Attaching Ebay To A Brick and Mortar Business - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 10-18-2011

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 72%
Default Attaching Ebay To A Brick and Mortar Business

I have had many thoughts on this an after careful research one question comes up in my mind all the time. If I had a true brick and mortar buisness, or could prove I'm associated with one and link an Ebay and Paypal account to it would it be looked at under the same light as an individual selling items?

I believe that may be the key if you have access to do it. I see more and more online buisnesses accepting Paypal and considering most sell high risk items or deal in very high volume they arent effected.

I have an idea this would make a huge difference in your integrity in their eyes, and much less likely to draw attention.
The Following User Says Thank You to c550th For This Useful Post:
colt63 (10-18-2011)
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 10-18-2011

Longevity: 75%

Everything that EB and PP does to us comes about because of the actions of scammers and foo-foo merchants. Contrary to popular opinion EB and PP do not spend their whole day looking at how they can ruin peoples lives

Therefore it follows that if you are a bona fide business, even one selling Vero items, you are likely to be viewed differently.

There are several ways to lift yourself above the tentacles of the conglomerates and having a bricks and mortar business has to be the best.

You would have regular paperwork, regular contact and bank details and in theory you would be the kind of client EB & PP want.

Once again in theory, they would have no problems with you because you would know how to treat customers and it would therefore lower the risk factor in their eyes.

If you think about it you can create a ladder for the risk types. Something like this

Private seller
Business seller only on Ebay
Business seller with own website
Registered company only on Ebay
Registered company with own website and ebay
Bricks and mortar retailer
Bricks and Mortar wholesaler

Highest risk being private seller
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrannyT For This Useful Post:
colt63 (10-18-2011), GreenBean (10-18-2011)
Old 10-18-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,936 Times in 8,227 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

GTran is correct in her ladder theory.

Quote:
You would have regular paperwork, regular contact and bank details and in theory you would be the kind of client EB & PP want.
Exactly.
Old 10-18-2011
Threadstarter  

Longevity: 72%

I agree with the knockoff sales and D class merchants however for a standard person NOT selling these items I believe you would be looked at much differently.

Anyone with a dealers license can sell Vero items because the items would be legit. I don't know about the UK, but in the US I don't know of any brick and mortars stores that sell knockoff items. It would be illegal.

I agree Ebay and Paypal are protecting there tail when it comes to the amount of counterfeit items being sold, but lets not forget some innocent people get caught up in there firewall. Let's for instance look at the fact I didn't sell ANY Vero items, always used real pictures, and could easily disclose where I purchased my items for sale. I still all of a sudden with 100% feedback (148 total on feedback) mind you got the 21 day hold till releasing funds.

I never had so much as a dispute and now I have to wait to be paid. I also wasn't generating more than a $1400 monthly so I'm not a huge threat. This is just one case, and I'm sure there's more. I think we all suffer from the importing of ⊗⊗⊗⊗ items and to be honest if you use Craigslist you can find things locally and make what I was making.

I personally feel a stealth account is the only way to protect us in the sense each one of our days are numbered on Ebay it's not the if it's when. Usually when you count on the money the most is when you receive their emails of suspension or limitation in most cases.

I was using Ebay as an income when I was out of work for 9 months after being laid off. It was a huge help and to be honest I would love to do it full time selling used legit items, only problem is without being sneaky they can instantly more or less fire you regardless of your past performance or even if your at fault for anything other than selling an item an not receiving feedback?? Come on..Their logic is beyond belief

I think prior to opening a Paypal or Ebay account if they had stricter preliminary tests you could weed out the ones your really after. It isn't about being fair it's all about money, and a hidden agenda to allow as many individuals as possible to sign up to use their services and make the most they can. If you don't like what someone does suspend them keep their money in purgatory for a time frame they see fit, and hopefully the person won't come back.

The real part that's hipocritical is all the people that sell qustionable items do have one solid gripe and that's after sales are completed for the ⊗⊗⊗⊗ or Vero items does Ebay and Paypal still keep their fees for the listing of them. We all know the answer to that one.

Last edited by c550th; 10-18-2011 at 02:28 PM.
Old 10-18-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,192 Posts
Longevity: 91%

OP did not mention vero, but do not assume anything, unless you are rights owner verified, there is chance you can get pulled, it is not always a question of f ake or non fa ke, in fact they may go after you MORE as you are selling in quantities, plus you are traceable. There are alot of threads about this, particularly under the trademark section of forum.

If its a volume thing and not copyright issue that is your risk factor, I think GT theory is sound. If its a risk to do with type of goods eg items that go wrong frequently or have more risk than usual product, again the theory is sound - you stand a better chance.

BUT then again, YOU are putting yourself at more risk with the costs of a business and premises, so needs weighing up, as I always thought the whole point of ebay was the virtual business had less start-up and running costs, could be done from home etc, therefore passing saving on to consumer....I mean if no customers actually visit you, whats wrong with your garage that costs you nothing....right?
Old 10-18-2011
Executive [VIP]

Another issue you may want to look at.

I did this on one and lost the account. It was many years ago and way before I learned of this site.

But what happened was I named by ebay account the same as the business. Then lost it and had to use a complete different name later when I got back on. Then customers didnt know it was us.

Now on a recent business I am partnered with, what I did was try to name it in a way that I can still choose a name that people will recognize. Its hard to show you exactly what I mean without telling you what I do. (sorry, its a competition thing and in my niche it would hose me baaaad)

Just come up with 2 or so very clever names that both represent your company in a way that ebay cannot obviously connect. If you think about it you can do it pretty easily.

Just something that one may not think about prior is all. Good luck.
Old 10-18-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Still a (big) risk factor of attaching your real business to ebay.

There is still a chance of failure & suspension.

In that instance, the stakes are higher because of the monies used in funding such businesses, viz cost of stock.

GrannyT's ladder defines life on ebay well.
You would need to find how high or how low you want to be on the ladder to survive
Old 10-18-2011
Executive [VIP]

Definitely if using say "jones Chicago shoe repair" But if you chose 2 names that you can use in the future that are generic that people would still know you by would be good.

Yeah I would never use my real business name anymore but you can get close with a generic name that wont be too similar to the last one that may have gotten suspended.

Not that big a deal but just made that mistake early in my ebay days.