Dispute after account is closed - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Old 12-08-2007

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 94%
Default Dispute after account is closed

Hey,

I sold an item on ebay and received the payment via paypal. I have since then closed my paypal account and transfered the money to another account and then to my bank. The buyer started a dispute on paypal a few days ago. However, I am not able to respond to anything since my account is closed. I was just wondering if I am liable for anything giving that the paypal account has all ⊗⊗⊗⊗ info, no bank account attached. Is there any chance I lose money after the buyer wins the dispute?

Thanks a lot.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 12-08-2007
MU

Longevity: 97%
Send a message via Yahoo to koalawash

Nope, if you transferred the money to another bank account already there's nothing to worry about. It's all Paypal's problem now.
Old 12-08-2007

Longevity: 95%

Yes, let them use some of the Millions in interest from all of our monies their holding, to pay him....
Old 12-08-2007
Banned

Longevity: 95%

MAke sure you get the money out of the good paypal account. I had those *******s try to reverse a payment, but luckily it left them with a negative balance account.
Old 09-04-2010

Longevity: 79%

When you got the negative payment, did paypal not try and chase you for the cash, I have a similar problem, just transferred the money, but have heard of cases where paypal hound you through threats of court action and debt collectors.
Old 09-04-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,192 Posts
Longevity: 91%

depends on how much it is for, they will chase you if it is worth it for them, they obviously wont for $20 or something
Old 10-06-2010

I dont quite believe this has happened, involved in a snad dispute, paypal decide a refund is due and that the item will be returned in original condition, I know this is not possible because buyer has stated the item is no longer working(he also stated it was working when he got it) the item is returned, not working,. I write paypal a recorded delivery letter stating that the refund conditions have not been met and I dispute the refund (I have a negative balance) the next day I get an email saying the buyer has failed to supply proof that I received the item the case is closed and no refund due.

I log in to my paypal account the account has been unlocked in place of the negative balance I have £1 credit. So I close the account recieve an email saying my pound has been donated to charity. Three days later paypal decide that the item has been returned and have made a refund on my behalf(from the account that I closed 3 days before) I ignore it and eventually recieve another email from paypal collections saying I have to pay, I reply pointing out that in addition to the fact that the buyer did not return the item in its original condition as agreed, they closed the case said no refund was due and they had made a refund from an account that no longer existe.

They also threatened me with the debt collectors and bad credit rating, I pointed out that they would have to take me to court for that and said I would refuse to pay the debt collectors who would eventually return the case to them and invited them to take me to court. I have also changed all the accounts that were connected to the paypal account. Has anyone else come across this situation and would anyone hazard a guess as to what Paypal will do?
Old 10-06-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,909 Times in 8,202 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

This is written way too packed for a paragraph - i would love to respond but it needs more spacing =(

Other people will prob chime in - all the best.
Old 10-06-2010

Longevity: 78%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcubbin View Post
I dont quite believe this has happened, involved in a snad dispute, paypal decide a refund is due and that the item will be returned in original condition, I know this is not possible because buyer has stated the item is no longer working(he also stated it was working when he got it) the item is returned, not working, I write paypal a recorded delivery letter stating that the refund conditions have not been met and I dispute the refund (I have a negative balance) the next day I get an email saying the buyer has failed to supply proof that I received the item the case is closed and no refund due. I log in to my paypal account the account has been unlocked in place of the negative balance I have £1 credit. So I close the account recieve an email saying my pound has been donated to charity. Three days later paypal decide that the item has been returned and have made a refund on my behalf(from the account that I closed 3 days before) I ignore it and eventually recieve another email from paypal collections saying I have to pay, I reply pointing out that in addition to the fact that the buyer did not return the item in its original condition as agreed, they closed the case said no refund was due and they had made a refund from an account that no longer existed,they also threatened me with the debt collectors and bad credit rating, I pointed out that they would have to take me to court for that and said I would refuse to pay the debt collectors who would eventually return the case to them and invited them to take me to court. I have also changed all the accounts that were connected to the paypal account. Has anyone else come across this situation and would anyone hazard a guess as to what Paypal will do?

