PayPal Credit Check - PayPal DOES run a credit check at some point on all accounts - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Old 02-29-2008

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 93%
Default PayPal Credit Check - PayPal DOES run a credit check at some point on all accounts

OK guys this is my first time posting here I just found this place what a great idea. I have been on ebay and paypal for awhile selling and just ran across something new to me havent seen it posted on these boards so here goes.

I have had quite a few pp accounts limited sometimes they come back sometimes not seems to me they always get limited after some amount of time and are stuck. Through better business I have kept them open much longer and am having much less trouble with this issue. However recently a notification came up on my account it is like the limited screen but my account is not limited. I can get $$ out but there is a checklist that needs to be done and as you see below they say it will be limited if no SS is given.

I am not the name on the account so I cant very well give them the social is there any way around this that you guys have found? Second does anyone have any idea how long they will let me string them along asking for info for it has been 5 days I was assuming 7 or 10 until they get pissed.

here is the BS form letter

As part of our security measures, we regularly screen activity in the PayPal system. We recently noticed the following issue on your account:

PayPal occasionally performs credit checks on selected account holders. Your account has been selected to go through this process. We must complete a credit review in order for the warning on your account to be lifted. In most cases, the account holder's personal credit is analyzed using a Social Security number and an address likely to generate a match with a credit bureau. Please log into your PayPal account to provide this information. If an examination of your business credit would be more appropriate, please contact our customer service department to supply your Tax ID number.

In order to secure your account, we would like further information from you. We appreciate your understanding as we work to ensure account safety.

Please log in to your PayPal account to respond to this request. Be sure to log in securely by opening a new browser window and typing the PayPal URL. Once you log in, you will be asked to provide information to secure your account.

If we do not receive a response, we may have to limit access to your account. Limited access protects your account until additional security measures can be completed.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 02-29-2008

Longevity: 97%

I wonder are they just verifying your address through the credit report or actually making a decision based on your beacon score?
Old 02-29-2008
Threadstarter  

they want to run a credit check because of my sales it would seem I went up this past month from around 3 gs a month to 5500 thats about when this all happened. Assuming they could run this check which they cant they would look for reasons to limit me like too much debt to equity or some garbage they use
Old 02-29-2008

Longevity: 94%

For one running that much $$ through per month they will try to limit you..second make sure this is not a phishing email..I always say I do not give out my SS# they have to offer another option..
Old 02-29-2008

Longevity: 95%

I ve had Paypal accts since Paypal was started, I ve never recd this type of verbage, they always do not tell u what theyre up to...
It must be new??
Old 02-29-2008

Yeah ive never heard of this one..must be new..are you sure its directly from Paypal?

why would they do a credit check?
Old 02-29-2008
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

I pm'd him and suggested he post the email here so it could be checked. A lot
of phishing this week from "paypal."
Old 02-29-2008
Threadstarter  

I copied and pasted the email in the original post. I will take it again and go word for word for you guys to see. I actually didnt find out by email I logged in and it goes to a splash page like a limitation page saying we require additional information. It then allows me into the account and at the tope where it would say you account is limited it says the info thing. Go into the resolution center same deal a list of 2 things to do as if I was limited ( one SS# the other set credit check address) and under the part where itsays things you can/cant do the only thing I cant do is close my account everything else is green

FULL EMAIL Subject: Notification About Your PayPal Account

Dear ********,

As part of our security measures, we regularly screen activity in the PayPal system. We recently noticed the following issue on your account:

PayPal occasionally performs credit checks on selected account holders. Your account has been selected to go through this process. We must complete a credit review in order for the warning on your account to be lifted. In most cases, the account holder's personal credit is analyzed using a Social Security number and an address likely to generate a match with a credit bureau. Please log into your PayPal account to provide this information. If an examination of your business credit would be more appropriate, please contact our customer service department to supply your Tax ID number.

In order to secure your account, we would like further information from you. We appreciate your understanding as we work to ensure account safety.

Please log in to your PayPal account to respond to this request. Be sure to log in securely by opening a new browser window and typing the PayPal URL. Once you log in, you will be asked to provide information to secure your account.

If we do not receive a response, we may have to limit access to your account. Limited access protects your account until additional security measures can be completed.

Sincerely,
PayPal Account Review Department
Old 02-29-2008

You don't happen to have a Paypal debit card for this account do you?
Old 02-29-2008
Threadstarter  

no the debit card is a luxury I have not had for many years my friend
Old 05-26-2008

Longevity: 92%
Default PayPal Credit Check

So today on one of my accounts was limited with the following email.

Quote:
Dear XXXXXXXXXX,

As part of our security measures, we regularly screen activity in the PayPal system. During a recent screening, we noticed an issue regarding your account.

For your protection, we have limited access to your account until additional security measures can be completed. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

To review your account and some or all of the information that PayPal used to make its decision to limit your account access, please visit the Resolution Center. If, after reviewing your account information, you seek further clarification regarding your account access, please contact PayPal by visiting the Help Center and clicking "Contact Us".

We thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. Please understand that this is a security measure intended to help protect you and your account. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Sincerely,
PayPal Account Review Department
So i was kinda freaked when I got this because There would be no way to have a credit check on this account. When I logged and went to the resolution center the only thing I could not do was send money and request funds. I am still able to withdraw to my bank and receive ebay payments as i normally would.

So my question is how long do I have to provide them with this info before I am limited completely. Has anyone been in this situation. Any Thoughts. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-26-2008
Administrator

Thanked 4,228 Times in 1,792 Posts
Activity: 4%
Longevity: 100%

This happened to me with one of my main Paypal accounts about a year ago, I gave them the info they requested and within 2 days my account was lifted. For you... if you can't give them this info, they're going to keep your account limited. I don't know how long you have; I would guess a week or two. Maybe longer. If you have an account manger they may lift your account if you're in good with them. You might want to contact them.

