Connecting to dialup using remote desktop - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 03-04-2008

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 94%
Default Connecting to dialup using remote desktop

Has anyone ever done this?

My dad has a land line and a dialup connection. I of course only have a cell phone and cable.

Has anyone ever used a remote desktop to connect to a computer using dialup and allow yourself to change your ip by dialing up?

When I tried it you cant use both your cable connection to connect to the remote desktop and then disconnect that to connect via dialup.

My dad is a computer wiz and he was not able to figure it out. He was talking to me in another language describing why it wouldn't work. I understood it a little but I cant recite it here.

Has anyone had any luck doing this???
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 03-04-2008
Threadstarter  

Default anybody have any comments?

I have not seen a reply on this, does this post make sense?

Basically I dont want to pay for dialup internet, because I would then have to buy a landline which is another 50 bucks a month.

Does anybody have any good options for accessing dialup the cheapest way possible.

I am loving my dads setup, he has long distance phone service, So I have accounts in multiple cities.

But I dont want to have to go to his house everytime I want to access my paypal accounts, or create a new account.

I was thinking remote desktop but that doesnt seem to work.
Old 03-05-2008
Threadstarter  

Default so everyone purchases a landine

Does everyone that is using dialup purchase a landline?

That is what I am trying to avoid because I have no use for it besides dialup.
It may come in handy for verifying a paypal account but I still dont think it is worth it.

Looks like I am going to be giving my local phone company 50 bucks a month:(
Old 03-05-2008

are you saying:

Use cable connection to connect to your fathers computer to connect to eBay?
I don't see why that wouldn't work, if you install remote desktop software on his computer (e.g. can control it remotely, can't remeber what the softwares called has a V in it, you can get it free), then he is connected via dialup, you should be able to access his computer and control it, e.g. open a browser on his computer and connect to ebay and it would have his IP address not yours.

Theres no way, I know of, that you could cause his computer to dialup from your computer though, so it would have to be already online... unless you were an amazing driver coder and could make the modem recieve calls which initiate the dialup process, unlikely that though.
Old 03-05-2008
Threadstarter  

thanks for the reply on this one.

I am aware that I can connect to his computer if it is already connected to dialup and use it like that. But then I would have to call him and hassle him everytime I need a new connection to a new city.

The optimum would be if I can connect to dialup on my own instead of having it already connected.

Sounds like this is not a possibility.
Old 03-05-2008
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%
Smile maybe this?

:D seller, I just read a post by Bill Cobb and he talks about the use of a wireless
card with a cell phone. He says it costs $60.00 per month with verizon, maybe slower than DSL but does give a different IP on each sign in: would that be of any use to you? Good Luck
Old 03-06-2008
Threadstarter  

no thats not so good, I need to be able to dial out to los Angeles, Anchorage, uzbekistan and many different places. That is the beauty of dialup.
Old 03-06-2008

Longevity: 95%

why is this not a possibility?
you get a long distance phone plan and start connecting everywhere you want
Old 03-08-2008
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivegotinfo View Post
why is this not a possibility?
you get a long distance phone plan and start connecting everywhere you want
Are you saying use that with the internet card?
I am trying to avoid paying 60 dollars a month for dialup internet. Long distance and dialup would cost over 60 dollars. I can get two broadband connections for that price.
Old 03-09-2008

Longevity: 93%

Seller, if you have broadband you can connect to a remote computer via VNC remote software, however once you see that computer the chances of then dialing in via modem from that computer are slim becuase there may be some sort of ip conflict and you will get kicked out from your remote session, BUT i have tested this so i dont know if it will or will not work.

By the way are you saying that you dont have a telephone in the place were you have your cable modem ? if you dont then i see your point why you need to pay for another line, but if you have a line your place already then thats all you need for dialup get a pre paid account with an ISP as little as $10 and use that to dial in....

hope this info helps.
Old 03-09-2008
Threadstarter  

I do not have a landline. I use my cell phone for all of my calls and have no need for one. I doubt I will ever own a phone connected to a landline.

Anyway, what you said above is what I have experienced. You cant keep your remote connection and then connect to dialup on the computer you are connected to.

The solution to that is this. And I am still in the process of getting this.
I will use 3 computers.
I will use two computers connected by broadband one at my house and one at my dads, the third computer will be dialup ready.
I will use my computer to connect to my dads broadband computer. From that remote connection I will connect to the dialup ready computer. So in essence I am using two remote connections even tho the two computers are side by side.

Sure beats paying 60 plus dollars a month for a landline and dialup. Given the fact that I would use the landline soley for my dialup.

I suppose a landline would help in getting a rock solid account up, b/c from what I hear ebay and paypal dont like cell phones.
But they are going to have to accept me for who I am. I am an ebay seller who uses paypal but does not have a landline
Old 03-09-2008
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Seller, if this works for you, good luck. I love the idea of someone trying to
work ebay for themselves.