how to make money on and OFF of ebay / where to find items - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > General Discussions (Off-Topic) > Everything Else

Everything Else For off-topic conversation. The rules are relaxed in here, but play nice!

Old 10-09-2007

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 96%
Default how to make money on and OFF of ebay / where to find items

This list may seem a little “ghetto” to some. People in the ghetto often have to get creative to make ends meet.

if you have anything to add... PLEASE do!

Where to find items for ebay:

Drop shipping:
I have no experience with this and therefore will not comment. If you have experience in this area please post it below.

Salvation army goodwill amvets:
All these kinds of places hold daily auctions at their main warehouse. I have had the most experience with the salvation army. you can get a truck load of anything. are you selling vacuums? pick up a truck load of vacuums there. anything you can think of large and small. clothing by the truckload. books, anything. They auction items both individually and by lots. You can get a pick-up truckload of items for $100-300. it's not the stuff they can't sell either, many times the auctions get the items first. only after they have not been sold at auction do they make it to the store.

Yard/garage/moving/estate sales:
These are hit and miss plus it involves a lot of driving. You also need to have some idea of the value of items you’re buying. The first time I devoted a Saturday morning to yard selling for ebay items I did pretty good. I went to 4 sales in different parts of town. I picked up a couple of car parts at one place because I knew what they were and how much I could get for them. That last place had a ton of comic books and comic related items I purchased for $75 (also got him to throw in a fan and dvd shelf). They were not comics that I recognized, mostly newer anime stuff, some dc and marvel here and there. It seemed like such a good deal I had to try it. The next week I had already made $700 on the comics. I still have half of the books sitting in storage. I have never tried yard selling since then. Just did not have the need or time.

Library book sales:
This depends on the size of your city. In my city there is one main library that holds a special book sale once a month. They are clearing out donated books for fund raising. All paperbacks were selling for $0.25 or 5 for a dollar, even the large coffee table paperbacks. I have found some really good deals at those sales. I have also seen some local bookstore owners in there buying at the same time. If you do not know anything about books, this is not for you.

Auto repair shops and dealerships:
Ebaymotors is a great place to make some money and it is where I got my start on ebay. There is so much waste in the auto industry it is mind-boggling. Most dealerships regularly throw out $10,000’s worth of brand new parts every year. My best buy was for $86,000 (retail value) worth of brand new overstocked items. Picked it up for $3000 cash. they were going to just throw it all out. Now the problem is trying to figure out what the part’s fit. All you get is a part in a box with a number on the outside. You have to find ways of researching the part number online until you get a match. It’s hard to sell a fuel pump if you don’t know what kind of car it fits! I won’t bother posting the websites here but if you need them pm me and I will send them to you.
Print out some business cards and pass them out to parts manager’s and asst. managers at your local car dealerships. Let them know that you purchase new and used auto parts by the lot. One phrase that worked for me was “why clog the landfills? just sell them all to me”. Most dealerships have to pay to have them removed!
Privately owned auto body repair shops are also a great source of items. Whenever buying from these guys remember that you will have to ship the item out. Don’t get doors, hoods, bumpers, or other large items unless you can handle it. Get the headlights, visors, emblems, mirrors, interior trim, steering wheels those are easy to sell on ebay. Headlights are number one in value. Especially the xenon/hid ones. They can be smashed and still sell for $100+.

Bringing in extra money when you need it:

Industrial recycling:
This is a dirty job and requires a pick-up truck. Wooden pallets that can be found laying in alleys around town can be sold for $5-20 a piece. Contact your local recycling center to get the exact prices. Most also take refrigerators, washer/dryers, and stoves/ovens too.
All those household appliances can also be sold to local used appliance stores. They will fix and resell them.
This kind of thing I have not done in years and would only do it now if I was REALLY broke.

Automotive recycling:
Some junkyards pay for parts. They don’t pay much, contact them ahead of time. They also usually require you to have a reseller’s permit. The ones in my area buy bumper covers, doors, headlights, and fenders. My local autobody repair shops throws all those items away on a regular basis. It may be a little Sanford and son but hey, every dollar counts right? Lets say you pay the bodyshop $1-5 per item. And sell them to the junkyard for $10-20 an item. It’s a profit right?
The dirtiest side to this is core money. You can sell used radiator, alternators, water pumps and such for scrap metal or to repair shops that rebuild them. Make sure you find a buyer and their price structure before you start buying.

Books:
If you know something about books you can pick up a few bucks by selling to local used bookstores. Thrift stores, auctions, yard sales, and library book sales can be a good source for books.

Animals/pets:
This can be a very touchy subject for some people. You do not want to be accused of being a “puppy mill or farm”. First I would like to say that if you are thinking about buying a family pet try your local humane society. 90% of people should get their pets there. Now the other 10% are looking for something specific: purebred, papered, “designer” pets. My experience in this area only involves puppies so that is all I will refer to here.
Take a look online and in your local newspaper. See what kind of puppies are selling for the most money in your area. In my area it was yorkie (yorkshire) terriors, maltese, and other small “tea cup” sized dogs. The smaller the dog the more you can ask for it. Do not get involved in this unless you have the time to properly care for the animals! I have found this very rewarding because, come on, who wouldn’t want to pay the rent by taking care of puppies all day. my rent is over $1600 a month!
Once you have decided which breed you’re going for it’s time to find a breeder. Don’t send any money orders to Nigeria whatever you do!! Search online for breeders (try Dogs - Cats - Horses - TerrificPets.com or similar) I have even found breeders listed in paypal’s store section. Try to research the breeder as much as possible.
I would buy two puppies at a time and have them flown in. just pick them up at my local airport. Shipping charges for a dog is $250, but you can ship two dogs in the same crate for no extra charge. Plus they feel more comfortable with a friend. Hence I bought two at a time. Boys were $600 and girls $800. Those puppies were selling between $1200-1800 in my city.
One friend I have took out a loan at a bank to buy a couple of those little ugly english bulldogs. He breeds them now. Paid off his loan in the first year and a half. it took him a year to get the first litter. he had bought them as puppies. if you want to go right away you would have to buy adult dogs. Another friend got started by buying puppies from breeders. Now he breeds them himself. He also still buys from other breeders to meet the demand.
if you live out in the middle of nowhere you can start breeding and selling them online. you won't get top dollar but it will supplement your income.

Online surveys:
Some people claim to make $400-1200 a month doing this. Trick is to find the real sites that will actually pay you. I found one website that has a good list: SurveyStar Be careful when signing up to a website. Most will ask for your name, address, and birth date. Others try to get your social security number. I would not recommend giving out your ssn# online at anytime.
The Following User Says Thank You to spike1 For This Useful Post:
InvisibleK (09-17-2011)
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 10-11-2007
Administrator

Thanked 4,228 Times in 1,792 Posts
Activity: 4%
Longevity: 100%

Great information. I've been meaning to get rid of extra crap I have laying around. I random car part or two, books, games and other things building up dust.
Old 10-11-2007
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 23%
Longevity: 95%
Smile

Hi, I had a visit today from a local Verizon repairman, and he was asking me what all of the boxes are for, and soon enough the talk turned to ebay. He gave me a great tip and example. He personally sells coins, most he buys from his customers when talking about his coin interest and they have no idea of the value. He also attends his state government auction held every two months which he said is a HUGE treasure trove. Car parts, electronics, furniture, you name it. His example was that he purchased a truck load of industrial garbage bags new in the box, which broke down to about .88 cents per box, and resold them on ebay indiviaully, and in lots for a minimum of $8.75 per box. Looks like a great avenue to explore. Have a great day everyone, Ro.
Old 10-11-2007
Threadstarter  

yes. i think that might be the county assessors or public administrator auction.

you can find the info on their auctions online. usually free at their own .gov website.

he's a link to a site that shows auctions for some of southern california:

San Diego guide to thrift, antique, resale, collectibles, consignment, 2nd hand shops, vintage, specialty stores plus events calendar.

their auction page:

A San Diego guide to auction antiques, collectibles, clothing, jewelry, cars, stereos

i also forgot to mention public storage auctions. you never know what you can find there, mostly furniture from my experience. get out the phone book and call the local storage places to find out when their next auction will be.
Old 10-11-2007
Threadstarter  

wow! out here those have been going out of business. there used to be a ton of them
Old 10-11-2007
Banned

Longevity: 97%

Thats because they charge to freaking much
Old 10-30-2007
Threadstarter  

hey chris, what is that flag?

