Anyone try blackmailing paypal? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk > Paypal Limited

Paypal Limited PayPal Limited Account – A general forum on PayPal limitations and how to either lift them or create new accounts.

Old 02-27-2008
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 98%
Default Anyone try blackmailing paypal?

So they can unlimit your account? Just email them that you will contact all your buyers to file chargebacks if you don't unlimit your account and see what happens. If they're really so fearful of chargebacks I don't see why they would fight you on it. They live in fear of chargebacks everday. Do they really care about your supplier info so badly they would suffer a bunch of chargebacks from customers? I don't think so. Someone will review your account see that you've done nothing wrong like the majority of accounts that get limited and unfreeze it.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 02-27-2008

Longevity: 94%

Never thought of that. Don't really have enough paypal accounts to play around with though.

Although, would a paypal representitive really care that paypal is loosing money? After all, it wouldn't effect them, and probably wouldn't even effect payapl in the slightest.

But it's a good idea for sure.
Old 02-27-2008
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Uh no paypal will not ignore threats of chargebacks from anyone unless they want to go bankrupt. I'm positive they already have a policy in place to deal with this particular situation and I'd be willing to bet anything the mere mention of a chargeback much less a multitude of them will automatically get you a temporary free pass. They might at some time afterwards close your account but not before you've withdrawn all the money you've rightfully earned. When paypal freezes an account their software is simply telling them you might be a potential scam artist trying to take ppl's money which is simply their excuse to hold your money but now you're telling them that chargebacks are imminent if you don't unfreeze your account. They have no choice but to release the funds to you because they have to follow policy. There's no logic to ignoring your threat because they most likely didn't have a good reason to limit you in the first place. They have nothing to gain and everything to lose by keeping your account frozen.
Old 02-27-2008

Very good point ballsack, didn't think of it like that.
Old 02-27-2008

Longevity: 96%

hey come on... get realistic.. its very easy for paypal to block you for life than get under your threats..
Old 02-27-2008
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Let's logically think about this. Paypal is so afraid of chargebacks from buyers that they'll limit most accounts at the drop of a hat so when I threaten multiple chargebacks they'll stubbornly keep my account frozen even after a review? For what reason? Out of spite? It doesn't make any business sense whatsoever. Will they just incure tens of thousands of chargebacks over and over from sellers who have resorted to this method just so they can have the priviledge of knowing they froze you?
Old 02-27-2008

You make a threat and they will put you in what they call the escalation department and will take their time to unfreezing your account.

I provided all my information to them and threatened them with complaints to the Federal Trade Commission. They sat on my reinstatement for 2 weeks.

Be honest, how many buyers would use a chargeback?
Old 02-27-2008

Arysmith, they probably know that they could fight any threat from the federal trade comission any day with their huge lawyers. But, there is absolutely nothing they can do about a chargeback.
Old 02-27-2008

Agreed, but how many buyers will do you a favor and bother with a chargeback?
Old 02-27-2008

However many buyers hate paypal
Which is a fair few...

But ideally yes, it would be hard to get a substantial amount of people to file chargebacks.
Old 02-27-2008
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by arysmith View Post
Agreed, but how many buyers will do you a favor and bother with a chargeback?
Dude, you threaten paypal with buyer chargebacks if your account isn't unlimited. The intent isn't to get the buyers to file chargebacks. That would defeat the whole purpose of what I'm saying.
Old 02-27-2008

Longevity: 95%

HI--Ballsack,, I'm gonna TRY it..
I have an acct limited for no reason whatsover, never a complaint.. I will email them tomorrow, from the library, and let u guys know what they say..)
Old 02-28-2008

Ohh, looking forward to their response! Remember to make it angry sounding...
Old 02-28-2008

I mean I dont think this is going to work.

If they have your money and you are limited. How is a chargeback going to hurt them because they are going to just take the money right out of your account and not loose anything.

If you are limited and have no money in the account then just call paypal and be like wtf am i limited for and they unlimit you.

Paypal isnt scared of chargebacks. They are scared of chargebacks that they cant cover. Ie why they limit you if you try to remove all the money from your account, because if someone were to do a chareback and you dont have the funds in your account, then they have to cover the cost.