This is one of the downfalls of using Paypal. If you don't have an unused SS# available, you have limited options. There are a few threads on this subject in the forums. Do a forum search and read what ebayhateluv has said about this.

Good luck,
Old 06-11-2008

Longevity: 91%
Default PayPal Credit Check

Hi I like to confirm some information regarding the paypal check. If the account is ask for credit check, paypal requires us to submit the SSN and credit check address.

1. SSN can't be ⊗⊗⊗⊗ because it used to match the NAME, does it check your home address too?

2. credit check address: What address should I fill in for the credit check address? Can it be any old address in my credit history?

Besides, I read a lot of posts regarding the eBay and Paypal are now linked. In Paypal, if I submitted the address that has been previously registered in an suspended eBay account, will eBay find out the home address from the Paypal account is belong to the suspended account and therefore suspend the current eBay account?

What information does eBay get from Paypal to suspend an account, besides IP address?

I do not link my paypal to eBay. I generate invoice using 3rd party software and users checkout the eBay items through the storefront and send the payment to my paypal account. Since I do not send invoice through ebay and do not link PayPal to eBay. Will I be suspend because of receive payment to a paypal account that contains suspended eBay account home address?

I appreciate for your valuable response. Thanks.
Old 06-11-2008

HI:
For me--always--they preform a SOFT Credit Check--thus, they match the name and address as on file with the credit bureau--
If its NOT your name. then better think about starting over again--cant get around the ssn..
Old 06-12-2008

What if you have a name with a matching ssn, BUT you have a ⊗⊗⊗⊗ address?

Also, would they still ask you for an ssn if you already did 2 of the 3 requirement? If that's the case, then how are we able to open multiple accounts if they will eventually ask for a ssn anyways?
Old 06-12-2008

Longevity: 91%

I downloaded the eBay Stealth, you have to jump through some hoops, but you can get it basically for free. Or if you want, just pay for it straight out. It will give you some ideas on how to help in your situation. You may want to check this forum and every other forum on the net for current ideas/trends with the dynamic dual. NOW, I have a question about suspended accounts.

What will trigger PP to suspend an account? For example, what are the touchy areas that will get them to suspend it? Big withdrawals? Big purchases? In need of ideas
Old 06-13-2008

HI:
SSN issue: Very FEW times (for me)--have I been able to get around this--Thats why I run my high dollar items through ccnow/google checkout

As for pp --why do they limit, and when?
WELL---This my friend, is the Million dollar Question....
For "Me" personally--Ive been limited prob 40-50 times totally on diff accts--ranging from:
a.) Xfer money from 1 pp acct you own to another you won
b.) 1-2 Overseas buyers complaints--not recd/ recd too late/didnt like, etc...all in one weekend
c.) taking too much from my pp debit cards at once
d.) been limited when i merely did balance inquiries at an atm.. (This I was able to call their 3rd party screener to get hold removed)
e.) ebay accts get susp--ten pp goes down
f.) getting too much too soon into your ppacct
g.) getting funds in///then dormant// then funds come in again a month or so later
--so i guess the "patterN' had changed
h.) changing /adding/deleting email addys---change/add bank accts //phone/address/
new cc's
i.) doing too many Requests for money from the Request money tab
Basically--anything they want to..9I cannot even say its for a certain dollar volume, as Ive had accts receive $45 + then get limited)
Old 06-19-2008

Talking >. Paypal-Runs SOFT Credit Report--then PERM LIMITS??

HI:
I just confirmed what I believe Aspkin has talked about in the past- that When you get PERMANENTLY LIMITED (for Life) from Paypal--its because theyve
pulled a "Soft Credit Report" on you, based upon them having your SSN...OR-
Just your name/address, they can run a soft pull--this is how Banks, send you
'Pre-Approved" credit offers, with just your address--

Heres a credit pull from Paypal from my moms credit report---
(BTW--AR, standing for Accts Receivable)--which is standard for all of your creditors...

AR-Paypal Inc 03/22/2008
2211 N 1st St Paypal An Ebay Company San Jose,
CA 95131-2021
Old 06-19-2008
Administrator

Thanked 4,228 Times in 1,792 Posts
Activity: 4%
Longevity: 100%

Paypal checks your credit to see if you're a high risk seller. If you have bad credit they don't want you to sell with them. If you have good credit they'll let you continue selling. That's how I see it at least.
Old 06-19-2008

That's not always true. In my case Paypal/ebay pull equifax and my eq. score is well above the 720 range (fico not fako) with that I was still suspended. Speaking of suspension I got an email from their trust and safety dept. this morning asking me to chat with ebay live and discuss my issues with my suspension so they can get me up and running or something like that! Said to say they sent me!!! Whatever that means.
Old 06-19-2008

Longevity: 96%

You can have an 800 FICO and be denied, your credit score is NOT the only reason for denial.

Paypal has to have permissable purpose to even pull a inquiry pull on your file. Therefore they by law have to follow the FCRA for pulling ones credit and if questioned they must provide the permissable purpose for pulling your credit.

Also, 720 might be low for them, you will never know what their standards are. They change every day.
Old 06-19-2008

I did not apply for credit with them. I was only suggesting that it is not true, in my case, the higher the score the chance of keeping your account is greater. See? Paypal/ebay looks for scores in mid 600's your chances for approval increase as with most lenders, low debt to credit lines, long positive history, no collections, number of new acct's & inq.etc. Ebayhateluv is right, they can do a "soft pull" on you unless you opt-out. They will not single you out, they ask for a general range and maybe they match those names with pp/ebay customer names?

Last edited by trg005; 06-19-2008 at 07:00 PM.