How long do Ebay buyers have to return a item? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 11-08-2011

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 73%
Default How long do Ebay buyers have to return a item?

How long do Ebay buyers have to return a item?

I have heard and read that they have 45 days from the time they pay to return the item if positive feedback is left.

And 60 days from the time they pay for the item if there is no positive feedback left at all.

Is this true and is there anything the buyers can do?

Last edited by secret storm; 11-08-2011 at 10:22 PM.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 11-09-2011

I know the 1st one is correct. But I didn't know about the 60 days one? I think it is just 45 days if I'm not mistaken.
Old 11-09-2011

Longevity: 95%

Well the way ebay works is the buyers can do what ever they want. If they want to open a dispute and get there money back ebay will open the door for them. If the buyers dosent want to send the item back they can simply keep the item and get a full refund! this is how ebay works. The ? you should ask your self is "Is there anything the buyers can NOT do?
Old 11-09-2011

Doughboy is correct. Unfortunately the seller is screwed either way.
Old 11-09-2011

Longevity: 76%

i think they have 45 days to file a dispute. I dunno about the 60 day with no feedback left. I'd like to know that one also just for future reference

I f you don't refund them, and they open a dispute it could count against you.
buyer is due a full refund of original payment

If it was your fault, you should(but don't have to) also pay for return shipping.
If its a cheap item...i'd just refund them the money back and move on...it ain't worth the hassle with the feedbacks,ebay,paypal

If its a high dollar item, i would think they would have to return the item back to you and then you refund them,,,little hassle... butt, thats the business we are in with e bay.
Old 11-09-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

warning ebay link ***

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/...rotection.html

Spare me any grief about this 60 days

A buyer may smooth talk ebay into doing a lot of things that are not within their stated guidelines.

As for saying they have to return an item, rubbish. Often the buyer gets to keep the item & gets refunded. Stop thinking nice things about a policy that can & does sux away your money.
jeffweico (11-09-2011)
Old 11-09-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

Greenbean is totally right here. And nobody has mentioned the buyers' Nuclear Option - the CHARGEBACK. This can happen up to 6 months (180 days) after their credit card was charged for the item.

Luckily, this is fairly rare. How much of a problem it will be for YOU depends a lot on what you sell. Unfortunately, sometimes buyers set out to scam sellers and get free merchandise. There are websites that tell buyers how to get "free stuff" - mainly by purchasing from a small eBay seller and claiming their purchase is ⊗⊗⊗⊗. That way, they can keep the item AND they get their money back. The seller - who most often tried to sell their LEGITIMATE item, loses the ITEM, their MONEY and maybe even their SELLER ACCOUNT. These webites never highlight that fact. They just make it seem like the buyer will be scamming eBay. But is is not eBay that takes these losses. It is the small seller that gets hosed.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffweico For This Useful Post:
cherrqell (11-17-2011)
Old 11-09-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,192 Posts
Longevity: 91%

there are sites that tell people how to do this - that explains alot jeff - had similar experience and all seemed weird and planned.
Old 11-09-2011

Longevity: 78%

I'm probably a little bit off, but guys you're so damn right about the buyers... They can do whatever they want. I shipped an item to Argentina by first class int'l. The buyer left me a positive feedback that the jacket is so great and he is happy with it. 1 week later he opened a case on paypal that he never received the item. Paypal refunded him, I lost my item and shipping cost too.

About a month ago I shipped an item to Russia by first class int'l again ( ). This time the item I sold was a bunch of socks. Buyer contacted me about 25 days after the date his package was shipped saying he hasn't received his item yet. I told him that we should wait 5 more days and probably it arrives. So 5 days later I asked him about the package again, and he said that he just received the socks and they're great. A few hours later another message arrived from him stating the previous message was a reply to another seller, the package I sent him still hasn't arrived...

They can do whatever they want and it's really sad and annoying
Old 11-14-2011
Threadstarter  

Ok, well has anyone ever sold anything for 45 days and the buyer wanted to receive a refund on the 46th day or past it. What happend? Did ebay rule in there favor even though they couldnt file a dispute?

I need to know the answer for this because I have two people that want there money back and one has left positive feedback and its been 90 days. The other item has been 47 days and they have not left positive feedback.
Old 11-14-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,908 Times in 8,201 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

That's right - do NOT forget the cc chargeback.
Old 11-14-2011
Threadstarter  

Well when I sell I do not take credit card payments directly. So has anyone ever sold anything useing paypal and stayed sold for 45 days and the buyer wanted to receive a refund on the 46th day or past it. What happend? Did ebay rule in there favor even though they couldnt file a dispute?

