Bad car purchase - advice??? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2011

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 74%
Default Bad car purchase - advice???

Hi,

I'm a long time ebayer with approx 300 feedback. So I bought a car two weeks ago. It was a private eBay listing from the next town over. I eBay-mailed the seller and asked if I could take a look. We then conversed through our personal email accounts and cell phones. Seller was asking $22,900 for this car a 2005 Audi S4 Cabriolet with 52,000 miles. *I test drove it for about 20 minutes. It needed some work, but all in all, I thought it drove pretty smoothly. I did think it was a little "high strung", and not that smooth to drive, but i figured it was because it had a 340 hp v8. * Price was on the low side because of the condition and it also had a not-so-great carfax report that said the car was involved in an accident with frame damage. *And it had 3 owners. *Seller told me that the previous owner was a friend and that he had driven the car under a tractor trailer. This actually caused relatively minor damage - a small dent in the hood and a small scrape on the aluminum a-pillar. Plus, there was a very small cosmetic rip in the convertible top *No airbags and no frame damage. The top needed a nudge with my hand to help it close. Seller made no mention of it in the listing.*
So I actually thought this guy was pretty trusting. He lived near me in a very expensive home. He grew up in my town and he went to school with several of my neighbors. So I made a deal with him for $20,000 outside of eBay (my idea), as I wanted to pay the lowest price possible. Wife was pissed and made me call him and tell him that the other issues - top, bad carfax, etc warranted a better price. He wouldn't budge and I wanted the car, so I made the deal. *

I picked up the car on a Monday 5/30 and right away, I realized that there was no NAV disc in the car. I drove it back and he couldn't find the disc in his garage but promised to get it for me(he ordered it from eBay, but I still haven't received it). Driving the car that day and the next, it was apparent that there was something wrong with the transmission (auto). Revs would fluctuate +/-50 rpm when I was trying to drive steady at 30 - 50 mph. I called the Audi dealer and explained the symptoms and was told it probably was a bad torque converter (expensive). *I emailed the seller the second day and told him about the problems. I am 100% certain that he knew about the Torque Converter issue, as it was IMPOSSIBLE to drive the car smoothly in it's current state. *He claims that he takes "great offense" to that accusation, as he fixed everything he knew about.*
I took it to my local shop and they said it needed a torque converter at about $2,500. *Once in the shop, they found another $900 of repairs that were needed - mainly 2 cv joints.*
The seller was very nice through all of this and hinted that he would help. I met him in the shop (we use the same one) He saw all of the defective pieces and car taken apart. We shook hands two days ago and I was expecting him to throw at least $500 my way. Tonight he told me to f**k off via email and I am royally pissed off.*

So... *First I am being respectful, because I am waiting for this guy to give me my NAV disc. Afterwards, I would like to tell him that I am reporting him to eBay for selling outside of eBay. Problem is, that may backfire and he could report me as a buyer too... *I would deny that I offered, * *
but eBay is just a machine, so I might get suspended too.*

My goal is to threaten him really. I just want him to kick back even $500. *Its the right thing to do, and i think he's just being a prick *I mean the guy just sold me a car that needed $3,500 in repairs the very next week!!!

Any thoughts, advice, etc. *Would be greatly appreciated.*

Thanks
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 06-11-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

I can not accept that anyone would be naive enough to go buy such a auto based on the facts you presented.

You would appear to be having what is known as buyer's remorse because you brought a LEMON.

For the sake of a few grand you do a deal OFF EBAY so minimize what little protection there is.

You get references about the auto, that are not exactly glowing. It would appear you thought you were going to get one over on the seller. That the wife chewed you out is something to deal with. Dont cross her again.

Far as I know if that was the first of the AUDI TMV series, it was said around the traps to always ensure to have the auto checked by an authorized mechanic if purchasing 2nd hand. Did it not seem strange, 3 owners & such low mileage. What if the odometer was fudged?
Not just that loverly 340 HP V8 donk can be problematic if serivces have not been done but the fiddly add-ons present tend to stop functioning well. By its very creation it was a prima donna auto brand new. A few years on US roads, driven poorly, auto would be messy.
I happen to prefer European manufactured autos. BMWs rock! My comments are based on that.
You seem to have disregarded the adage Buyer Beware.

I dont appreciate your asking for enabling to threaten a seller. I dont appreciate name calling of a seller just because you have not got your own way.
Those are my thoughts, for the moment.
Old 06-11-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,926 Times in 8,218 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Welcome to the forums - all the best as you read around and contribute.
Old 06-11-2011

Longevity: 78%

You might be protected under a lemon law in your state. You would have to research. File this under "always tAke the car to a mechanic to do a full inspection before buying" $100 can save you loads of money later. Also never buy a wrecked car. If there is frame damage there is almost always transmission problems. I made the same mistake buying my first car except I didn't see the carfax. Found out later.

Last edited by SaiJin; 06-11-2011 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Stop being a child and think before you post anything stupid
Old 06-11-2011
Threadstarter  

Longevity: 74%

Understood totally - buyer beware. *I get it.... *Story is more involved, though *Actually, car runs great now. *Engine is absolutely awesome - powerful, smooth, starts first time, every time doesn't smoke and as far as I can tell, burns no oil. *I have been under it and around it and had it to a body shop. There definitely is no frame damage, though the carfax shows otherwise *My beef is that this is a local guy, in a high profile family real estate business who lived in my neighborhood and knew a bunch of my neighbors. I actually think, for the most part, he was a straight shooter. *He did have history on the car and he did perform many of the key necessary services - coil pack, serpentine belt, front brakes, spark plugs, valve covers & gaskets, ac service, all fluids. * I have had it all checked. My issue is with the trans, that he claims he knew nothing about (which I maintain is horses**t) and is now stating that I had an unnecessary *torque converter replaced. *Says it probably just needed a trans flush ( even though he told me all fluid was changed before the sale). Both dealer and indy mechanic told me it needed a TC *He saw the work in progress and knows the mechanic! *It's his guy! *I'm just pissed that he doesn't feel a tinge of empathy and is not willing to "throw me a bone" and kick some $$ back. Remember, this is a guy with money, NOT a pauper *If it were me, and someone contacted me the NEXT DAY, I'm sure I would help offset some of the expense. I have credited many assholes on eBay who claim defective or non-received merchandise. It's not worth the headache to me. I'm more pissed that he shook my hand in the garage and told me we would work it out, but then proceeded tell me to F off the next day. *

Anyway, first I need my NAV Disc from this guy. Don't want to rock the boat before that.... Should be another day or so *Then I will decide what my next move, if any, is.*

Thanks for the input.*
Old 06-11-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

issue is that you made an error in judgement.

Resolution?

Certainly not cussing the seller out in open forum.

By chosing to take the matter off ebay, you removed any chance of their protection.

YOU made the choice, jeffrey, YOU. Your state should have consumer laws that may aid you.
Whatever you did on ebay is not relevant. This transaction was removed.
Sorry but I can not be more positive.
Closed Thread