How much was the refund for?
They are not going to bother if its like £200 lol
Old 10-06-2010
MU

Longevity: 81%

Maybe your buyer did a chargeback with his credit card company so that's what is making you pay now. If your paypal has no use and is ⊗⊗⊗⊗ info then ignore it.
Old 10-07-2010

Sorry about the spacing, it is a bit hard to read. The amount in question is £280, the account was legit, so they will have an address but all connections with other accounts have been sorted i.e numbers changed and my bank has been warned not to entertain Paypal.
To be honest I would not mind them taking me to court, their dispute process is a joke, it would be interesting to see what a court sheriff would make of it. Does anyone know of a case where Paypal have actually gone to court.
Old 10-07-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Have you copies of your paperwork to them? Emails, letters including the certified mail receipt? If so, write a letter denying the debt and give them a copy of their own paper work. Tell them that they are to reply within 21 days to advise that the debt is written off or you will reprot them to the Financial Ombudsman and file in the County Court. Send that certified mail again & possibly (a spam load) emails to say you are denying their claim.

Of course paypal have been threatened with court...
Old 10-07-2010

Longevity: 78%

I would not even bother with a court case, as they have bigger pockets than you.

Would trading standards not deal with that sort of problem?

I would check their website and find the number to call in your area, as it sounds like they are using threatening behavior toward someone that has decided not to do business with them.
The fact they allowed you to close your account in my opinion is what will be on your side and the fact they decided in your favor.

I would phone trading standards and see what they say. At least then you have someone with teeth on your side.
Old 10-25-2010

Thanks for all the advice, they are still pursuing me but I have eventually managed to get some one who has actually read my emails to them, still no reply to my recorded delivery letter, the case I am trying to put to them is that I dispute that I owe them money and should never have been liable to pay a refund.
And that they are welcome to challenge me in a court but have no right to repeatedly harass me with threats of bad credit ratings and debt collectors. I am out of my depth here but is it not the case, if a person totally and repeatedly disputes a debt that the supposed debtor must go through proper legal procedure rather than simply wearing people down with emails and phone calls which say the same thing.
I will go to the ombudsman though I believe I have to initially put case to the Compliance Officer at Paypal I have an address
David Clark
Compliance Officer
Paypal (Europe) Ltd
Hopham House
1 Heron Square
Richmond
Surrey
TW9 1J
anyone know if this is still the guy to go for?
Old 11-26-2010

Default paypal give up

Hi, its taken a while but they have finally given up, and are calling of the dca received an email this morning saying as a goodwill gesture they are re crediting my account. It is without doubt through info I have got from this site and others like it that I have managed to chase them, I have often felt like giving up, it takes up so much time and effort. However I believe I know now how to go about it in a way that will minimise the stress.

1 When you sell a pricey item get the money out of papal quickly, you never know who is going to try and fleece you.

2 As soon as the dispute starts get your letters ready, because it is more than likely you will loose, do not waste your time with emails.

3 As soon as they find against you send a recorded delivery letter to their Compliance Officer,(SEE PREVIOUS POSTS FOR ADDRESS) complaining about the fairness of their dispute process, pr-empt them by stating that you have no interest in their user agreement, and that they are obliged to follow the laws of the uk no matter what their user agreement says. Also point out that as they are signed up to the Financial Ombudsman scheme they must offer you the opportunity to take that option, finish the letter by saying that if after their own investigation they still intend to pursue you, you would like a 'letter of stalemate' from them to enable you to take your complaint to the ombudsman.

4 They will reply eventually (executive escalations) stating that an investigation will take place which could take 8 weeks, they will probably get back to you in 4.

5 While this is happening you will probably be threatened by the paypal minions who seem unaware of the activities of executive escalations, they will probably set the debt collectors on you.

6 As soon as you are contacted by the debt collectors, do not give them any information, they will hang up, but continue calling you every day. Email the executive escalation officer (with this lot you will get a name and they do reply to emails) stating that you are concerned that Paypal have referred the case to a Dca, while a legitimate investigation is taking place and are they aware of the fact that the Financial Ombudman takes a very negative view of these sort of harassment tactics.

7 Its time to wait now, do not get flustered by the debt collectors, pick up the phone, allow them to introduce themselves and calmly state that you have no intention of confirming anything with them and that they should contact you in writing.

8 Unless we are talking about a large sum of money and a very strong case (on their part) i.e you really did sell someone a pile of rubbish, you will win.
Because firstly they do not want the Financial Ombudsman involved (it will cost them over £300 as soon as that happens) and secondly if you show that you are not intimidated and are willing to face them in court, they will never allow it to get that far because they know they will loose.
Hope this helps, all this info is out their and on here. I have just put it together in an order that worked for me, if anyone wants letter templates, addresses pm me.