got scammed, can the cops help me? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Old 01-16-2008

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 94%
Default got scammed, can the cops help me?

I sent an echeck to someone on craigslist, to their bank account. He gave me his bank account number and bank's routing number. The Laptop never arrived...I tried calling him but there was no answer, and the address he registered is not a correct address...how do I find out who this is with just his bank account? Can the police help me?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 01-16-2008

I am so sorry to hear that happened to you--sucks!!

I honestly wish I could tell you something positive--I'm sure someone will chime in here that is far more educated than me in this area. In my unconfirmed opinion it sounds like it's gonna be tough.

It strikes me the people in this forum are all honest sellers who ebay and paypal in any combination have "forced" underground--they always take care of their customers--they seem to be their 1st priority--matter of fact, their livelihood. But this seller you speak of seems far from anything that goes on in here.

From reading what these honest sellers have to do to earn a living, creating ⊗⊗⊗⊗ names, addresses, bank accounts, etc. just to keep going, they would be able to tell you best but I don't think someone would be able to find them with the info. they use--so now you run into a real piece of sh!t who wants to screw you using ⊗⊗⊗⊗ info., ---I can't see how to track them down if they aren't who they say they are and probably all ⊗⊗⊗⊗ info. Plus an echeck??? To me it's like Western Union money to someone--how do you know they are who they say they are--and how do you find them if not?

Always try to pay by CC or something more stable if a high item purchase if at all possible

I really hope it works out for you--sorry to be a ray of sunshine, but i'm sure someone here can assist you further.
Old 01-16-2008
Subscribed [VIP]

ya, looks like a tough spot. he probably used a legit bank account, so he could at least get the funds out...

can you find out who someone is, if all you have is their bank account number/routing number?
Old 01-17-2008

Longevity: 95%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollybee View Post
I am so sorry to hear that happened to you--sucks!!

I honestly wish I could tell you something positive--I'm sure someone will chime in here that is far more educated than me in this area. In my unconfirmed opinion it sounds like it's gonna be tough.

It strikes me the people in this forum are all honest sellers who ebay and paypal in any combination have "forced" underground--they always take care of their customers--they seem to be their 1st priority--matter of fact, their livelihood. But this seller you speak of seems far from anything that goes on in here.

From reading what these honest sellers have to do to earn a living, creating ⊗⊗⊗⊗ names, addresses, bank accounts, etc. just to keep going, they would be able to tell you best but I don't think someone would be able to find them with the info. they use--so now you run into a real piece of sh!t who wants to screw you using ⊗⊗⊗⊗ info., ---I can't see how to track them down if they aren't who they say they are and probably all ⊗⊗⊗⊗ info. Plus an echeck??? To me it's like Western Union money to someone--how do you know they are who they say they are--and how do you find them if not?

Always try to pay by CC or something more stable if a high item purchase if at all possible

I really hope it works out for you--sorry to be a ray of sunshine, but i'm sure someone here can assist you further.
JOLLYBEE;
Youre gonna do good.. You already have the jest of things.. That is the truth--this is what we are all here doing-- just trying to get on, to provide a better life for our families + we were forced underground..
---- as for the Gentleman having probs--
a.) I almost lost a camera in the summer, I called the police in the guys area--I got lucky + reached someone who "cared".. he actually went to the house-- out of his jurisdiction, took a beat cop /detective from that area-
--retrieved my camera and sent it to me..
--turned out it was a young kid offered money to buy things to then resend overseas to someone.. I thanked the officer + sent him a small gift that week..
--so, sometimes the Good Karma does comes back around.
Old 01-17-2008

Longevity: 98%

For echecks, many sellers don't take them because sellers have no chargeback rights. See if you can file a chargeback on it through your bank.
Old 01-17-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyth View Post
I sent an echeck to someone on craigslist, to their bank account. He gave me his bank account number and bank's routing number. The Laptop never arrived...I tried calling him but there was no answer, and the address he registered is not a correct address...how do I find out who this is with just his bank account? Can the police help me?
Blood hound here. I also would go to all the "paypal/ebay sucks" web sites and expose the guy's name address and all info on craigslist even if he/she provided ⊗⊗⊗⊗ information and on as many free complaint driven sites. contact the bank, even potential residents of the ⊗⊗⊗⊗ addresses...Raise awareness. Raise the red flag. Sniff out leads....Be like a detective if your local police are too impotent to help. Attack Back!!!!!

I do this all the time when I'm looking for web stalkers and scammers.
Old 01-17-2008

Have you got the scammer arrested? Cause I've been scamed too by a website that was selling virtual visa card. I sent them a check to their addresse in Texas and I never heard of them since. I know they received it cause they cash it (the check). Do I have any chance of getting my money back?
Old 01-17-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by topazcorp View Post
Have you got the scammer arrested? Cause I've been scamed too by a website that was selling virtual visa card. I sent them a check to their addresse in Texas and I never heard of them since. I know they received it cause they cash it (the check). Do I have any chance of getting my money back?
I find law enforcement doesn't care. They are too busy doing other things like giving people speeding tickets.

Was the check made out to a person's name or a business's name?

If it was to a PO Box you can also get the PO Box owner's real name.

You can write them "I have your name and address and I can sue you and if you try to avoid getting stuff I can hire a process server to come after you."
Old 01-17-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
I find law enforcement doesn't care. They are too busy doing other things like giving people speeding tickets.

Was the check made out to a person's name or a business's name?

If it was to a PO Box you can also get the PO Box owner's real name.

You can write them "I have your name and address and I can sue you and if you try to avoid getting stuff I can hire a process server to come after you."
It was made to a business name, "Money around the world" they call themselve... I sent it to a normal addresse, not a P.O. box. I'll try to write them but I don't think they will do anything, I don't have any proof except for my bank statement. Thanx for the answer though
Old 01-18-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by topazcorp View Post
It was made to a business name, "Money around the world" they call themselve... I sent it to a normal addresse, not a P.O. box. I'll try to write them but I don't think they will do anything, I don't have any proof except for my bank statement. Thanx for the answer though
Look up that tradename in their state through their government's website (whatever it may be) and then you get that business's information. You can tell the cops, sue, harass, etc.

The money order company should have a record of the money order's deposit.