What happens if you do a chargeback and the seller has no funds? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Old 12-10-2007

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 98%
Question What happens if you do a chargeback and the seller has no funds?

If someone has a buyer account and does a chargeback from their credit card company for a paypal purchase for "not received" or "not as described" and then the seller has no funds in their account and paypal is unable to steal funds from the seller's bank or credit cards, then does paypal then deduct the funds from the buyer's account until they can get it back from the seller?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 12-10-2007
MU

Longevity: 97%
Send a message via Yahoo to koalawash

If it's a credit card chargeback, Paypal doesn't have a choice but to refund the buyer. Even if it's straight out of their own pocket. They will try to get funds back from the seller by any means they can get away with, but either way the buyer WILL get their money back from a chargeback.
Old 12-10-2007
Banned

Longevity: 95%

I won a buyer complaint for $5 and i still have not received the money from paypal, just some generic notice that we have ruled in your favor, and we are trying to get the money from seller, but there is no money in his account so you are basically SOL. Didn't bother going to my CC company for $5, but if i did I am sure my CC company would have taken it from paypal.
Old 12-10-2007
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by koalawash View Post
If it's a credit card chargeback, Paypal doesn't have a choice but to refund the buyer. Even if it's straight out of their own pocket. They will try to get funds back from the seller by any means they can get away with, but either way the buyer WILL get their money back from a chargeback.

Hmmm..... I was curious if paypal can't get the money from the seller on a chargeback, that they'll take it from the buyer.
Old 12-10-2007
MU

Send a message via Yahoo to koalawash

Nope, they can't.. not on a credit card chargeback. Against the credit card companies, Paypal will lose every time. That's why it's so easy for buyers to scam sellers by using Paypal. All someone has to do is wait until their item is received and then file a chargeback with the credit card they funded Paypal payment with. So in the end, the buyer will keep both the money and the item pretty much 100% guaranteed.
Old 12-10-2007
Threadstarter  

I learned even if you have a merchant account, you need an AVS match with zip and street as well as signed delivery to beat a chargeback. Delivery confirmation isn't enough for banks so you gotta make the buyers sign for it.

That pretty much beats the chargeback and likely if you tell paypal you have that, then paypal can defeat the charge. Of course, paypal is evil and may choose not to.
Old 12-11-2007

Longevity: 99%

savahaganda

doing as you suggested you won't hurt PP but a lot of honest sellers.
Think about it.
Old 12-11-2007
Banned

The way I get back at paypal is to list about 100 items on ebay, sell them for price way lower then competition. Buyer pays immediately by paypal, then a day later I refund everyones payment and send them a boiler plate email, saying "Paypal has advised me to refund your payment, citing security concerns over the funding of your paypal account. Please contact them at 1-888-221-1161 to resolve the situation."Usually more then half will call paypal, because they are getting such a great price on the item.
Ties up their customer service for a few hours, and I had 2 buyers tell me they were going to stop using paypal all together because of the all their BS. Great thing is it is perfectly legal.
Old 12-11-2007
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycore View Post
The way I get back at paypal is to list about 100 items on ebay, sell them for price way lower then competition. Buyer pays immediately by paypal, then a day later I refund everyones payment and send them a boiler plate email, saying "Paypal has advised me to refund your payment, citing security concerns over the funding of your paypal account. Please contact them at 1-888-221-1161 to resolve the situation."Usually more then half will call paypal, because they are getting such a great price on the item.
Ties up their customer service for a few hours, and I had 2 buyers tell me they were going to stop using paypal all together because of the all their BS. Great thing is it is perfectly legal.

When I got to "Ties up their customer service for a few hours, and I had 2 buyers tell me they were going to stop using paypal all together". Oh lord that is funny!

Umm... though are you doing it just to get back at paypal with a throwaway ebay / paypal account? Or are you doing it to get a paypal account unlimited? For selling lower than competition, you're using buy-it-nows way low right so they won't just end up bidding it all up?
Old 12-11-2007

Won a buyers complaint last year with mdse from overseas- never to this day have recd the money- paypal sends generic letter saying that they will limit the seller.. thats it.
Old 12-11-2007
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
When I got to "Ties up their customer service for a few hours, and I had 2 buyers tell me they were going to stop using paypal all together". Oh lord that is funny!

