Seller won't accept return package - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 06-18-2011

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 76%
Default Seller won't accept return package

The seller sent me the wrong item, and when I let them know, they told me to start a case about it so they can help me.

Anyway, in the case, they responded with telling me to send back the item, and ebay's final decision was the same.

I sent the package back last week, but the seller won't sign for it and won't reply to my messages now either.

Is there anything I can do or did I just get played..?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 06-18-2011
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeonets View Post
The seller sent me the wrong item, and when I let them know, they told me to start a case about it so they can help me.

Anyway, in the case, they responded with telling me to send back the item, and ebay's final decision was the same.

I sent the package back last week, but the seller won't sign for it and won't reply to my messages now either.

Is there anything I can do or did I just get played..?
Just contact ebay or paypal which ever the claim is though and tell them what is going on. If anyone can help its them. Otherwise i dont see any other option. That sucks for sure.
Old 06-18-2011

Longevity: 95%

in most cases ebay runfunds the buyers reguardless if the seller sent the item back or not
Old 06-19-2011
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboykilla View Post
in most cases ebay runfunds the buyers reguardless if the seller sent the item back or not
On claims now they have to submit a tracking # to ebay and only after it gets delivered to the seller does the buyer get the refund.

That is how it has always worked for me and its what is stated on all the info pages about it.

The problem is when you go ahead and close it thinking you are helping yourself and notice that they no longer have to provide tracking info. Once you click close they just forget about the # and they can keep it if they want. That part sucks.
Old 06-19-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,342 Times in 961 Posts
Activity: 9%
Longevity: 76%

Why have him sign for it? International?

If you can avoid signature request, just send him random cheap packages/envelopes with tracking until one gets confirmed delivered since he is being an a.s.s.hole and tarnishing the rest of us honest sellers. Then upload that number and refund will be issued.
Old 06-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRay View Post
On claims now they have to submit a tracking # to ebay and only after it gets delivered to the seller does the buyer get the refund.

That is how it has always worked for me and its what is stated on all the info pages about it.

The problem is when you go ahead and close it thinking you are helping yourself and notice that they no longer have to provide tracking info. Once you click close they just forget about the # and they can keep it if they want. That part sucks.
I sold a item on ebay and i forgot to get a powercord for it and i finly got one and shipped it and the guy open a dispute and got a full refund and never sent nothing back so i lost money and the item. Ebay will refund the buyers reguardless if they sent the item back or not.
Old 06-19-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,406 Times in 871 Posts
Longevity: 81%

Quote:
I sold a item on ebay and i forgot to get a powercord for it and i finly got one and shipped it and the guy open a dispute and got a full refund and never sent nothing back so i lost money and the item. Ebay will refund the buyers reguardless if they sent the item back or not.

That is Rare,,Normally Ebay/Paypal seeks proof of delivery of the item back to the seller before issuing a Refund,,but I do Know of several instances like yours.
Old 06-19-2011

He open it as parts missing instead of item not shipped and i gave ebay a tracking and i did forget to get the powercord >< thing is i didnt mean to list it with a cord but i did cause the item i sent didnt have one and i was going to buy one and send with it but forgot to. I told the guy i would refund him 3 bucks so he could buy one off ebay but he wasnt having that. I think he knew he could get a refund and keep the item cause of my mistake. Since then i havent sold nothing else on ebay! cause ebays full of crooked buyers now days who steal and leave negs over the smallest things. And the thing was i was useing a legit account to sell legit 2nd items that i pick up at resells and yardsales.

Hi *********,
eBay opened a case because of an issue with an item purchased from you. We reviewed the case and issued the buyer a refund of $15.98. The refund includes the purchase price plus original shipping. The hold on this PayPal transaction has been removed.

This case is now closed, and you don't need to do anything else.

They now banned the account lol guess they didnt like the feedback that i left on how they refund buyers and let them keep the items. I think it pissed some one off cause they sent 10 messagess informing me that i was BANNED for feedback abuse and they also removed it off my feedback.

Last edited by doughboykilla; 06-19-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old 06-19-2011
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
He open it as parts missing instead of item not shipped and i gave ebay a tracking and i did forget to get the powercord >< thing is i didnt mean to list it with a cord but i did cause the item i sent didnt have one and i was going to buy one and send with it but forgot to. I told the guy i would refund him 3 bucks so he could buy one off ebay but he wasnt having that. I think he knew he could get a refund and keep the item cause of my mistake. Since then i havent sold nothing else on ebay! cause ebays full of crooked buyers now days who steal and leave negs over the smallest things. And the thing was i was useing a legit account to sell legit 2nd items that i pick up at resells and yardsales.