I need to know the answer for this because I have two people that want there money back and one has left positive feedback and its been 90 days. The other item has been 47 days and they have not left positive feedback.
Old 11-14-2011

Send a message via MSN to GTB Send a message via Yahoo to GTB

buyer has 45 days to open a dispute and request a return of the item and you have 60 days to issue a refund

thats how it is in the uk anyway
The Following User Says Thank You to GTB For This Useful Post:
Cashew (11-17-2011)
Old 11-14-2011

Longevity: 72%

I have not sold anything on ebay, but I have purchased a lot of items from USA to my country Sri Lanka. You people can use USPS first class mail international or USPS priority mail international. I always receive items through priority mail within about 10 days but sometimes I don't receive items from the first class mail. I have never made any chargebacks I get refunds by just contacting the seller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratleg View Post
I'm probably a little bit off, but guys you're so damn right about the buyers... They can do whatever they want. I shipped an item to Argentina by first class int'l. The buyer left me a positive feedback that the jacket is so great and he is happy with it. 1 week later he opened a case on paypal that he never received the item. Paypal refunded him, I lost my item and shipping cost too.

About a month ago I shipped an item to Russia by first class int'l again ( ). This time the item I sold was a bunch of socks. Buyer contacted me about 25 days after the date his package was shipped saying he hasn't received his item yet. I told him that we should wait 5 more days and probably it arrives. So 5 days later I asked him about the package again, and he said that he just received the socks and they're great. A few hours later another message arrived from him stating the previous message was a reply to another seller, the package I sent him still hasn't arrived...

They can do whatever they want and it's really sad and annoying
Old 11-15-2011

the short answer to this is "the end of time minus 2 days."

its seller beware on ebay
Old 11-16-2011
Banned

Thanked 2,029 Times in 1,356 Posts
Longevity: 87%

The "professional buyers" on ebay will use every tool they can to screw over a seller.

The "professional buyer" has exploited this since they stopped allowing sellers to leave feedback.

I get a few " I received this item and it is not what I thought it was" questions with another message behind it "I will keep it and save YOU the return shipping if you refund the shipping cost to me". Even though I have buyer pays all return shipping cost.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandy D For This Useful Post:
biggunn (02-22-2012)
Old 11-16-2011

Longevity: 95%

This is exactly why more and more people are turning to their own websites. Sadly Ebay is becoming death for us sellers.
Old 11-17-2011

Basically they have as much time as they want to return the item if they have NOT left you feedback. I would accept a return even 2 months later rather than him leaving a negative feedback for some false reason.
Old 11-17-2011

Absolutely. Buyer filed case after 45 days got their money back from paypal. Even worse I was charged fee from the credit card (I think it was $25.00). It absolutely sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret storm View Post
Well when I sell I do not take credit card payments directly. So has anyone ever sold anything useing paypal and stayed sold for 45 days and the buyer wanted to receive a refund on the 46th day or past it. What happend? Did ebay rule in there favor even though they couldnt file a dispute?

Old 11-17-2011

Longevity: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBean™ View Post
warning ebay link ***

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/...rotection.html

Spare me any grief about this 60 days

A buyer may smooth talk ebay into doing a lot of things that are not within their stated guidelines.

As for saying they have to return an item, rubbish. Often the buyer gets to keep the item & gets refunded. Stop thinking nice things about a policy that can & does sux away your money.

I guess it all depends on who your dealing with on Ebay.....

I have many times had someone buy from me and then decide later that they it isn't what they wanted, size, color, or just did not want it. I always tell them to send it back and i will gladly refund their money if its over 20.00
If it a 5.00 dollar item. i either send them another one the color or size they want for free and tell them to keep the first one.

i send a tracking number with everthing,,,,,,some say that dont matter,,,some say it does.....well, it has helped me with all my disputes, including the ones that say they never got it even tho it shows delivered.

Some open a dispute , and everytime they have been required to send the item back to me. When they do, i refund them back. The ones that don't send it back with proof , they lose....EVERYTIME At least that has been my experience.

Every one of my sales go through Pay pal

Maybe their is other ways to screw you outa your money, chargebacks,credit card claims, or whatever, but i've been lucky i guess.

good luck
Old 11-17-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithg57 View Post
Absolutely. Buyer filed case after 45 days got their money back from paypal. Even worse I was charged fee from the credit card (I think it was $25.00). It absolutely sucks.
That was not a PayPal case, it was a chargeback. The $25 fee is commonly imposed on a merchant who has an item charged back. PayPal SAYS they will defend sellers from chargebacks, but the fact is the decision rests with the buyer's bank. And the banks normally side with their customers.
Old 11-17-2011

Longevity: 72%

I can answer this one for you all..

UK.. The buyer has 45 days from payment ! not from when they bought it to raise a dispute. eBay will not let them open a case unless its a charge back..And yes i have put this to the test a few times.One case did open after the 45 days but after updating the case with the fact it was over 45 days it was closed in my favour.

The buyer has 60 days from the date of the purchase ! not payment to leave what ever feedback they wish.

So to sum up, After 45 days the money is your and its upto you if you refund or not but bear in mind they have 60 days to leave feedback.