Help changing ip address with router - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > General Discussions (Off-Topic) > Everything Else

Everything Else For off-topic conversation. The rules are relaxed in here, but play nice!

Old 12-10-2007

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 95%
Default Help changing ip address with router

I was hoping someone can help me. I use a router with my inrernet and since my ISP provider uses Static IP addresses, the only way I can change my ip address is plugging my computers port directly into the modem. I get a new ip address, but when i plug it back into the router I get the old ip address I was suspended under. I hate having to disconnect everyone elses internet plus it's a pain in the butt because I have to go upstairs in the attic everytime. I use a netgear router, is there anyway I can keep the new ip address with the router plugged in?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 12-10-2007

there should be a way.
google "routername renew ip"
Old 12-11-2007
Banned

Longevity: 97%

renew ip doesnt work with cable internet
Old 12-27-2007

Longevity: 96%

Change MAC address on Router and power cycle router. This will obtain a new IP address from a cable supplier
Old 12-27-2007

yes you can chris, ipconfig /release then /renew
i think what vers0 says also makes sense, but havent tried it.
Old 12-27-2007

Longevity: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivegotinfo View Post
yes you can chris, ipconfig /release then /renew
i think what vers0 says also makes sense, but havent tried it.
I us a MAC and can change the IP, proxy and router among a host of stuff I know nothing about except how to change the IP address.
The plug on the cable internet modem is pulled off to crash it, restart it after a few minutes. Go out and do something come back, so When I log on to the internet again, the MAC reconfigures again and prompts me "your internet settings have been changed". Only when it's eebay time do I actually go through this process.

Still, when i use the IP locator, it tells me exactly what city I am in and zip code. Sometimes it doesn't.
Old 12-28-2007

I Personally think it would be REAL helpful if some of you PC Gurus..could maybe help us non pc saavy folks with specific steps---possible??
i.e.
A.) If one has a Cable Internet Provider + Cable Router--steps (1--10...) to actually reset the ip (WRITING IT AS IF YOU WERE explaining it to a 8 year old)-SORRY- thats the only way I know to explain it..
B.) If one has a DSL Modem..+ a LINKSYS Router (or whatever is most popular)--Steps 1,2,3, etc. to change the ip..
Dont know if its general concensus--but the tips like:
"Go into Mac center + adjust bandwidth,etc etc---just cant comprehend from my standpoint....
(maybe I'm just stupid??)
What I have to do-- I keep 6 Routers at home + 3 Dsl Modems on hand-I keep changing up the combinations--Router #1 with Dsl modem #3, Router #4 with DSL modem #2, etc....Then I have to stay on the phone with Verixon dsl + lInksys for hours to reset everything..BUT-- then i have anew ip..)
Thanks guys!!
Old 12-28-2007

ebayhateluv, when you're on dsl, unless you are on a specific plan with your isp that keeps your ip static (always stays the same no matter what), then just turning off your dsl modem and back on (by unplugging it) will change your ip. you don't need all the extra routers/modems. (and that's the guide on resetting IP with a DSL modem)

Also another way that should work for both dsl and cable if they are plugged straight into your computer, not through a router, but straight in (computer-->modem-->wall)
Go to Start-->Run, type: cmd
then on that black screen type: ipconfig /release
after it does it's stuff
type again: ipconfig /renew
it should now reconnect and show you your new ip.

this of course is only for Windows PCs, i have no idea how mac(intosh) computer do this since i don't like them.
Old 12-28-2007

Quote:
this of course is only for Windows PCs, i have no idea how mac(intosh) computer do this since i don't like them.
The MAC is simply a super computer. It's also impervious to viruses. The PC is prone to viruses and can derail a new computer.

Today to own a PC, one needs MacAfee virus software to be able to run smoothly. There are so many viruses now on the web it's amazing PCs are still so popular with all the problems inherited.
Old 12-28-2007

Turning everything off doesn't change my ip. I am ready to go get dial up. I don't understand any of this stuff either.
Old 12-28-2007

HI- Yes, I have tried it since July, no go for me,, even my kids tried and no good. (My 12 yr old knows more than me).. I even called a local pc repair asked them how to change it + they just kept asking bunches of questions..
How about a Device--like a Dongle--can Someone create something like this + sell it to us ?? I would love to see that..just hook up to our pc- when we get suspended- flip the switch...
Old 12-28-2007
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveEbayNHateEbay View Post
Turning everything off doesn't change my ip. I am ready to go get dial up. I don't understand any of this stuff either.
Just download a program called SMAC 2.0, it will spoof a new mac address and get you a new ip address regardless of your configurations DSL or Cable.
Old 12-29-2007

Hey-my hubbie asked what I wanted for Christmas? I told him 2 new N routers + 2 dsl modems..he laughed.but I did get 1 router
Old 12-29-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
The MAC is simply a super computer. It's also impervious to viruses. The PC is prone to viruses and can derail a new computer.

