21 day holds when selling on ebay - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Old 06-08-2011

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 77%
Default 21 day holds when selling on ebay

Hello, I have a couple of simple questions regarding selling on eBay. I do not sell in high quantity. I usually sell stuff found in yard sales, personal items, and my favorite; items from friends, relatives, etc. I usually sell and spend the money rather fast. It's worked in the past but as of late, PayPal seems to have an eye out for me. I want to get back in the eBay scene since I've been selling on different forums and stuff, getting paid directly to PayPal.

I can get a brand new sellers account and start selling my used item regardless of price or do I too have to start off slowly? I know eBay and Paypal have that 21 day hold and that doesn't really worry me, but what worries me is how long do I have to wait to spend the money if I am paid via eBay to Paypal?

For example, I sell my item, I ship out the item and add tracking information, the buyer receives the item and is content, they leave positive feedback, perhaps Paypal releases the funds early and if not, I just wait out the remaining of the 21 days.

Can I spend the money as soon as they release the funds or what? Has anybody had any experience doing this?
I know everyone on here is different and most of you guys make your money selling A LOT of stuff, but again, I just sell 2-3 items a month.

(Sorry for the lengthy post!)
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 06-08-2011

Longevity: 75%

The 21 day hold is until they feel they know you. If you have no refunds or disputes it ends fairly quickly.

Once a customer leaves good feedback the funds are released to you.

No feedback = 21 day hold

If you start pulling out the money as soon as it is released expect them to look at you - particularly if it is a stealth account that cannot be 'backed up' by public records

Run the account properly, don't sell vero or ⊗⊗⊗⊗ and you will soon get past. Took me 60 days.

Old 06-08-2011
Threadstarter  

Yeah, well I don't plan on selling anything VERO or ⊗⊗⊗⊗, just used stuff like stereos, game consoles, cameras, NO cellphones tho (I heard eBay gives cellphone sellers a hard time)

Like I said, I'm not worried for the 21 day hold, I just wanted to know how risky or safe it was to spend the money as soon as the funds are released. I mean, 21 days is enough time for a buyer to open a dispute or something right? I'm probably in the clear to spend the money or am I wrong? I usually burn through an account fairly quick, I sell enough to make some money and then open another account, hence, I am not worried for the 21 day hold.
Old 06-08-2011
Threadstarter  

But if its not clear to the people trying to help me out, obviously, I am NOT going to spend the money right as the 21 day hold is lifted, I'll probably wait a week or so, or how long do I wait? I mean, its my money! Can't be locked up in Paypal forever.
Old 06-08-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtz View Post
Yeah, well I don't plan on selling anything VERO or ⊗⊗⊗⊗, just used stuff like stereos, game consoles, cameras, NO cellphones tho (I heard eBay gives cellphone sellers a hard time)

Like I said, I'm not worried for the 21 day hold, I just wanted to know how risky or safe it was to spend the money as soon as the funds are released. I mean, 21 days is enough time for a buyer to open a dispute or something right? I'm probably in the clear to spend the money or am I wrong? I usually burn through an account fairly quick, I sell enough to make some money and then open another account, hence, I am not worried for the 21 day hold.
Not exactly. You will have (hopefully) more than one buyer. So say you sell 10 items & get FB for 3 , there is 7 items (with x amount of money) to concern paypal. Therefore should you consider withdrawing those funds relative to the 3 items with Feedback (which you are perfectly entitled to use), paypal will NOT see that. They will see funds leaving the account, & nothing to protect them for the 7 items.
I would suggest to attempt to keep a proportion of your overall sales as part of the paypal balance. (Never have an empty paypal). That has helped my accounts have little to no 21 day holds.
In other words, dont make your account look like you could run....
Old 06-08-2011

Longevity: 75%

You need to look like an ordinary Joe Soap earning a bit on EB but doing everything properly.
Old 06-08-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,909 Times in 8,202 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

Sigh I am sorry to say this and being as a$$hole but if you search the forum for every one of your questions, these have all been discussed numerous times.

Regardless, GB and GTran are on you so godo advice is there. All the best.

I have to promote the search feature since GB is slightly off today ha =P /duck