Maybe im missing something with your plan mantisinc but i think its pointless.
Old 02-28-2008
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Ebayhateluv seems to be the only person who reads and gets it. You can imply you'll contact ALL of your customers from the last 2 weeks to chargeback so they get their money back for unshipped items thus far exceeding what may have been in your account at the time you were limited. Paypal would lose a ton of money with no way to recover it from you not to mention incur a ton of chargeback fees. Why would they risk this to keep you frozen when a review of your accout should show no fraud to begin with?
Old 02-28-2008

Okay, let me see if I understand this using an example.

You sold 10 items worth $300 each over the last two weeks.
So thats $3000.

Now within that last week, you withdrew $2000 from your paypal.

Ergo, if you get all your customers to do chargebacks, paypal only gets $1000 from you, but has to give the customers $3000 for a net loss of $2000?
Old 02-28-2008

^ yep, thats how this thing works

works even better if all those customers are your other ⊗⊗⊗⊗ accounts, that way you get double money - this is extremely illegal though..
Old 02-28-2008
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballsack View Post
Uh no paypal will not ignore threats of chargebacks from anyone unless they want to go bankrupt. I'm positive they already have a policy in place to deal with this particular situation and I'd be willing to bet anything the mere mention of a chargeback much less a multitude of them will automatically get you a temporary free pass. They might at some time afterwards close your account but not before you've withdrawn all the money you've rightfully earned. When paypal freezes an account their software is simply telling them you might be a potential scam artist trying to take ppl's money which is simply their excuse to hold your money but now you're telling them that chargebacks are imminent if you don't unfreeze your account. They have no choice but to release the funds to you because they have to follow policy. There's no logic to ignoring your threat because they most likely didn't have a good reason to limit you in the first place. They have nothing to gain and everything to lose by keeping your account frozen.
I just saw a pink elephant fly past my window.
Old 02-29-2008

agreed imjustme. PayPal probably DO have a system in place for such an eventuality Mr. Sack, but if I was PayPal (if I could literally be the entity of an organisation that is), the system I'd have in place would not be too say 'oh ok lets unlimit their account', but to ban all charge backs happening against the account... ok so for genuine chargebacks this could be a problem.. but at the end of the day when has that sort of problem stopped the lovely institution we call our Pal, in the past?
Old 02-29-2008
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

How can you agree with me and imjustme at the same time?
Old 02-29-2008

I still dont think this will work. Ok in the scenario. Youve done 3000 worth of sales and youve gotten out 1000 and they freeze the account with 2000 in it.

If you threaten them with chargebacks all they will do is send you the email saying "we regret to infrom you we no longer want to do business wih you and will be refunding your buyers blah blah blah.

so in a best case scenario, they refund the buyers whos money they are holding and not the ones whos money you've already put into your bank account. so you can have them just pay again.

worst case scenario they start just giving money back and people who already have their item get their money back and have the item you sold them and people who havent gotten their item dont have their refund. Then you look like a scam artist. This plan wont work.
Old 03-03-2008

Default Paypal's Reply...

HI, GUys: A quick Update:

Heres Paypal s Reply, when I was Pretty aggressive with them about limiting my acct, during the attempt to pay an invoice for $9,100.00 a week ago...
So.. I GUESS, they of course do not Care one way or another, They just want OUR money in THEIR bank account, to collect interest!!!

Dear Lxxx xxxxxxxxxx,

Thanks for contacting PayPal. I appreciate the opportunity to assist you
with your questions.

We appreciate your interest in PayPal; however, our decision to leave
your account in a permanent limitation status is final.

PayPal reserves the right to limit access to any account reported to be
involved in possible fraudulent or high risk behavior. In the event of a
dispute, PayPal will seek to recover the funds from you by debiting your
PayPal balance and, if there are not sufficient funds in your PayPal
balance, PayPal reserves the right to collect your debt to PayPal by any
other legal means.

Due to the potential risk of chargebacks and other risks of funds
reversals, your balance will be held 180 days from the date the
limitation was originally placed on your account. At that time, any
remaining funds will be available for withdrawal.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Sincerely,
Chan
PayPal Account Review Department
PayPal, an eBay Company

Original Message Follows: