Facebook the new paypal??? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Old 10-06-2010

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 81%
Default Facebook the new paypal???

Hi Everyone:

Not sure if this has been posted but i found this article interesting. It discusses how Facebook is making moves to become a major player in the online payment processing field and will compete with major players such as Paypal if all goes well...check it out!

http://info.trialpay.com/pr/press_co...dits_09_10.pdf
The Following User Says Thank You to smartyjones312 For This Useful Post:
2003pinkpoodle (10-08-2010)
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 10-06-2010

Longevity: 92%

Nice article. I heard from someone that facebook is going to intergrate paypal into it so that you can sell things from your page.
Old 10-06-2010
MU

Longevity: 81%

Well I see that ebay made an app in facebook to sell, but I don't know about paypal, but if facebook makes a payment processor compared to paypal it would be excellent if they don't become corrupted like paypal.
Old 10-08-2010

Longevity: 86%

Facebook will lose if they try to get in the payment processing arena.

Scammers will flock to them, causing them to shut down..much like most other payment processing services.

PayPal, love them or hate them.. they have their sh!t together and have virtually no competition and they destroy all others who try.
Old 10-08-2010

Longevity: 78%

I don't know if it were not for the enforced use and the brain washing on ebay I think paypal would have been screwed. Personally I would like to see a good international competitor that has a bigger audience than ebay and facebook does. So this may work out for them and everyone else, as if they bring in their other plans then ebay could find they have a competitor that they will struggle with.

I had hoped Nochex would stamp their mark but they are so used to doing everything the British way that they could never get out of the gate.

I hope they do it, but they have been talking about person to person sales for some time on their system and so far I have not seen that appear yet. So who knows?
Old 10-08-2010
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitch View Post
Scammers will flock to them,
Always. Every single electronic payment system gets hammered round the clock non stop with scam attempts. There are dozens of PayPal type systems out there. And they are all usually worse then paypal for problems.

Its extremely difficult for a company to balance their protection with making it as easy as possible for the users to use without getting all in their face. Very difficult

I'll be blunt, think about it. Its not like some company can start up a payment system and it will all be roses and honey for users. I dont care if its facebook, google or whoever.

People seem to think paypals security is for no other reason then to make our lives miserable. And if someone else starts up a system they will be so much easier to use and get our money. Doesn't work that way. Never ever will work that way. Thanks to all the bad guys out there

There never will ever be a payment system where you don't have chargebacks, claims, holds, freezes, closures, etc.

Hate paypal all we want, its pretty easy for sure! But bottom line is they are the big dog out there and they have to be played with when using eBay. Never change.
Old 10-08-2010

But how much longer will ebay be the top dog? So I still think it is a bit naive to think that ebay and its playmate paypal will be for ever. Things are changing too much and that trend is growing and not in ebays favor.

Every seller I know is reporting rises in sales off ebay, and looking at my own sales off ebay I think they are right, as I am seeing a steady rise. If it keeps going like this then I may just look at putting more effort into the alternative options than to keep having to fight for every penny on ebay.

And take ebay out of the equation and I think a competitor will find it very easy to point out the floors in paypals security. Take signing in for an example. Every payment method I have used has a more secure sign in method than paypal. Most of them are closer to banks for signing in, where paypal is closer to a blog or forum.
Others have none member payment options that is easier for the customer if they do not wish to join.

Another thing is their idea of security, I put my password into facebook that I used on paypal, which paypal said was a strong password on their meter. The facebook meter just about started laughing at my piss poor attempt with the same password.

And as for chargebacks other payment systems have handled them better, Nochex used to cover them for you as long as you followed their guidelines, and they would fight your corner, as it was their loss. Google checkout was looking at bringing out an optional insurance charge for chargebacks so you were covered.

but time will tell.
Old 10-08-2010
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by isitworththestress View Post
it is a bit naive to think that ebay and its playmate paypal will be for ever.
*Its a multi billion dollar empire
*Companies have been running at them for a decade without so much a dent

Sorry, its naive to think they will be taken down simply by another company trying to compete

They aren't going anywhere. Even with their self destructive nature. They have a rock solid footing

With the mind boggling amount of money on the line don't think for a minute that some very huge players haven't considered it. And after solid research they move on. The only companies that take a chance and try are the ones that were too naive to do any real research...

Hey, I wish there were 4 auctions sites killing themselves to compete and get my business. But sadly that is not the case. And not likely to be in the near future either....
Old 10-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by pod View Post
*Its a multi billion dollar empire
*Companies have been running at them for a decade without so much a dent

Sorry, its naive to think they will be taken down simply by another company trying to compete

They aren't going anywhere. Even with their self destructive nature. They have a rock solid footing

With the mind boggling amount of money on the line don't think for a minute that some very huge players haven't considered it. And after solid research they move on. The only companies that take a chance and try are the ones that were too naive to do any real research...

Hey, I wish there were 4 auctions sites killing themselves to compete and get my business. But sadly that is not the case. And not likely to be in the near future either....
What and their size protects them and means they will be forever?

I don't think so somehow, anyone remember the Romans or the British empire. Or if you want more recent history titanic like, how about the world banks that just about crippled themselves by making stupid mistakes and thinking they were too big to fall. I know one of them fell and a lot had to be bailed out by their governments. Who is going to bail out ebay? and in recent history there are a few large companies that have falling.

Check them out for yourself Some Major U.S. Companies That Went Bankrupt!

Ebays existence is so fragile all it took to effect sales was for them to have a spat with google, where google refused to show their listings for a week or two. What if that happened for a little longer, when you consider most of my off ebay sales are coming through google.

The naive part is not thinking ahead, use ebay while you can but, it has already proven it can't be relied upon for a long term future.
Old 10-09-2010
Executive [VIP]

I agree they can go at any time for sure. Dont get me wrong. And with the way they treat people they are a prime target to go down hard.

My point is nobody with any real ability will take them on. If someone like google took a run at auctions they could be in big trouble. But google looked at it and decided it was a bad idea.

Someone with the juice to do it needs to step up. And I dont know if anyone will. There are lots of auction sites that never took off. Why? They didnt have the backing to do it right.

I would love to see real competition. They couldn't survive real competition. I just dont see it happening in the near future is all

Buyers like paypal. Buyers love paypal. Thats not going to change. I have credit cards and paypal on one of my sites and 80% pick paypal. Wish they didnt.
Old 10-10-2010

I know people are expecting the one big giant to come along and become the new ebay. But even now without the facebook challenge I do not think it will be one big giant that will take ebay down.
Sellers had put a lot of hard work into making ebay what it was over the years and most like myself feel that it turned on them. So the likely hood is we as sellers will have to look at it in a different way. And in a way google is taking on ebay but without the stress of setting up a selling site, as they are growing to be the search engine used to search for all the things you want. What ebay used to be The one stop shop for all you need and want. That is basically Google products.

If this system continues I agree paypal will survive and grow stronger, as other payment methods will struggle to compete as they have before.

But if facebook do bring in their selling format, and they do automatically bring in their own payment method then I have a feeling they will be doing it to control selling on their site. In which case they are likely to prevent the use of other payment methods.

This however is all speculation on what could happen, as at the moment facebook are talking a lot but doing nothing, but everything is probably more lined up perfectly now for what they are talking about to happen and for them to succeed than it ever has been or possibly ever will be.
Ebay are basically closing down the option for people to sell person to person, as they try to remove the person from their system.
Sellers are probably never more willing than they are now to not just look at but also try out alternatives.
They have a bigger user base than the current biggest selling venue, so they already have the market of possible buyers.
They are the current addictive trend , just as ebay was years ago.

If you were running facebook would you not do it?

Are you pushing sales off ebay onto your website? I read one seller had moved selections of stock to their website and bulk purchases also. So that if buyers want them then they have to buy them there without the sales fees.
It seems to be working for them, as their off ebay sales are rocketing.

A funny thing is happening for them, as they are finding they are not being subjected to the sales dips they have had to face on ebay for years. You know the kind of thing where your sales drop and you put it down to the season or other things like that.
They have not been able to figure why that is happening though.
Old 10-10-2010
Executive [VIP]

Quote:

Ebay are basically closing down the option for people to sell person to person, as they try to remove the person from their system

Sellers are probably never more willing than they are now to not just look at but also try out alternatives
Some good points. If anybody takes them down it will be their own doing

Quote:

Are you pushing sales off ebay onto your website?
As much as I can, you bet! Its 10% less in fees and no games.... I for one would love to have eBay a very small part of my biz.

Stand alone websites are a big ebay killer IMO. Lots of companies were happy to have a huge part of trier business come from eBay. It used to be easy and somewhat cheap. Now they find it hard to justify at all.

ebay is their own worst threat