Today to own a PC, one needs MacAfee virus software to be able to run smoothly. There are so many viruses now on the web it's amazing PCs are still so popular with all the problems inherited.
the only reason pc's have more viruses is because what virus writer would write a virus for like 0.2% of the worlds computers? that would be a waste of time. they want to hit 90%+ of computers. As soon as MAC's get more share of the market, more viruses will pop up and then all the fanboys will start crying.
also, MAC's are overpriced and underpowered. they're just shiny pieces of plastic that people who want to "look cool" and "stand out" and "be different" get.
Old 12-29-2007

Smile Mac: The Rolls Royce Of Computers

Quote:
they're just shiny pieces of plastic that people who want to "look cool" and "stand out" and "be different" get.
So what you are saying is people buy Macs just to look cool stand out and be different? lol! Damn right! And creative too! I have two PCs (one is new laptop I travel with) and they are all shot to hell from all the crap on the internet already. Man, I couldn't download a MP3 without Trojan trying to get in, and then when the intrusive mac4aFee protection expires it actually harasses the PC owner with constant prompts to "renew" and "upgrade", and "your computer is not protected"...etc.
It's all a process to drain the wallet. My MAc hasn't had a virus upgrade since 2003 when I first bought it and no problems have ever derailed my internet experience. My Mac paid itself off years ago.
PC users know you never stop paying to keep and protect their PCs.
PC vs. MAC? No comparison.
Old 12-29-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
So what you are saying is people buy Macs just to look cool stand out and be different? lol! Damn right! And creative too! I have two PCs (one is new laptop I travel with) and they are all shot to hell from all the crap on the internet already. Man, I couldn't download a MP3 without Trojan trying to get in, and then when the intrusive mac4aFee protection expires it actually harasses the PC owner with constant prompts to "renew" and "upgrade", and "your computer is not protected"...etc.
It's all a process to drain the wallet. My MAc hasn't had a virus upgrade since 2003 when I first bought it and no problems have ever derailed my internet experience. My Mac paid itself off years ago.
PC users know you never stop paying to keep and protect their PCs.
PC vs. MAC? No comparison.
i havent paid anything to protect my pc. also the problems you are having seem like because you don't know much about computers (nothing wrong with that), and macs are really easy to use for beginners. but just cost way too much. maybe for a beginner to avoid all the hassles its worth it, but for more advanced computer users, shelling out an extra grand for some white plastic is a waste.
for example, i could run my computer without ANY antivirus and never get a virus...just dont open any files from random places...
my antivirus (nod32), hasn't given me a virus warning since...i duno...i cant even remember what that screen looks llike.
also, the bundled antiviruses are garbage, like mcafee and norton, they just hog memory and dont do crap.
the best one is nod32, it has the best heuristic scanning (means that it doesent need to be up to date to detect viruses, but actually can detect new viruses based on code) and it uses the least ram/cpu, AND detects the most viruses. my friend wrote a tiny little virus, norton didnt catch it..mcafee not either, but nod32 instantly. wow i dont know what im rambling on about lol.

oh and how you said pc users dont stop paying to protect their computers, as soon as all these beginners switch to MACs, all the viruses will start moving there.
Old 12-29-2007
MU

Longevity: 97%
Send a message via Yahoo to koalawash

Kind of OT, but you guys' discussion reminded me of this story of what happened to one of my roommates from back when I lived on campus. Well he brings in this laptop to the dorm that he just got and apparently he had never hooked it up to the internet once until that time. So he turns on the computer, plugs it in directly to the room's ethernet connection (hooked up to the network of everyone's computers in all the dorm rooms) and lets it sit overnight. Mind you also he didn't have a single antivirus, antispyware or anything installed either. The next morning his laptop is acting like crap and of course he can't figure out why.. he was about to leave but told me I could take a look at it if I want. First thing I do after unplugging the stupid thing from the internet is go to "My Computer" where I find out that he has network sharing turned on, for the contents of the ENTIRE hard drive. Also when I look into that I discover that he also had the settings on to where any user on the network was free to add/edit/delete anything on the hard drive too!!

But yeah anyway that's probably the most stupid thing I've seen anyone do with a computer. I couldn't believe it LOL
Old 12-29-2007

Quote:
the best one is nod32, it has the best heuristic scanning (means that it doesent need to be up to date to detect viruses, but actually can detect new viruses based on code) and it uses the least ram/cpu, AND detects the most viruses. my friend wrote a tiny little virus, norton didnt catch it..mcafee not either, but nod32 instantly. wow i dont know what im rambling on about lol.
Thanks for tip. I'm going to look into nod32 for my laptop. I depend on my PC for travel. It's a Gateway (to viruses) lol:D
Old 01-09-2008

I just read your post regarding changing the ip, can you now explain how to change the ip on the Linksys router after the change is made to the DSL