Umm... though are you doing it just to get back at paypal with a throwaway ebay / paypal account? Or are you doing it to get a paypal account unlimited? For selling lower than competition, you're using buy-it-nows way low right so they won't just end up bidding it all up?
I do it on a few throw away accounts, but also it is great to do it on limited accounts also. They still allow payments to come in and refunds to be made. You just can't get your the money out, so you might as well screw with them.
I few email back and say after 30 minutes of waiting the paypal customer service monkey told them there was nothing wrong with their account, and they are not allow to tell them what the problem maybe because of customer privacy.
Old 12-21-2007

Quote:
...That's why it's so easy for buyers to scam sellers by using Paypal. All someone has to do is wait until their item is received and then file a chargeback with the credit card they funded Paypal payment with. So in the end, the buyer will keep both the money and the item pretty much 100% guaranteed.
But if a buyer does too many chargebacks for high value items perhaps the CC company would catch on and investigate the buyer for fraud or something.
Old 02-25-2009

Longevity: 90%

I purchased something only to reiceve no answer from the seller in a week and a electronic tracking that only says they're expecting the package from the seller but nothing that says he has actually shipped it. I bought it through a checkout page using my debit card but I was never logged into my paypal account. I'm thinking of doing a chargeback on him becuase i see many people have the same problem as me. Although i never logged into paypal I still got an email from paypal with receipt / order #s etc. What will I need to provide to BankOfAmerica to do the chargeback?
Old 02-25-2009
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 93%

Johnny_88, Look on your BOA (Bank of America) Statement and you will see the transaction amount and trading Name of the Seller. Call BOA customer service and tell them you want to dispute that charge. BOA put a hold on that charge and will then send you a letter to fill out and sign. Then BOA will contact the Paypal and Paypal will contact the Seller for their response. In the meantime you are not liable to pay that charge from BOA until the dispute have been resolved.

Usually if the Seller don't respond within a certain time frame then they will rule in your favor. Even if the seller do respond and provide evidence that they sent it to you and you stated that you never received it, They will still rule in your favor.

BooMer
Old 02-26-2009

I have proof such as his tracking number that he hasnt shipped anything because it still doesn't say shipped. On top of that I have the link to the website he's selling which has 3 seller's with the same problem. I'll do it tomorrow and let you guys know what happens if you're curious.
Old 02-26-2009
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%
Talking

Goes without saying we are curious let us know the outcome, please.
Old 02-27-2009

Default ;]

OK just got off the phone with them. hahaha I hear a lot of stories about BOA but sorry guys I have to say it I love them right now. I've never had any problems with them and all 3 customer services I talked to about this matter had no attitude, no hassle. She asked me what I bought and how much it was. I offered her links, Seller address, Seller businessnames, etc but she didn't need them LOL. She took down my information, told me my amount will be refunded as of tomorrow however the process can take up to 90 days. 90 days scares me a little but I think it'll be OK.

The only thing im worried about is the tracking number he gave me. It is one of those electronic notifications that the post office is expecting it but no verifiecation that he as actually shipped. I'm worried if BOA will understand what this mean. Let's wait and see. I'll keep you guys updated. =D
Old 02-27-2009

How long has it been since you got the tracking number? The electronic shipping notice just means they have used online shipping label and have payed for the shipment, but they have yet to hand the package over to usps to deliver. It says at electronic a day or two even after they ship.
Old 02-27-2009

its been 8 days. the first time he gave me one that didnt work and said I had trouble at the post office. the next day he sent me a new one that has been saying that for the past 7-8 days. He's not returned an answer once, and he's done the same thing to 3 other people. I'm trying to get in contact with them to help them out but its hard to do that on ioffer. He's pretty shade. If he wanted to be successful he'd at least log on once a day, or two, or three. he hasnt logged on in 5 days. and doesn't respond to emails.
Old 03-02-2009
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,192 Posts
Longevity: 91%

I have a dilemma too, as a seller

I have sold something for about $2500, NON-ebay item, sold it independantly online.

Buyer insists on using paypal even though I told them that I prefer a merchant account, they insisted.

The only paypal accounts that isnt attached to ebay is really new and has had no payments yet. Will paypal freeze/21 day hold that amount on a premier account, or do they do it for ebay goods only?

I am not hesitant about buyer, but they are in another country (no not Nigeria!), in Europe and they could do a chargeback once received.

I intend on sending goods with tracking, but it is a designer item and I am worried they will say its ⊗⊗⊗⊗ or damaged and take out a dispute.

If once I receive payment, I withdraw it straight to my bank account, can paypal take the money from my bank? How do I prevent that, close the bank account?

Advice please!
Old 03-02-2009
Banned

Longevity: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycore View Post
I won a buyer complaint for $5 and i still have not received the money from paypal, just some generic notice that we have ruled in your favor, and we are trying to get the money from seller, but there is no money in his account so you are basically SOL. Didn't bother going to my CC company for $5, but if i did I am sure my CC company would have taken it from paypal.

Just call your card, tell them, I paid so and son, I never received the item. Don't even mention paypal lol. Paypal is nobody.

Word of advice, use American Express card. Blue card or sky miles is free, and their service is one of the best. All you have to do is call them. While with other cards it's often more.
Old 08-26-2017

Longevity: 42%
Default Re: What happens if you do a chargeback and the seller has no funds?

Quote:
Yes i totally agree with this statement. Although it is really very much tricky or difficult to get money back in this situation, i recently test a chargeback on paypal as customer and i easily receive that about that i have also mentioned in quora
and in this situation two things help me to get money back.
1- My friend who suggest me to call paypal support direct.
2- This guide "how to chargeback on paypal from wtf" that help me alot.