New 1099 law, try to upgrade or just close the account - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2011

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 88%
Default New 1099 law, try to upgrade or just close the account

I have a paypal account my buddy opened for me about 6 yrs ago. My name and social are blackballed from about 8-9 years ago. So ive been using this account setup with my buddy's SS number, name etc. Hes fully aware of it. Now this 1099 thing is coming up. So last week I was notified by paypal email I need upgrade and give EIN number. I have a legal business dba, EIN, etc etc, but have never used it with paypal as my name and SS was banned some 8 yrs ago. Ive opened up another account about 6-8 months ago using my name and alternate legal address and have been selling very slowly on that account as well with no problems. Im unsure if the paypal database goes back 8-10 years for banned users, so far so good. Im worried as soon as I give my SS number I will simply be banned again. Im wondering If I could just upgrade to Business account on my primary account opened by my buddy and then use the EIN number issued to me by the IRS. Currently on the account my buddy opened for me I use my real phone, address, everything, just he opened it with his name and SS number.

So in short, does anyone have any experience being in the database of blackballs at Paypal after 8-10 years?

Can my buddies name stay on the paypal account when I upgrade or will they have a problem with my SS number being tied to the EIN number I give, or can they tell what the SS number is behind the EIN?

I guess I dont have much too lose as Im going to have to cancel the account anyway if I cant get it out of his SS number for the 1099 reporting.

I have the other backup account as well, but the ebay account tied to it is low in feedback and very slowly taking off. Id hate to start all over again, but will if necessary I guess.

Any input? Also, Paypal was naggin me for the EIN info and upgrade after every transaction, and on every login. Then magically yesterday, they quit asking. When you login, nothing, no requests, off the subject but an interesting fact.

Also I dont need paypal for anything except ebay. Other than ebay all my website sales are more than happy though google or amazon etc, so this is just in relation to ebay. Maybe I could just switch ebay paypal accounts to my real name , or something?

Last edited by coldstore; 01-29-2011 at 07:02 PM.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 01-29-2011

Longevity: 76%

Ebay Cant tell who's SSN Is behind the EIN, on your friends account your using. youve already put in his SSN and now there asking for an EIN? Technically they could go to your states Database and pull up who filed for the EIN. they can get your real name. But not your SSN. For all they know your "friend" works for you at the business where the EIN is registered. I wouldnt switch the ebay/paypals. It just gives the more info about what to shut down when they feel like shutting you down.
Old 01-29-2011
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 86%

You cant supply your friends SSN and/or any tax info. Come on. This is sent to the IRS.
Old 01-29-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgoodman View Post
Ebay Cant tell who's SSN Is behind the EIN, on your friends account your using. youve already put in his SSN and now there asking for an EIN? Technically they could go to your states Database and pull up who filed for the EIN. they can get your real name. But not your SSN. For all they know your "friend" works for you at the business where the EIN is registered. I wouldnt switch the ebay/paypals. It just gives the more info about what to shut down when they feel like shutting you down.
If you do not have better facts on this subject try not to give bad advice.

It's PAYPAL that deal with the EIN. Fair enough by association, ebay are a defacto partner. But don't talk rubbish. The OP's issue is what to do about the paypal requirements and supplying info for the 1099. Do you realize that?

To the OP: your question is complicated. For preference you should discuss this with a taxation expert. It is not within the forum guidelines.