Wal*Mart now offering reloadable gift cards - VISA - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion! > eBay Suspensions

eBay Suspensions General issues related to eBay Suspensions. Mostly geared towards eBay.com.

Old 01-01-2008

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 95%
Thumbs up Wal*Mart now offering reloadable gift cards - VISA

Wal*Mart now offering reloadable gift cards - VISA

Just saw the commercial for it - might be useful to some of us.

Not sure of prices yet though - on my way to check them out now.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 01-01-2008

Longevity: 94%

Some info I found...
JUNE 20, 2007 – In a groundbreaking move to help Americans save money and live better, Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (NYSE: WMT) today announced it will open 1,000 Wal-Mart MoneyCenters – covering a quarter of its stores – by the end of 2008. The company will also broaden its menu of financial products and services, beginning with the launch of the Wal-Mart MoneyCard, a reloadable prepaid Visa® rolling out nationally with GE Money and Green Dot.
The rapid expansion of its low-cost money services and in-store locations will help meet the needs of the millions of unbanked and underserved customers who visit Wal-Mart each week for their basic money service needs.
Wal-Mart MoneyCenters will assist customers who are outside mainstream banking with convenient, nationwide access to low-cost money services, including check cashing, money orders, bill payment and money transfers. Together with the Wal-Mart MoneyCard, which provides many of the advantages of a checking account in your pocket – an easy, safe and convenient way to manage money, pay bills and make purchases – Wal-Mart is providing a foundation from which customers can achieve their financial goals. Benefits include:

The new Wal-Mart MoneyCard offers value and convenience:

An initial Wal-Mart Everyday Low Price of $8.94.
Customers can cash their payroll or government checks at Wal-Mart and use the funds to reload their Wal-Mart MoneyCard with no load fee.
Customers can receive free daily information about their balance via text messages or e-mail.
Customers can obtain cash with purchases for no additional charge at many point-of-sale terminals
In addition to reloading at Wal-Mart, the card can be reloaded at tens of thousands of convenient Green Dot retail locations nationwide. Reload fees may apply.
Preferred Plan pricing – if customers load $1,000 or more within a calendar month, the monthly maintenance fee as well as any operator assisted customer service fees will be waived the following calendar month.
There are no overdraft fees.

I don't think they are available yet tho...
Old 01-01-2008

HI- The ones I have bought at Walmart are called Green Dot- if this is the same you are referring to? They REQUIRE a VALID SS # .. to comply with Patriot act.. AT least they did in August when I bought a couple...PLUS, fees $8.95 card, ($25 or $50 card)-then another charge for their so called re-load packs..
Old 01-01-2008
MU

Longevity: 97%
Send a message via Yahoo to koalawash

I still don't know why only SOME giftcards supposedly have to comply with the Patriot Act.. Not that I don't believe you, I've bought those same cards before. It's just I don't know why they expect people to believe that when other cards are still completely anonymous.
Old 01-02-2008

In my experience too, the gift cards that are non-reloadable are anonymous, but if they are reloadable, I have had to give my SS# ... and 8.95 seems high for a gift card when Netspend only charges 4.95 ... where is the rollback?
Old 01-03-2008
Threadstarter  

Default Where's the Rollback? ... LOL

LOL .. not sure about the rollback -- perhaps it's hiding behind that big creepy, yellow, smiling, whipping, blob.

I just saw the commercial a couple of days ago and it looked like something new they were trying out.

If it's true though about the re-loadables needing a SS# .. I guess they won't be of much use to us.
Old 01-03-2008

I'm confused as to why it's bad to get a reloadable card with your real social security number? Can someone explain the negatives of doing that? My brain is overloaded right now..
Old 01-03-2008

I have not experienced a problem with using reloadable cards with my SS# on eBay, if I use the same zip code. The credit card companies can't release that personal info to anyone, not even eBay, unless there is a court order or something like that, and even then, I think it would be the other way around (ebay would have to disclose the information to the credit card company) ... Most merchants verify zip codes so Heather, I would not worry about that - get the nonloadable gift cards because they are fast and anonymous and you can put any name on them (the reloadable cards you have to use your real name). It's just easier ...
Old 01-03-2008
Banned

Longevity: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebayhateluv View Post
HI- The ones I have bought at Walmart are called Green Dot- if this is the same you are referring to? They REQUIRE a VALID SS # .. to comply with Patriot act.. AT least they did in August when I bought a couple...PLUS, fees $8.95 card, ($25 or $50 card)-then another charge for their so called re-load packs..
greendot will freeze your money if you use it with paypal. They still have $350 of my money
Old 01-03-2008

Longevity: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hanson View Post
greendot will freeze your money if you use it with paypal. They still have $350 of my money
Do you know why they do that?
Old 01-04-2008

Spunk,

I'm not worried about how to get on eBay, I have that down pat but I am new to creating paypal accounts. Instead of opening bank accounts it would be nice to use a reloadable debit card to transfer the funds to. Is there a reason to not use your real info when purchasing a debit card since if you were opening a bank account you would have to give your real info too?
Old 01-04-2008

I have never experienced a problem with reloadable cards with my real info on Paypal with different account information - I have about 8 reloadable cards, one for each ... well, you get the idea. However if you are using the debit card as your bank information (most of them have direct deposit options), be careful. Some of the larger ones (like All Access) Paypal knows are just debit cards, and they will still ask for another bank account in addition to the debit card bank information in order to verify your account. When that happens, it may throw a red flag somewhere, who knows. You could try using just a debit card for both and if you find one that works, please let us know because I know All Access would not work like that.

As for the Green Dot issue - have you tried calling them? Sometimes card companies will freeze the funds just to verify you and once you call and tell them those are your funds and you transferred them from Paypal, they will release them. I had that happen with Obopay's card.
Old 01-10-2008
Executive [VIP]

Default Don’t bother with GreenDot reload packs

I purchased the Walmart reloadable Visa/Debit last October and haven’t had any problems with it…..knock on wood.

I paid the initial cost of $8.95 for the temporary card

Next I cashed my payroll check and loaded the entire amount on the temporary card thus waiving the $4.95 reload fee.

Once I got home, I logged in my computer and registered my temporary card by providing them with my real info: social, address, name so they could mail out my permanent card when it became available.

Once I received my permanent card, I logged in again to get it registered

While I logged in and registered my permanent card, I noticed there was a link on my page for direct deposit option for my payroll checks. Curious, I clicked on it and a direct deposit form popped up.

The direct deposit form looks just like the direct deposit form from a bank/credit union complete with my account number and ABA routing number and the name of the bank on it.

Don’t bother with GreenDot reload packs to reload your Walmart Card, please do what I do to reload your Walmart Visa/Debit:

Go into any Walmart store with cash and go to any Walmart checkstand and tell them to put your money on your Walmart Visa Debit card and they will only charge you $4.95 for reloading.

The only way to get around the $4.95 reload fee is to cash your payroll check and put it on your Walmart card.

I have since opened a new checking account with a local bank and hardly use my Walmart card anymore but it's a good little card to have and super easy to reload.