Paypal Limited - PayPal Limitations - the Definitive Thread on what to do, what not - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk > Paypal Limited

Paypal Limited PayPal Limited Account – A general forum on PayPal limitations and how to either lift them or create new accounts.

Old 01-23-2008
MU

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 97%
Send a message via Yahoo to koalawash
Default Paypal Limited - PayPal Limitations - the Definitive Thread on what to do, what not

EDITOR'S NOTE: This thread shows the history of our battle against PayPal limitations. But the bottom line remains: All newer PayPal accounts will be limited and asked for some verifying information, including social security number, at some point. No matter what. There are however techniques that can be utilized to delay the inevitable, and to assure that this is but a temporary rather than permanent limitation.

---
Has anyone else received this message from Paypal before? The funny thing is that I haven't even DONE anything with the bank account I used, save for having PP make those 2 small deposits. Is this just another one of those bogus security concerns they always come up with to randomly screen certain accounts?

Quote:
Paypal is constantly working to ensure security by regularly screening the accounts in our system. We recently reviewed your account, and we need more information to help us provide you with secure service. Until we can collect this information, your access to sensitive account features will be limited. We would like to restore your access as soon as possible, and we apologize for the inconvenience.

Why is my account access limited?

Your account access has been limited for the following reason(s):

Jan XX, 2008: Our system detected an unusual use of funds from a bank account linked to your Paypal account.

Last edited by Modee; 08-14-2008 at 02:55 PM.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 01-23-2008

Longevity: 95%

Did you log in to be sure you have been limited? It could just be one of those many many many ⊗⊗⊗⊗ emails going around. I never get too upset with them until I check my paypal ( and NOT by clicking the link in that emailk either ) ... if I'm limited in there .. then I'm PO'd!
Old 01-23-2008
MU
Threadstarter  

Actually I never look at emails from either eBay or Paypal. Logging in to the Paypal account was how I found out about this in the first place.
Old 01-23-2008
MU
Threadstarter  

That's what I suspected. But why would they do this when I haven't made a single transaction yet? I guess it's just the sheer bad luck of falling under one of their random limitations.
Old 01-23-2008

New poster here...
I received the same message on Sunday. Paypal wanted to verify my bank acct with the 2 deposits and verify the cc billing address by phoning me with a code. So I receive the call, and it says thank you for verifying the code. I login to my acct and it says that verification failed because the phone number didn't match any phone records ( I was using grandcentral). Now they are sending a letter to verify. Unfortunately, the address listed in bunk. So I have no chance in hell of lifting the limits on the acct. What really sucks is the next day I had 2 payments come in for over $500 and paypal won't even let me refund the buyers.
Old 01-23-2008

Hi- can you Email your buyers-tell them your acct was hi-jacked..to immed dispute the trans.. and then it should let you resolve by 2 means; a.) refunding or b.) providing proof of refund..Then- try to complete sale another way- even offering Free shipping if they send a Money order maybe? -- Also-sounds like both of you may have been linked to a Previous ebay acct? that went down maybe? If not- then if you can't provide PP the info they want, you've gotta move on...
Old 01-23-2008
MU
Threadstarter  

Hmm.. I seem to recall another thread in the Paypal subforum where somebody mentioned the same thing. It's totally ridiculous to think Paypal would require a *listed* phone number on top of everything else. My guess is that this really is just a random occurrence, and that if you make say 10 accounts maybe 3 or 4 will get this pulled on them right away. Not really sure, but I hope I'm right.
Old 01-23-2008
MU
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebayhateluv View Post
Hi- can you Email your buyers-tell them your acct was hi-jacked..to immed dispute the trans.. and then it should let you resolve by 2 means; a.) refunding or b.) providing proof of refund..Then- try to complete sale another way- even offering Free shipping if they send a Money order maybe? -- Also-sounds like both of you may have been linked to a Previous ebay acct? that went down maybe? If not- then if you can't provide PP the info they want, you've gotta move on...
I don't know about being linked. The one time I had that happen to me (long ago) they actually mentioned the name of the account I was linked to. Not so this time around. Actually eBay hasn't even done anything yet. At least so far, this is purely a Paypal issue.

What I did was sent the buyer I had a message talking about how Paypal limited my account for no reason and that they should just go directly to Paypal to get the money.
Old 01-23-2008

I emailed the 2 buyers. One responded thus far. She cannot cancel on her end and insists that I have to refund on my end, which is utterly impossible. So I tell her to file a claim to get her money back. She does and I go into paypal to respond to the claim. I choose to refund the buyer. I get an error message saying due to my account being limited, I am unable to refund the buyer. WTH, I have no way to clear this up. I am at a loss. So far the ebay acct that it is tied to, is still up and running.
Old 01-23-2008
MU
Threadstarter  

Tell her that Paypal is holding her money hostage and there is nothing you can do. At the very least it's one more person aware of how much Paypal blows.
Old 01-23-2008
MU
Threadstarter  

ebaynoway, how old was this account you mention here in your case?
Old 01-23-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by koalawash View Post
ebaynoway, how old was this account you mention here in your case?
It was about a month old. I had made a few small purchases with it, but had not received any payments at the time of the limitation.
Old 01-23-2008
MU
Threadstarter  

Wow, that's pretty bad that they would do it after all that time. Mine was only about a week old at most so I wasn't terribly surprised.
Old 01-23-2008

Quote:
Tell her that Paypal is holding her money hostage and there is nothing you can do. At the very least it's one more person aware of how much Paypal blows.
That is what I did, and I referred her to the paypalsucks site.
Old 01-23-2008
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 94%

Good thing you did, the more people who know how paypal really operates the better. I heard rumor that they are in trouble financially due to all the mis-management and are limiting accounts with high dollar amounts to hold the funds for 180 days because they can, then pay their bills with the interest.
Old 01-23-2008
MU
Threadstarter  

Hmm.. now things may be getting a bit dicey. eBay isn't starting to crack down harder on all ING accounts by any chance, are they?
Old 01-23-2008

Well, my bank acct did happen to be an ING acct.... food for thought.
Old 01-23-2008
MU
Threadstarter  

Wow okay that helps.. something is very fishy here..
Old 01-23-2008

e-trade savings accts online are easy to open with no minimum. I have a recent paypal acct using them and have had no issues thus far. So that is another option to opening an acct at a b&m bank.
Old 01-23-2008
MU
Threadstarter  

Does etrade support multiple accts as well?

I still find it hard to believe they would just start cracking down on every single person who uses ING now.. geez.
Old 01-23-2008

Quote:
Does etrade support multiple accts as well?

I still find it hard to believe they would just start cracking down on every single person who uses ING now.. geez.
I am not sure, I have only opened the one so far. I will have to try to open another and see if it does in fact support multiple accts.

I too cannot imagine busting everyone using ING, but this is paypal we are talking about.
Old 01-24-2008

Longevity: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolandcalm View Post
I heard rumor that they are in trouble financially due to all the mis-management and are limiting accounts with high dollar amounts to hold the funds for 180 days because they can, then pay their bills with the interest.

Unfortunately, since ebay owns paypal it isn't visible in paypal's earnings per share, which would show negative earnings per share if it was true.