Depositing a paypal check - Will they get my account info? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Old 07-22-2011

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 76%
Default Depositing a paypal check - Will they get my account info?

My 180 days is up and I can withdraw my money from susp. account. i dont want to give them my bank info becuase its linked to a stealth account.
If I have paypal send me a check, when I deposit it to my account will they reconize the account as my stealth?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 07-22-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,192 Posts
Longevity: 91%

firstly the paypal account is in a name you can bank a check in right?

no they cannot see the account number that took the check.
Old 07-22-2011

Longevity: 74%

I can't seem to find how to request a check?

How do you request a check from PayPal?
Old 07-22-2011

Longevity: 78%

Right below send money is the word withdraw. The first choice below that in the drop down menu is transfer to bank

You may want to cash it at their bank, Wells Fargo, if you live near one.
There is no charge for cashing these checks off of Paypal
The teller said some accounts incur a cash check charge, others not

watch them to ensure they don't write your DL number on the check itself if you cash it. Some banks still do this

Paypal could, if they want, receive the actual check back

Last edited by Melissa1971; 07-22-2011 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-23-2011
MU

Send a message via AIM to First Edition Send a message via MSN to First Edition Send a message via Yahoo to First Edition Send a message via Skype™ to First Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunkz Tomorrow View Post
My 180 days is up and I can withdraw my money from susp. account. i dont want to give them my bank info becuase its linked to a stealth account.
If I have paypal send me a check, when I deposit it to my account will they reconize the account as my stealth?
open a new bank account...... and no, the bank that writes the person that writes the check won't have any idea where it went after it was deposited, just that it was deposited and funds were transferred.
Old 07-23-2011
Threadstarter  

Thanks for the advice

Its only 30USD so i dont want to open a new account just for that.

After my 180 days they offered to send me a check or I can give them my account info and they will transfer it.

Yes the check will be in my name from my original paypal

Thanks Melissa so far cashing it at their bank seems liek the best idea. This way i dont have to worry about it being tracked to my stealth checkings.
Old 07-24-2011

Since writing this to you, I cashed another Paypal check. This time they asked me to provide a fingerprint and had the check "verified " by another person. I was told this was a new Policy that began just days prior. Considering the week before I just provided my DL as ID and got the money, seemed very plausible

Last edited by Melissa1971; 07-24-2011 at 12:08 AM.
Old 07-24-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

It's THE BANK implementing security features. Seems many checks will be subject to it
Old 07-24-2011
Threadstarter  

Thanks for the update
Old 07-24-2011

You're welcome
Old 07-24-2011
MU

Send a message via AIM to First Edition Send a message via MSN to First Edition Send a message via Yahoo to First Edition Send a message via Skype™ to First Edition

You can cash or deposit the check whereever you want. If it's in your name, you're good. It won't link you to another account based on where you deposit it.

Think about it. If you write someone a check and they deposit it wherever, do you have any idea if they cashed it or even wrote it over to someone else? No, you don't. And there is no way to see without a subpeona. Checks go through the federal reserve at some point, or something.... it's part of some clearing house gibble gabble that I don't fully understand.

Your concern is that you will be linked if you deposit it in your bank, and I can assure you that will not happen.
Old 07-24-2011

Longevity: 83%

Quote:

Think about it. If you write someone a check and they deposit it wherever, do you have any idea if they cashed it or even wrote it over to someone else? No, you don't. And there is no way to see without a subpeona. Checks go through the federal reserve at some point, or something.... it's part of some clearing house gibble gabble that I don't fully understand.
I check all the checks I write each month, and make sure the amount I wrote in is the same as the amount deducted.

In the past I got the canceled checks back. Now it's just all online with scans of the front of the check and the back too, which has the endorsement and where it is cashed etc...

Last edited by Road-Kill; 07-24-2011 at 03:54 PM.
Old 07-24-2011

Longevity: 73%

Remember when you start a new paypal account, and your using stealth info, PP has no access nor can they get access to any information associated with that bank account number. The only information they have is the registration you submitted plus a bank account routing and account number that's it. I've had a PP account under a stealth name for 6 months now, and haven't gotten limited yet. If I do it will be because of my eBay accounts and not the PP account itself, because I am not a large volume seller or buyer.
Old 07-24-2011
MU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-Kill View Post
I check all the checks I write each month, and make sure the amount I wrote in is the same as the amount deducted.

In the past I got the canceled checks back. Now it's just all online with scans of the front of the check and the back too, which has the endorsement and where it is cashed etc...
That's great...

so what are the account numbers of ANY of the destination accounts? (ones you don't own)
Old 07-24-2011

501]That's great...

so what are the account numbers of ANY of the destination accounts? (ones you don't own)[/QUOTE]

It sounds like you haven't seen a deposit stamp that people use. On them it has customers name, acct# , bank name. Then after that the bank stamps the check.
Old 07-24-2011
MU

I guess not..... I'm not a banker.

My point is, do you think someone in paypal is worried about where the funds go after the check is deposited? Even if they did, there is no way to see the name on the bank account.
Old 07-25-2011

Here's some info on what's on the back of a check and deposit stamps.

In answer to your question about if PP reads the back of a check, and what do they do with this info, I dunno.

BankingQuestions.com - Getting Information from Cancelled Check

Bank Deposit Stamps - Custom Endorsement Stamps | Simply Stamps

Getting Information from Cancelled Check

I wrote a check that cleared our bank and I am wondering if I can find out the name of the bank from the deposit stamp or other information on the cancelled check? There is a 10 digit number (account?) under "Dep Only" and then there is a narrow stripe running perpendicular to the endorsement. On the back of the check that has a bank name (the same as my bank so I wasn't sure if this was info about our account or the recipient's account), a date, a nine-digit number and a thirteen-digit number.

The nine-digit number is most likely the number associated with the bank of deposit. It should have arrows or > and < at either end (it will look like >123456789< ). Your bank should be able to identify the bank to which the number belongs.

Last edited by Road-Kill; 07-25-2011 at 05:35 AM.
Old 07-25-2011
MU

You're missing the point I'm trying to make.

There is no way they will link you based on depositing this check over the counter into an account that you currently use for stealth.
Old 07-25-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,909 Times in 8,202 Posts
Activity: 99%

All pp will see from the check coming back to them is the account number written on the back +/- the signature.
Old 07-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Edition View Post
You're missing the point I'm trying to make.

There is no way they will link you based on depositing this check over the counter into an account that you currently use for stealth.
I'm just trying to stay OT and answer the OP's question and offer a explanation other than "it's part of some clearing house gibble gabble that I don't fully understand"

If the OP deposits the check in a account PP will have access to the check in paper form and/or scans of the check on both sides. On the back of the check it will have the routing # and acct # of the account it's deposited in.

If the OP cashes the check instead obviously PP won't get any info about a account it's deposited into, since it's not being deposited. If the check is cashed PP will have access to the OP's ID numbers plus in some cases fingerprints too, instead of bank account info, since that will be written on the check instead.
Old 07-25-2011
MU

Simpler is better.

Trying to walk into a bank where you don't have an account and cashing a check is a nightmare these days. Most banks are very reluctant to just cash it.

I'm not trying to argue, I only endorse simplicity, always.