I'm not looking for a handout, but here is my situation... - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > WallStreetBets > Dropshipping & Wholesale Suppliers

Dropshipping & Wholesale Suppliers Discuss Dropshipping on/off eBay, Amazon, Shopify, Etsy and other platforms.

Old 05-26-2011

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 74%
Default I'm not looking for a handout, but here is my situation...

I've been unemployed since mid-December. I apply for 10-20 jobs a week, and that's about what's been available here with the skill set I have. Not many call backs, and I can't understand why (nearly 18 years of retail management). Sometimes I feel it's an exact fit, and yet I don't get the call...the only thing I can think of is that people are willing to accept less money even though I never specify how much I want per hour.

Since I've found this forum I've been increasingly curious about those of you making money (or even a living) buying wholesale and selling on eBay.

I'm in a good setup here...I own my condo, I own my car, and basic living expenses are low. My hobby is collecting vintage toys, and that's where I spend the bulk of my money.

I don't need much to do everything I want and live a good life, but the lack of work has frustrated me. I have no problem working 50+ hours a week, and if it gets me more money, then great. However, I'd like to avoid my ultimate fallback scenario...taking two $7.50/hour jobs and breaking my back 60 hours a week.

Do you think I'd be able to buy wholesale and sell on eBay to clear $350-400 a week? Is that something that even someone starting out can do? How much of an initial investment would it take, given that I've already gleaned from here what products would be most difficult like VERO and electronics?

Would some of you be willing to give me some pointers? Being out of work I certainly have time to research things and get things going.

Thanks in advance for any advice or anecdotes.

Peace,

Chip
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 05-26-2011

Longevity: 75%

Hi Chip

Yes is the short answer.

You will need to put in tons of groundwork though. You need to find a niche - and that my friend is what everyone is looking for.

Research some of the lower priced products that are sold and then see what you can buy them for. If you find something dip your toe in the water and have a go.

Remember - a full bucket is made up of lots of drips - as long as it makes you a profit sell it!

Before you know where you are you will have hundreds of products and then you can start weeding them out.

I have a friend - through research - who buys from Tesco's (A UK supermarket) and sells on Ebay - he makes £200 a week - that's all he needs to make.

Research is your answer

Good Luck
Grannytranny
Old 05-26-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,926 Times in 8,218 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Being a ex-avid collector and still seller fo collectibles and vintage toys and other stuff, that is a good market but it can be cutthroat. To maximize profits, you really need to buy in bulk, buy OFTEN, and look for deals - garage sales, lot sales, etc. - I don't have the time for all that so my sales have stagnated from lack of merchandise.

As for Ve ro and all that, yes research is key.
Old 05-26-2011
Threadstarter  

Longevity: 74%

Thanks already for the replies, folks.

I'm already planning on getting the Stealth Book, but I think that I need to research Terapeak and see what that has to offer.

I would like to find products that have a steady supply if they do well. I'm an 20+ year expert in several fields of collectibles (toys, comics, video games, etc) but the supply is somewhat difficult to find steadily unless you're a big-time dealer with a brick-and-mortar storefront.

Peace,

Chip
Old 05-26-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,926 Times in 8,218 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Problem is not just the supply but the demand market - sadly eb ay and am az on has dropped prices on hard-to-find stuff these days so profit margins are razor thin.