasent sold anything in a long time.
The Following User Says Thank You to FandangoKango For This Useful Post:
tetelestai7 (09-20-2010)
Old 09-20-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,909 Times in 8,202 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

For number 2, yes always have to treat it slow.

You can't really use a different address - details have to match if you open new Paypal. This can be done but remember, if you get axed or limited, chances are his account will be limited too. Then they will ask for the SSN for the NEW Paypal acount - and you will need his...

Think about that - not worth the potential trouble - unless he says ok, which he has said no (Denied you his Paypal account). 100+ feedback is not much =)

BUT, if you say it's 3+ years old - get a merchant processor and take payments from other means - that's the value of Pre-07 account - look up the idea in the forum $
The Following User Says Thank You to rsot For This Useful Post:
tetelestai7 (09-20-2010)
Old 09-20-2010
Threadstarter  

Ok, it turns out I have access to another account....750 feedback, 100% Feedback, 9 years old...I feel like I struck gold.

However the only stipulation is that he doesn't want any of his personal information on the account. The address, phone number, and last name has to change. I can only keep his first name. Is this going to be a big problem with ebay?
Old 09-20-2010
Threadstarter  

theoretically if someone gets divorced, their last name, phone number, and address changes...so this shouldn't be out of the ordinary right?
Old 09-20-2010

Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetelestai7 View Post
theoretically if someone gets divorced, their last name, phone number, and address changes...so this shouldn't be out of the ordinary right?
You said "he" doesn't want "his" name used.
In most cases men might change their address and phone number in a divorce, but not their last names
Old 09-20-2010
Executive [VIP]

Congratz on getting access to that other account - hope it's legit access =)

Don't go all crazy yet - just because an account is old, doesn't mean you have power of immunity and all that.

New policies will be enforced by eBay on all accounts...so just be aware. All the best.
Old 09-20-2010
Administrator

Thanked 1,568 Times in 861 Posts
Activity: 27%
Longevity: 91%

Quote:
My buddy is giving me his Ebay account which is almost three years old and also has 100+ excellent feedbacks (good friend I know). However, he isn't giving me his linked paypal because his SS# is attached.
Did you tell your friend if you ruin this account he is giving you, it will affect any future eBay accounts he will open.

Plus if your new PayPal account gets limited, that will basically shut down his and render it useless.

None of this matters if he never plans on using eBay or PayPal again.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TGMT² For This Useful Post:
pod (09-20-2010), rsot (09-20-2010)
Old 09-20-2010
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 86%

The age of the account and the feedback = Awesome
Using a friends details = Not awesome

Your buddy wants his info removed, and he should. But its never actually removed. And you must make that clear to him. You cant just change his info and its like he never was there. ANYTHING and EVERYTHING that happens with that account under your control sticks to him. No mater what you do. Period

Forget the age and the feedback. Remember the friendship. Just let it go and do your own thing

Just in the last few weeks we have seen an account under a mothers name being sued for $10,000. Another has 2 brothers and a sister tied into $7,000 debt

Thats just two. Let it go. Its not that valuable anyway. The idea that an old account with a track record is strong or somehow bulletproof is 100% myth. Any account old or new, big or small can get hit with all the same crap

I know you think you found a gold mine, you've said as much. What you found is potentially a giant headache....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pod For This Useful Post:
Bangduck (05-16-2011), GreenBean (09-20-2010)
Old 09-20-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:

1) Would it be bad if I un-linked his current paypal, opened up a new paypal using his name, and linked that one instead?

2) Since I would be using a brand new paypal account, would I basically have to treat it like a brand new Ebay/Paypal duo and sell things very carefully and slowly? Or would the 3 year old ebay account give the new paypal account some credibility in paypal's eyes?

Any help would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks!
Buddies and business never work. Bad move. The fact there is an SSN involved makes the idea sillier. Anything you do wrong on the account can still come back to him. Why? Because there is a record still kept at paypal..... think about that.
The 'buddy' is putting conditions on giving you the account before you even start to use it.That's his right. Why take an account with potential for headaches.
I read the other post about another account. Gold mines run out. The lode of gold dries up. You have an old account, not used so as soon as activity starts on that account, ebay will react.
Read a little more of the forum. Look for MC010 & MC0169. These are limitations that will hinder you.
Think carefully about the buddy deal.
Think more along the lines of nuturing the other account.
Old 09-22-2010
MU

Longevity: 81%

lol, you guys have scared him now. if i were him ide feel sad with all you guys have told me after i just gained access to 2 good accounts, but oh well its all true good advice.
Old 09-22-2010
Executive [VIP]

Best to be scared now and operate safely then become sad when limitations and all kick in.

But true, sad that that the pleasure is momentary but informed = best way to practice.