Are you Allowed to Copy/Paste an Items Details? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Stealth Topics > Auction Listing

Auction Listing Images, Descriptions, Titles, Listing Advice, BIN and More!

Old 01-05-2012

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 71%
Question Are you Allowed to Copy/Paste an Items Details?

Lets say, not from another ad, but from the official site you copy and paste some of the "Specs" or their little promotional material that makes every little feature seem like a gift from god.

Probably bad for that Vero or whatever issue i'd assume?

Input is appreciated
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 01-06-2012
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 25%
Longevity: 72%

your allowed to copy technical details and info etc, but not descriptions from other ebay sellers, however if you are smart enough you can copy the main body and change some keywords, fonts, type face, colour etc, and get away with it, but with that being said, its probs best to do you own description unless your in a rush

safe
Old 01-06-2012

Activity: 1%
Longevity: 76%

Ok look DO NOT copy another sellers description even if you change the font, couple words etc etc as it will cause you problems down the road. I have a seller that is 100% changing my listings and trying to make it his own and let me just say that if it doesnt stop soon Im going to bring down the house on this sellers many accounts... this is why you COMPLETELY make up your own listing besides the key features of course. Sorry i wanted to start a post on why lazy people try to copy listings but your post will do
Old 01-08-2012
Banned

Thanked 2,029 Times in 1,356 Posts
Longevity: 87%

There is software out there that you can use that will take a paragraph and change the wording around with just one click.

I cannot remember the name but it is there. Maybe Aspkin will know since many webmasters use the software and many use it on the blogs etc.
Old 01-08-2012

Longevity: 73%

I reported another seller cos I was a bit annoyed that his title and most of the body of his text was the same as my listing.

Usually I let things slide, but I was in a grumpy mood...

This was the reply I got from eby:

"I can understand your concern. eBay doesn't allow sellers to use text from another member's listing without their permission. Let me assure you that it is our top priority to ensure eBay remains a safe and reputable place to shop.

We've reviewed both your listing and the listing you reported. I understand that the seller has copied few words from your listing however the violation part is not significant or substantial enough. Negligible amount of information or data can be interpreted as an "coincidence", and therefore cannot be substantially regarded as a theft. We only take action if a significant amount of text is copied from your listing.

We appreciate you taking a moment to express your concern to us. If you still feel that the reported listing is similar enough to your listing, please write back to us with more information that you believe is being copied. This will help us to assist you quickly and more efficiently.

Thank you again for your email. If you send us any further information we'll gladly investigate again for you."

The only different details was his shipping info.

Oh well - just one of those things I guess.

So in reply to the OP's question it seems that it is both ok and acceptable. Although a bit cheeky if you ask me!
Old 01-09-2012
Banned

Thanked 2,029 Times in 1,356 Posts
Longevity: 87%

I had a seller steal my pictures once. I reported them and it took all but an hour before the account said "no longer registered user".

It came back up later and of course they did not use my pictures or even sell the same type item.