PayPal charged my cc for negative balance - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Old 03-26-2011

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 75%
Default PayPal charged my cc for negative balance

I thought I had read here that PP could not charge your card or bank account for a negative balance so when a buyer filed a "not as described" complaint for a brand new computer I sold saying it wasn't new because something put a little scratch on the side during shipping I just ignored the negative while shipping a new side panel. Tonight my granddaughter made a purchase on iTunes and PayPal is my backup payment option for the gift cards I put on her account. She owed 11 cents but PayPal charged $356.75 instead of 11 cents to cover the $356.64 negative. Can they get away with that?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 03-26-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,406 Times in 871 Posts
Longevity: 81%

They Do it ALL the Time, and it is Legal, when ever you are in a situation where you need to protect your self from paypal, Closing the Attached account is the ONLY way,,,But bear in mind Your credit report will Suffer,,,Paypal is Quite dilligent about reporting to ALL three Credit Bureau's
Old 03-27-2011
Banned

Thanked 2,029 Times in 1,356 Posts
Longevity: 87%

You accepted the agreement that if you go into the negative they can go into your account to get the account back into the positive.

Fine print but it is there.

As slapped mentioned when this happens you must close the attached account quickly.
Old 03-27-2011

Longevity: 76%

OK but if your only method of payment on pp is a vcc that has only been use to verify the pp account - the card has been 'destroyed' on the site the vcc was created on, can the original vcc opener/maker/holder still get 'done'?.... or as the card had been 'destroyed'/'cancelled' nothing will go through.

Hope someone/understands what I am going on about as it is a key piece to my eb and pp puzzle.... peace out
Old 03-27-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,406 Times in 871 Posts
Longevity: 81%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alps_thecheekyone View Post
OK but if your only method of payment on pp is a vcc that has only been use to verify the pp account - the card has been 'destroyed' on the site the vcc was created on, can the original vcc opener/maker/holder still get 'done'?.... or as the card had been 'destroyed'/'cancelled' nothing will go through.

Hope someone/understands what I am going on about as it is a key piece to my eb and pp puzzle.... peace out

With that type of VCC there is NOTHING Paypal can do, it is the Same as Closing the account
Alps_a somewhatlegend (03-27-2011)
Old 03-27-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrofin View Post
I thought I had read here that PP could not charge your card or bank account for a negative balance. so when a buyer filed a "not as described" complaint for a brand new computer I sold saying it wasn't new because something put a little scratch on the side during shipping I just ignored the negative while shipping a new side panel.

Tonight my granddaughter made a purchase on iTunes and PayPal is my backup payment option for the gift cards I put on her account. She owed 11 cents but PayPal charged $356.75 instead of 11 cents to cover the $356.64 negative. Can they get away with that?
Why would you ignore a negative even if you were fixing up a buyer's problem?
Have you spoken to paypal? I dont understand how a debit of $356.64 got done if you were sending a new panel.

your story does not gel. What type of panel costs that much money? Is it more that paypal refunded and put the account into neg because you were tardy in sorting the problem?
Old 03-27-2011
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBean™ View Post
Why would you ignore a negative even if you were fixing up a buyer's problem?
Have you spoken to paypal? I dont understand how a debit of $356.64 got done if you were sending a new panel.

your story does not gel. What type of panel costs that much money? Is it more that paypal refunded and put the account into neg because you were tardy in sorting the problem?
First, it is not possible to close an account with a negative balance.
Second, I ignored the negative because I didn't want to give them the money they charged my PP account when a buyer filed a "not as described" on a new computer. (Did you read that part of my original post GreenBean?) The buyer now has my computer + a new side panel, PP has $356.64 of my money and I have nothing except the expense of the sale.

The nad complaint was filed with eBay but that automatically puts the payment on hold in PP. If the PP is zero then the hold creates a negative balance. PayPal is not even aware of my conversations with the buyer.

I'm not tardy at all in sorting this out. It's only been a couple weeks since the complaint was filed and I sent a new panel with UPS delivery confirmation. The buyer refused to clear the not as described. I never had any intention of correcting the negative -- that would sort itself out when and if the buyer closed the not as described complaint.

But if they can charge my card for the balance any time they want why did they wait for an 11 cent charge to come through and attach it to that? Why had they made the charge as soon as it happened or anytime in between?
Old 03-27-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

that sorts the misunderstanding. Your 2nd post explains the situation in better detail.

No-one said to close the paypal account. The advice was to close the funding source,(bank account or cc) ie, remove it from paypal. .

What paypal does is very hard to understand at the best of times. Have you made any contact over this negative balance. It may be co-incidental that it happened with two transactions together.

I'll try to find that post you mentioned. It needs to be checked if it is giving misinformation.
Alps_a somewhatlegend (03-27-2011)
Old 03-27-2011
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapped View Post
Closing the Attached account is the ONLY way,,,But bear in mind Your credit report will Suffer,,,Paypal is Quite dilligent about reporting to ALL three Credit Bureau's
Oh... attached account? Not the PP account! I get it now.

Too late to close the credit card now-the jig is up. Plus if I closed it and the buyer did release the "not as described" where would the

I guess this a little confusing because I'm trying to find help with problems before I am or never have been suspended. I'm guessing that makes my account different than those that have been set up using the Stealth method. Will the book help me if I have not been suspended?
Old 03-27-2011
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBean™ View Post
I'll try to find that post you mentioned. It needs to be checked if it is giving misinformation.
It's item #15 in the sticky at the top of the page:

Sticky: FAQ: Selling with Paypal How to Protect Yourself
BooMer

15. My PayPal account is in the negative. Can PayPal yank money from my bank account or CC?

PayPal used to do this, but lost a lawsuit several years ago and now will not pull funds from any source without your authorization. If your account balance is negative (through a chargeback, reversal, etc), here is what they may do (in the likely, though not guaranteed, order):

*Take any funds in your paypal account to bring the balance back to zero
*Use any incoming payments to cover the negative balance
*Ask you to add money to your account to solve the problem.
*"Piggyback" the owed amount onto any payments you might make. There is full disclosure as to the total amount you are authorizing to be pulled from your selected funding source, and you do have the option to decline to make any payments.
*Send your account to collections