Can PP track my SSN from an EIN? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Old 05-14-2011

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 74%
Cool Can PP track my SSN from an EIN?

I have both ebay and PP stealth accounts.
My SSN was locked by PP in 2005 and appeal was denied many times.
If I upgrade my stealth to a business account, is tht=ere any risk?
If my stealth PP is limited, I will try to provide PP an EIN; will PP be able to link it with my SSN?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 05-15-2011
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthseller View Post
I have both ebay and PP stealth accounts.
My SSN was locked by PP in 2005 and appeal was denied many times.
If I upgrade my stealth to a business account, is tht=ere any risk?
If my stealth PP is limited, I will try to provide PP an EIN; will PP be able to link it with my SSN?
I would be interested what "EXPERIENCED" people have to say for sure. I am really surprised this isnt a near top issue these days for many people.

From what I understand from my research online is that the reason there is an EIN is so that you can use it for taxes instead of your personal SSN to take the tax burnden. If 5 people owned a business and you have an EIN to use. Then the paypal or bank reportings would go to the EIN instead of an individuals SSN. If it went to a specific SSN it would be a mess.

The Problem I ran into is not knowing if paypal can see that a name and EIN matches. I want to use a stealth name with a real EIN (only for paypal) I know with the IRS the names have to match.

Last edited by KingRay; 05-15-2011 at 12:20 AM.
Old 05-15-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

A lot will depend on how this is implemented.

However, when PayPal receives an SSN or EIN for reporting purposes, PayPal MUST run what they get across the IRS database. The IRS records must match what you give to PayPal.

BUT - THE IRS CANNOT, BY LAW, GIVE OUT ANY INFORMATION ABOUT AN SSN/EIN. So, they simply report "match" or "no match" back to PayPal. If there is no match, then PayPal would contact you to clear up any discrepancy.

PayPal CAN, however, take it a step further if they want to. They can require an SSN, even on a business account. They would still REPORT under the EIN, but they CAN use an SSN for verification purposes.

Best advice is not to panic. There will be a workaround. It just depends on how this gets implemented.

Last edited by jeffweico; 05-15-2011 at 12:41 AM.
Old 05-15-2011
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBean™ View Post
So you already have a SSN given to paypal, so why will you think of trying to use that SSN again? That is not going to work.

Yes, you can have an EIN. Create that EIN in such a way to avoid YOUR SSN
I want to set up a Sole Propriatorship in this state; obviuosly I have to provide my SSN to the state. With Sole Propriastorship, you can apply for an EIN with IRS on the grounds that you need to hire someone for your business.

IF PP limits and asks for an SSN, I would then upgrade my account to business and provide EIN instead. I think this is a relatively cheap way to go around the SSN; I have excellent DSR and 100+ feedback for this stealth and do not want it go easily..

Any insight whether PP would be somehow link the EIN to my SSN? Then I am dead.....
Old 05-15-2011
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffweico View Post
A lot will depend on how this is implemented.

However, when PayPal receives an SSN or EIN for reporting purposes, PayPal MUST run what they get across the IRS database. The IRS records must match what you give to PayPal.

BUT - THE IRS CANNOT, BY LAW, GIVE OUT ANY INFORMATION ABOUT AN SSN/EIN. So, they simply report "match" or "no match" back to PayPal. If there is no match, then PayPal would contact you to clear up any discrepancy.

PayPal CAN, however, take it a step further if they want to. They can require an SSN, even on a business account. They would still REPORT under the EIN, but they CAN use an SSN for verification purposes.

Best advice is not to panic. There will be a workaround. It just depends on how this gets implemented.
Very good point.

Say I upgrade my stealth PP to a business account and I name it XXXSeller.

I would then apply for an EIN for this XXXseller with IRS.

XXXseller with its EIN will be in IRS database then

When PP runs a check, EIN and XXXseller will be a match.

My understanding is you cannot change your PayPal account name once it is set up (not like eBay- you can change everything as you like); since this is a stealth name, you have to upgrade it so that it has a business name with an EIN.

Will PP change my account name from a stealth person name to the business name XXXseller? What docs dies it require to do such a change?
The Following User Says Thank You to Stealthseller For This Useful Post:
madmuppet303 (11-04-2013)
Old 12-16-2011

Longevity: 75%

Sorry to resurrect this but I'm wondering if anyone has better info? I'd like to provide my EIN to get above the 20K rule when it comes but the names won't match. I have a business PP account now and they require a name; you can't just give a business name. I could match addresses if I change mine on my LLC but I'm worried about the name. Anybody have any advice here?
Old 12-16-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

http://www.aspkin.com/forums/paypal-...hes-100-t.html

Read the above. Heaps has been written. Make & comment & I'll follow-up with you
Old 11-04-2013

Longevity: 78%
Default Re: Can PP track my SSN from an EIN?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthseller View Post
Very good point.

Say I upgrade my stealth PP to a business account and I name it XXXSeller.

I would then apply for an EIN for this XXXseller with IRS.

XXXseller with its EIN will be in IRS database then

When PP runs a check, EIN and XXXseller will be a match.

My understanding is you cannot change your PayPal account name once it is set up (not like eBay- you can change everything as you like); since this is a stealth name, you have to upgrade it so that it has a business name with an EIN.

Will PP change my account name from a stealth person name to the business name XXXseller? What docs dies it require to do such a change?
Can anybody give any insight if this is how it's done - adding an EIN to a Stealth Account. Upgrade your Paypal to a business account and create a business name that you use with Paypal and EIN documents? does Paypal see the name on the EIN or just the business name?

Thanks a lot!!