Looked up Buyers info, odd results, should i ship? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Subscriber's Area > Amazon X

Amazon X The juicy stuff...

Old 02-20-2011
Red X

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 0%
Default Looked up Buyers info, odd results, should i ship?

Is there anyway to tell if a competitor is purchasing items from your A-mazon store? I find It odd that I listed 2 items, and they sold within 10min, so I used "pipl" to look up this buyer, and i see different links about Lawyers, Intellectual Property,etc. What do you all think I should do?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 02-20-2011

Longevity: 76%
Send a message via Skype™ to Sell4more2

If its illegal don't ship! Or don't but a return address if you are using a stealth account.
Old 02-20-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

This does not sound like a competitor. It sounds like an undercover buyer. They DO exist. They work for the rights owners.

They buy from you, and if the item is counterfeit, you can expect to hear from their law firm. And since they have proof to win in court, they will sue if you do not settle with them.

You got lucky, finding this out now. Because some are impossible to detect. It couild be someone in New York City, or someone from a tiny town in Arkansas. You usually don't know until you get the demand letter from the law firm, or get served with a summons and complaint.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jeffweico For This Useful Post:
sax4 (02-21-2011), Sell4more2 (02-21-2011)
Old 02-20-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,406 Times in 871 Posts

Well if you are Not sure of your buyers or the authenticity of your products you really should not be selling that item

In your position I would Make 100% Sure the Item is Legit before I Ship it out.
Old 02-21-2011

Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
Is there anyway to tell if a competitor is purchasing items from your A-mazon store? I find It odd that I listed 2 items, and they sold within 10min, so I used "pipl" to look up this buyer, and i see different links about Lawyers, Intellectual Property,etc. What do you all think I should do?
Excuse my ignorance
pipl...?
Old 02-21-2011
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffweico View Post
This does not sound like a competitor. It sounds like an undercover buyer. They DO exist. They work for the rights owners.

They buy from you, and if the item is counterfeit, you can expect to hear from their law firm. And since they have proof to win in court, they will sue if you do not settle with them.

You got lucky, finding this out now. Because some are impossible to detect. It couild be someone in New York City, or someone from a tiny town in Arkansas. You usually don't know until you get the demand letter from the law firm, or get served with a summons and complaint.
What if you ship the items, and they are 100% legit(authentic), but you are not an authorized reseller. Can they issue an order to stop selling that product?

Sometimes if find items on ebay for a good price, and resell them on Amazon.
Old 02-21-2011
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrqell View Post
What if you ship the items, and they are 100% legit(authentic), but you are not an authorized reseller. Can they issue an order to stop selling that product?

Sometimes if find items on ebay for a good price, and resell them on Amazon.
Legally, I don't think they can demand that you not re-sell a legitimate item. They CAN, if the complaint is TRADEMARK infringement, have eBay take it down through tier VERO program, but that is not the same thing as going to court.

However, are you SURE the items purchased on eBay are not counterfeit? If so, then just ship the items.

The FIRST SALE DOCTRINE states that if an item is legitimate and obtained legitimately, then it can be re-sold without fear of violating copyright/trademark law. Otherwise, you could never have a garage sale, or even donate your old clothes to charity.
Old 02-21-2011
Red X

Longevity: 0%

Quote:
Legally, I don't think they can demand that you not re-sell a legitimate item. They CAN, if the complaint is TRADEMARK infringement, have eBay take it down through tier VERO program, but that is not the same thing as going to court.

However, are you SURE the items purchased on eBay are not counterfeit? If so, then just ship the items.

The FIRST SALE DOCTRINE states that if an item is legitimate and obtained legitimately, then it can be re-sold without fear of violating copyright/trademark law. Otherwise, you could never have a garage sale, or even donate your old clothes to charity.
If you purchase electronics from lets say Best Buy, afterwards, unlock them, and resell for profits, is that fine?
Old 02-21-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,909 Times in 8,202 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

That SHOULD be fine but, to be safe in your position (I don't deal with electronics), include a picture of the receipt in your auction - blacken out the vital info - show to eb ay that this sh*t is real retail goods.

Should help but can never be 100% sure until you try.
The Following User Says Thank You to rsot For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2011
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
That SHOULD be fine but, to be safe in your position (I don't deal with electronics), include a picture of the receipt in your auction - blacken out the vital info - show to eb ay that this sh*t is real retail goods.

Should help but can never be 100% sure until you try.
That is the other thing with selling this stuf...

If your items are 100% legal and legitimate, but are also favored by counterfeiters, then you could STILL lose an account over it. Remember, eBay/PayPal/Amazon CANNOT know for sure if your items are real or not, since they are not in possession of them. It is the SUSPICION that kills you.
Old 02-21-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,909 Times in 8,202 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

Well put jeffweico - these sites will always err on the side of suspicion in order to avoid POTENTIAL fraud. They will take out a huge round of sellers just to keep image intact for sure.
Old 02-21-2011
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 80%

Quote:

Before I buy, I ask for the serial number, and SKU, and in some cases call customer support for that brand (electronics) and ask for validation. Usually if the seller refuses to give up the information, I know Im probably dealing with someone with checkered merchandise. I also let them know that I am a seasoned seller, and I will know immediately when I get the item that it is @#$%^&, and I will report them, and open a dispute. Also, I only do this on a buyer account. Dont want them coming after my selling account.
Old 02-22-2011

Longevity: 90%

sometimes even sellers selling legit items do not want to give us serial numbers for fear of it being used fraudulently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrqell View Post
Before I buy, I ask for the serial number, and SKU, and in some cases call customer support for that brand (electronics) and ask for validation. Usually if the seller refuses to give up the information, I know Im probably dealing with someone with checkered merchandise. I also let them know that I am a seasoned seller, and I will know immediately when I get the item that it is @#$%^&, and I will report them, and open a dispute. Also, I only do this on a buyer account. Dont want them coming after my selling account.
Old 02-25-2011

Longevity: 96%

I had an inquiry from a potential buyer asking if my item was a knockoff or not. I said that I thouroughly believed all of my items were real and if he had any concerns as to their authenticity that he should perhaps try to find the item from another seller. The Amazon system sent me an email saying that my email to him was undeliverable because his registered el was not valid and his Amazon box was full...huh?
What does that mean?
If he ever orders I will just cancel because his questions make me suspicious and at the very least he seems to be setting up a way to get items for free by disputing