thought you were in the U.S.
Old 10-30-2007
Banned

Longevity: 97%

I am in US. Oh damn, wrong flag..lol
Old 03-03-2008

Longevity: 94%

Quote:
Drop shipping:
I have no experience with this and therefore will not comment. If you have experience in this area please post it below.
From what I've read, dropshipping began in the U.S as a way for warehouses and even manufacturers to differentiate themselves in a fiercely competitive market, and didn't make financial sense in terms of over head, but made sense it terms of increased volume. This happened organically, and consequently money could (and maybe still can) be quite easily made from it. This idea was copied by Austialian and UK manufacturers/warehouses, with one difference: much lower profit margins. Why? Because they didn't do it primarily as a competitive advantage, they did it because they realised there was potential demand, and demand drives up the price.

So, dropshippers in the UK (and I've researched a lot of them, and am with some), not only charge membership fees, but also set "wholesale prices" at a significantly more than one would expect wholesale to be. This makes selling on eBay quite difficult, but still possible, bottom line is you can make between 50p and max. £2.00 per item. One so called B2B electronics dropshipper has a dropshipping site one which they sell their products for exactly the same price as they do on their retail site. They justify it by saying you can potentially increase your cashflow because they leave VAT payment up to you...

My idea was to automate all the processes involved, including ordering, and sell in extremely high volume.. what I didn't know is that too much volume is somehow bad on eBay, gives the wrong impression.

I really like this taking cars apart idea though, but I know absolutely 0 about cars... I do have the space to tear apart one or two at a time though...

Och wellll.
Old 03-09-2008

Longevity: 93%
Send a message via AIM to Throb-n-Rod

i have never seen a legit dropshipper i buy from china direct on MOQ get quotes pics etc but i make the most from selling government surplus police auctions drug seasures and the like lost airport luggage most of this sels for a 700% markup i bought a box of blackberry rim 7250's for 180 havent even sold them all allready made 1300 so much good sheet at government auctions and they are in most states I attend auctions from ga to tx and up to iowa and sd at government liquidation dot com you can find items near you by state i make a killing buying radation detection equipment off that site as well as aircraft parts and get them re certified to make big bucks heck just a 4 dollar wing tip light can bring 800 dollars and dont get me started on trimble gps stuff 1500% markup
The Following User Says Thank You to Throb-n-Rod For This Useful Post:
techbayelectronics (07-21-2011)
Old 03-09-2008

oh another good one is butterflies you can buy them dry wings folded rehydrate them and put them in a ryker mount box buy them by the case total investment in say a blue morph 4 bucks sale price on ebay 25+ i have sold almost everything on ebay but like the easy money best and live for auctions and estate sales i bought a box of old american flyer stuff for 10 bucks and sold the locomotive for 450 and the dual controler for 185 and still have a box full of track and cars etc and heare is another good one one of the blackberry phones i bought had service for about 8 months the state attorney general called me reguarding its over use lol i called china every day on a state owned phone lol
Old 03-09-2008

I used to buy insurance totaled cars they have a location an hour from me that sells all the totaled cars in an auction i had someone that took them apart and sold the lighter parts on ebay made a killing until I lost the guy that took them apart for me and i just never hired any one else the reason they do so well is there is a national parts locator for all exterior parts but there is a demand for interior parts as there is no service for this nationwide so people are limited to what is at their local junkyard i have got more for a wrecked car than it would have brought in mint condition by parting it out
Old 03-12-2008
Subscribed [VIP]

Longevity: 94%

if you are good at making new ebay accounts, i suggest you should sell good vero items.
Old 11-10-2008
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 91%

There are places in EU that will ship out pallets of returned items. They are all classified by levels or letter grades. AA would be items that were bought and returned unused (sneakers, watches, clothes). That would be the most expensive pallet. Then BB would be bought, worn once, then returned. Then CC would be bought, used for over XX days and returned. Its cheaper as the risk for quality gets higher.

Im not sure if there are any places like that around the americas though.

Gem-wholesale or something...
Old 02-01-2011

Longevity: 76%

i know this thread is old, but i found alot of very useful information in it. thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to cataclysMic22 For This Useful Post:
techbayelectronics (07-21-2011)