Using AOL 9.1 for different IP address vs. Dial Up or changing manually? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion! > eBay Suspensions

eBay Suspensions General issues related to eBay Suspensions. Mostly geared towards eBay.com.

Old 01-04-2008

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 95%
Default Using AOL 9.1 for different IP address vs. Dial Up or changing manually?

I am about to regoster a business and follow that path to get back on eBay with a egit business name (that looks like a person, and get bank acc and cc, phone # etc).
I know this has been discussed many times before but I still want to confirm the ideas of how to change the IP address.

I am between switching off and on my DSL wireless router and get a new IP (which gives me a new IP) versus using AOL 9.1 software (which uses an IP from Wichita Kansas every time so far) or getting a dial up service.

Which option is the safest to go? I have doubts about AOL because the IP will be so far from my registered address( I can still register the eBay account on AOL software, should I do that? does it a make a difference which IP address you register your account versus your registration address?) but since it is a widely used software by millions may be eBay ignores that, does it? If so this should obviously be best solution to any IP problems, IS IT?

Please some solid suggestions here..thank you..
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 01-04-2008
Administrator

Thanked 4,228 Times in 1,792 Posts
Activity: 4%
Longevity: 100%

Resetting your DSL IP is the best option. If you're unable to do that then AOL, if that's too hard for you then Dial up is very safe too.

Resetting your home IP is the best option.
Old 01-04-2008

Longevity: 94%

I agree, ive found resetting the DSL is the best way to go and you don't have to waste time on a slow dial-up connect
Old 01-06-2008
Threadstarter  

why does AOL sowtware always have the same IP? is it the same for everybody? It has an IP from Wichita KS. Also why isnt it safer to use? It seems like you could even log in to multiple accounts from there(including suspended ones, am I wrong?)
Old 01-06-2008
MU

Longevity: 97%
Send a message via Yahoo to koalawash

keceli,

Yes you can log into multiple accounts with AOL, but just make sure to clear the cookies before each time you log into a different eBay/Paypal account. And do EVERYTHING related to eBay through the AOL interface.
Old 01-06-2008
Threadstarter  

are you talking from experience?
So that means creating and accessing a particular eBay account always from AOL? and not even from a cleared IP address and cleared cookies?
how about accessing from a different computer with AOL software on it?
Old 01-06-2008
MU

Yes I'm talking from experience. If you're using AOL to access your eBay accounts, like I said, then do EVERYTHING related to those accounts on the AOL interface. That's really how simple it is. Just use CCleaner or a similar program to clear your cookies before each time you log in to a different eBay or Paypal account.

As long as the AOL software is the same under different computers you should be fine. Just make sure that the AOL software is changing your IP.
Old 01-06-2008
Threadstarter  

thanks for the quick replies koala.
I just tried it and the IP AOL gives me is different than my original IP. And as I said before it always gives me the same IP from somewhere in Wichita, KS. Is that normal, or is that what is it supposed to be? or should it change everytime I sign on to it?
Also the eBay account registration address will be from my city not from Wichita, KS, wont that cause a problem with eBay(or PayPal)..what address city do you use on your account(s)?
Thanks..appreciate the answers..
Old 01-06-2008

Longevity: 94%

I don't know where you live but I signed up for a 2 month FREE AOL account,
and you can have several different email address to use at one time. Every time I log in, the IP address is in Wichita, KS as well, and I'm on the westcoast. I don't know if everybody that uses AOL has the same IP address, but I think ebay knows that users from AOL accounts are not consistent, and harder to pin point. So I'm thinking as long as you use a AOL email address with your ebay account, I would think that you could run several accounts at one time from your computer, as long as you clean the cookies before every time you log in. If this is wrong or anybody else as anything to add please do
Old 01-06-2008
MU

Quote:
Originally Posted by keceli View Post
thanks for the quick replies koala.
I just tried it and the IP AOL gives me is different than my original IP. And as I said before it always gives me the same IP from somewhere in Wichita, KS. Is that normal, or is that what is it supposed to be? or should it change everytime I sign on to it?
Also the eBay account registration address will be from my city not from Wichita, KS, wont that cause a problem with eBay(or PayPal)..what address city do you use on your account(s)?
Thanks..appreciate the answers..
The Kansas IP you mention is typical from what I've experienced. I wouldn't worry about it at all, as it gives a lot of people across the US besides you this IP address as well. A lot of times it will stay the same even if you log in a few times in a row, but from what I've seen eBay won't notice.. just clean your cookies before each new eBay or Paypal page like I said and you won't have to worry about the IP. It really shouldn't matter which address you use on eBay, as long as it's something within the continental US. (not sure about AK and HI just yet)
Old 01-06-2008
MU

rollinlove,

That sounds about right to me.
Old 07-26-2008

Longevity: 91%
Default Using AOL with EBAY

My question is, if aol has a proxy that I use to connect to the internet.Should I be ok Even if I was to get suspended from ebay. wouldnt I still be ok to connect to ebay again using that same proxy but with a different ebay account?
Old 07-26-2008

Longevity: 91%
Default 2nd question in regards to aol and IP address

I believe that my earlier question was answered. My question now is
Once I log on to aol using the aol application. I go to several of those "what-my-ip-address" sites to find out what my IP address is. An interesting thing is that some of those sites I go to, they each say something different.

Though it is important to note that none of them show my actual IP address.

Am I being bounced around from AOL's PROXY's for each website I go to?
Does aol utilize a different proxy for for me each time I go to different sites?

Last edited by d0b3rtt; 07-26-2008 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-27-2008

only thing is when u use aol porxys your are flagged by ebay and put under there radar and if u sell something that could even be close to a VeRO related item boom they banned you with abuseing ebay
Old 08-03-2008

Longevity: 93%

d0b3rtt, this has been much discussed in the past months. Do a search.
Old 08-17-2008

Longevity: 90%

so if i use aol and clear cookies every time i sign off/on, then my ip should change and this should be acceptable to use for ebay? i am new to this forum and finding it really helpful.... i need to get back on to selling! thanks for any help!