Beware of PayPal Phishing Email - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Old 12-13-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Activity: 0%
Longevity: 81%
Default Beware of PayPal Phishing Email

I just received 3 of these for various PayPal accounts. It SOUNDS like PayPal, but it is not FROM PayPal. The header is:

Notification of Limited Account Access RXI-112

Then the email reads:

Notification of Limited Account Access

Dear XXXXXX XXXXXXX,

As part of our security measures, we regularly screen activity in the PayPal system. We recently contacted you after noticing an issue on your account.We requested information from you for the following reason:

We recently received a report of unauthorized credit card use associated with this account. As a precaution, we have limited access to your PayPal account in order to protect against future unauthorized transactions.

Case ID Number: PP-XXX-XXX-XXX

In accordance with PayPal's User Agreement, your account access will remain limited until the issue has been resolved. Unfortunately, if access to your account remains limited for an extended period of time, it may result in further limitations or eventual account closure. We encourage you to follow our verification procedure as soon as possible to help avoid this.

It then gives you a link to the scam website where it wants you to log into their system. Of course, that way they have your PayPal login information. It doesn't take a genius to figure out what happens next...

One tipoff is that the email address it supposedly was sent from is service (at) paypall.com - notice the two L's at the end.

I just wanted everyone to be aware.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jeffweico For This Useful Post:
GreenBean (12-13-2010), slapped (12-14-2010)
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 12-13-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Beat me to posting the same. Just got 3 as well. Maybe that's a (un)lucky number?
I notice that this is a slightly improved version..... name etc.
Mean to do so at this time of year too.
Old 12-14-2010
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 93%

I always get those type of emails from Both Paypal and Ebay. I must admit they almost look legit even when they greet you by the First and Last name and I know the Newbies will be more likely to click on them.
Always better to go to your Paypal account directly and click on the dispute section or Ebay to your My messages to make sure they are legit.

To Help out the community against these Phishing Email please forward them to the Following.

If its from Paypal forward to Spoof@paypal.com

If its from Ebay forward to Spoof@ebay.com

They have a team to take care of these email scams.

I know we don't want to help out Paypal and Ebay but we don't want someone elses account that was scammed buying from us either. We all know who they will favor end the end.

BooMer
The Following User Says Thank You to BooMer For This Useful Post:
GreenBean (12-14-2010)
Old 12-14-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Good advice, BooMer.

When I get such emails I go to either source to check the validity of the email(s)

Of late, I've been getting no reply from paypal like I did. ( Clue more paranoia :rolleyes)
Old 12-14-2010

Longevity: 85%

When I get such emails, I mess with them by going to their ⊗⊗⊗⊗ site and entering: Email: F**KYou@F**Koff.com
Password: F**KYouAsshole

I get these ⊗⊗⊗⊗ Paypal, eBay and Craigslist login page emails often. I especially get them from Craigslist.

I recently had an item on Craigslist and someone responded stating they would Pay me through Paypal and they wanted the item shipped so I gave them my Paypal email. Later that day I received an email that looked just like a Paypal email stating that I received a payment but it is being held for 20 days or until I provide a tracking # (we all know these emails) It looked exact but I knew It was ⊗⊗⊗⊗. The senders email was even the correct paypal email address but you can easily change your "reply to" email address in gmail.
You would have to be stupid to send the item without checking your Paypal account anyway.

The amount of scams out there are unreal. I could go on and on about different attempted scams I have encountered.

As said above, it's easy to spot these ⊗⊗⊗⊗ pages by looking at the email address and URL of the login page.

Whats sad is there are alot of people that actually enter their real login info thinking it is a real login page.

Always enter the url into your browser yourself. Never login to an account you arrived at through a link.

The best rule of thumb is to always be weary of any and every email and offer you receive online.
Old 12-14-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,926 Times in 8,218 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Thankfully was sent to spam box of my e-mail. Still had me shook for just a moment. I did check my paypal but NOT via that link.
Old 12-14-2010

Longevity: 80%
Send a message via Yahoo to holymoly

Why would ANYONE click on the link from their email?!?!

YOU ALWAYS GO TO THE WEBSITE BY TYPING IN YOUR URL.

5 seconds of typing saves hours of woes.