Hi *********,
eBay opened a case because of an issue with an item purchased from you. We reviewed the case and issued the buyer a refund of $15.98. The refund includes the purchase price plus original shipping. The hold on this PayPal transaction has been removed.

This case is now closed, and you don't need to do anything else.

They now banned the account lol guess they didnt like the feedback that i left on how they refund buyers and let them keep the items. I think it pissed some one off cause they sent 10 messagess informing me that i was BANNED for feedback abuse and they also removed it off my feedback.
How long ago was that. I had one a month ago and got the same letter but at the end it said the funds would be sent to buyer upon confirmation of delivered item back to me the seller. I think they have changed things on this policy recently.

In my case there is no way the buyer was going to get any money unless he paid for return shipping of the item and it was sent via a way that could be tracked. and it was a "not as described" case as well.
Old 06-19-2011
Executive [VIP]

I just double checked this and it clearly says in their rules as to how this works.
You must provide tracking information to show that you sent the item back to the seller.

Now this only applies if you let the case go to them deciding it for you. If you agree to a refund, exchange or anything like that you are out. I learned that way as well.
Old 06-19-2011

Longevity: 77%

Anytime, I accept a return I inform the buyer to add tracking, so I know that they sent the item. It's really for they're own protection.
Old 06-19-2011
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvram View Post
Anytime, I accept a return I inform the buyer to add tracking, so I know that they sent the item. It's really for they're own protection.
I wouldn't recommend anyone ever send a package anywhere without tracking.

If 18cents is too much tracking costs then you are selling items that are wasting your time. lol.

if 18 cents is cutting into your profits then you have business problems.
Old 06-19-2011

Longevity: 77%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRay View Post
I wouldn't recommend anyone ever send a package anywhere without tracking.

If 18cents is too much tracking costs then you are selling items that are wasting your time. lol.

if 18 cents is cutting into your profits then you have business problems.
Well, with my international packages I offer tracking as an additional option. Reason being, I ship USPS which is the cheapest by far for international shipping from the US. First Class Mail is only a few dollars more for international packages, but adding a tracking option is an additional $11.50. It's utterly ridiculous. I used to just add it into a single shipping cost shipping cost, but less people would buy. So I explained in very large and bold letters what their options are and that I recommend adding tracking. Most people ignore the tracking anyway. I'm safe because I always have a print out or a stamped copy of the customs form for proof of shipment in case the package is delayed or lost.
Old 06-19-2011
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 86%

Quote:
Not true. You just got unlucky unfortunately.
Old 06-20-2011

Longevity: 86%

I had a bad buyer in OZ claim that some items I sent her were modern copies - I sell vintage items. I told her to return them and I would refund as I have a no quibble return policy. The items were not modern copies. I told her that is she could obtain a statement on headed paper from an expert at say Bonhams or Christies or a well known auction house that they were not genuine I would also refund her return shipping.

I consider that a reasonable offer because auction houses will give an opinion on items free of charge. So she only had to get up off her duff and take them to an auction house.

Instead of doing so she opened a Paypal case. I escalated the case to a dispute and picked the option to refund on receipt. So then Paypal told the buyer they would have to return the items tracked at their own expense. Buyer had a big shock when they found out how much they would have to pay and started whining about it.

I told them that they had chosen to open a Paypal dispute rather than working with me and so they would now have to play by Paypals rules - which is buyer returns package at their expense.

Well the time ran out and they did not return the goods so the case closed and Paypal just released my money. I continued to get abusive emails via both private email and eBay from the buyer. I blocked them at server level via my email account and reported the eBay ones for abuse. The buyer must have got warned because all of a sudden they stopped.

As a seller you need to know the ins and outs of Paypal. There is a time to just refund and move on and a time to escalate the case, which throws the ball back into the buyers court.

Mostly I just refund and move on. Its annoying to think that a buyer may end up with the goods and your money. I just write it off as a tax loss.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biglouis999 For This Useful Post:
GreenBean (06-20-2011), Grifter (06-20-2011)
Old 06-20-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,909 Times in 8,202 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

Good stuff biglouis999 - yes in virtually 99% of the cases, buyer must send back item with tracking for refund if a case is opened.

As for the OP problem, speak to an eb or pp live chat (which ever one you put the claim through) and show prove you sent it with tracking but no one is picking up the package - you should be still covered.
Old 06-20-2011

yeah unluckly on that item but at least it wasnt something high $ that they screwed me out of. I havent sold anything since but i well be more carefully now that i know the rules of the game. Ebays there to protect the buyers all the way no matter the cost and screw over the people who pay there bills.
The Following User Says Thank You to doughboykilla For This Useful Post:
GreenBean (06-20-2011)