Has anyone ever had Ebay Stock? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > WallStreetBets > Stock Market Traders > General Money Chat

General Money Chat Discuss other ways to make money online.

Old 03-22-2012
Subscribed [VIP]

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 70%
Default Has anyone ever had Ebay Stock?

I keep trying to find some info on this on the Ebay forums (the one that is actually on the Ebay site) but I can't find anyone who actually knows anything.

When I search for it on Google I get websites that I'm not sure I can trust. Does anyone here have Ebay Stock? If so, how did you get it?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 03-22-2012
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,909 Times in 8,202 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

I have had eB ay stock in late 90s - you can buy it either from broker or get on an online platform like TD AmeriTrade I am sure. I no longer carry it because 1) i have not researched it enough and 2) not much movement as fas as I am concerned.
Old 03-22-2012
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 5%
Longevity: 77%

I own ebay stock through my mutual fund. When I worked for Morgan Stanley, the best research platform for research for me was yahoo finance.

And with buying stock, the cheapest way is a online brokerage house. If you go to a full fledge broker you better not leave the house with less then $50k or be prepared to be laughed at.

Hope that helps out some
The Following User Says Thank You to yotano211 For This Useful Post:
GreenBean (03-22-2012)
Old 03-22-2012

Longevity: 69%

Will not Buy ebay stock but will Short it to the max.
Old 03-22-2012
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

I owned some back in 1998, when they had their IPO. I sold it long ago, however.
Old 03-22-2012

Activity: 9%
Longevity: 78%

Anybody buying ebay stock now would be a fool. Ebay is about to get buried by Amazon who is stealing its market share of buyers who now use Market Place. Craigs list is also a growing pain in ebays side and they have aquired stock in it in the hope to one day take it over. Other smaller concerns such as ebid and bonanza are chipping away at the mighty ebay as well.

My prediction is in time is that ebay which lose ground and market share and will get swallowed up by google or yahoo.
Old 03-22-2012
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

I'm sure Craigslist is somewhat in competition to Ebay but I think they need to get control the the SPAM before I consider them much of a threat. God, the spam is ridiculous.

(Edit to say: thanks for moving to Money Talks. Didn't notice that sub-forum )

Last edited by Sneakee; 03-22-2012 at 11:45 PM.
Old 03-23-2012
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 5%
Longevity: 77%

I dont think yahoo will do anything in terms of auctions or anything. They dont have the cash to do much of anything these days. But with google, I think they might expand their Google retail product. It might not include any auction type thing but I hope they might include something like that.
Old 03-23-2012
Executive [VIP]

Craigslist is public with stock offering already? I had not heard that.
Old 03-23-2012

The originator of craigslist gave private stock to the original employees and ebay bought that stock of one of those employee and they have been trying to get the rest.
Old 03-23-2012
Executive [VIP]

Ha eb is trying to buy the private stock...geez.
Old 03-23-2012

Longevity: 80%

when you're a long time successful company and now x years later need 5 plus commercials you know that is never good. eBay will be dead within a few years. Paypal is kinda the main reason why ( for me to stop using personally ).

All the other stuff I can live with but not the paypal situation. You can only move so much money through a stealth account and when their not willing to accept LEGIT business company info ALONE you know there is something wrong with them. All other legit businesses accept it without asking much more personal info.
Old 03-24-2012

I am suprised that the strict controls that paypal/ebay impose will not attract goverment departments in all the countries they are active in, especialy USA & the UK to impose legislation and sanctions against their highly reppressive trading and banking operation.

It will only be time before an action group will force this organization through goverment legislation to make this happen.

Also there are moves afoot in the different states to charge their state tax to internet sales and have ebay and amazon accountable for the collection of that tax, in one state the acts are called The Marketplace Fairness Act and the Marketplace Equity Act. This will be a huge impact on not only us as eretailers but them as the sales platform, which is another reason why they will lose ground in the coming years and stock prices will fall.
Old 03-24-2012
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamefreak View Post
when you're a long time successful company and now x years later need 5 plus commercials you know that is never good. eBay will be dead within a few years. Paypal is kinda the main reason why ( for me to stop using personally ).

All the other stuff I can live with but not the paypal situation. You can only move so much money through a stealth account and when their not willing to accept LEGIT business company info ALONE you know there is something wrong with them. All other legit businesses accept it without asking much more personal info.
You really think Ebay will be gone in a few years? It seems to me that they are getting bigger (rather than smaller). No matter how stupid their rules get, it's almost like people are stuck with them and they will always be around.

With the commercial thing I thought that they had more commercials back in the day. I remember commercials 8 years ago or so that were really cute. Now I never see commercials.
Old 03-25-2012
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts

eBay is not going anywhere. And they may shrink a little, but not by much. Even if ALL venues are forced to collect sales taxes, as long as it is across the board, eBay will be fine.

People have been predicting the end of eBay for years now. It hasn't happened and it won't happen. Like it or not, eBay has the eyeballs and it is where sellers want to be - even with all of their draconian rules.

Yes, the government MIGHT step in and regulate them to some degree. But be careful what you wish for, as that is a double edged sword. Let's say the government decrees that PayPal no longer hold any funds for more than 48 hours. Sounds great until PayPal responds by requiring all new users to undergo the same identity verification that a bank would and also requires a 700+ FICO score. The government cannot mandate that PayPal lose money by accepting all users regardless of risk.

Back in the day eBay was more fun and you could more easily sell whatever you wanted to sell. At that time, they were the only venue where you could sell in volume. Amazon had auctions back then, but very little volume compared to eBay. So did auctions.com, Yahoo, Lycos, Excite, MSN and several others. They are all gone now.

These days, Amazon's Marketplace has volume comparabale to eBay and in some cases is even BETTER than eBay. So, at least there is an alternative. The world of online selling has changed quite a bit and will continue to change in the future. Some of those changes will be for the better, some for the worse. And they will affect different people in different ways.

For example, eBays new TRS requirement that all TRS must use tracking will not affect most of us, as we were already doing so. But that is of little comfort to the people who cannot realisticially meet that requirement because their items weigh very little and are usually sent in an envelope with a stamp. Or that cannot always ship within 24 hours because their items are alive (plants or animals) and they have to take the weather into consideration (trucks are not air conditiuoned, at least not the cargo area). Of course, eBay just responded to their concerns by restating the new policy and saying how great it was going to be.

But, most of them will adapt, prices will just rise to compensate for it.

Nobody knows, myself included, what online selling will look like in 10 or 20 years. We can try to predict it, but that is all speculation. The only thing we can be 100% certain of is that it will be very different from what it is today. But then again, what in this world DOESN'T change?

Last edited by jeffweico; 03-25-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 05-20-2012
Banned

Thanked 2,029 Times in 1,356 Posts
Longevity: 87%

If any of us could predict what ebay or any other site would be like in 5, 10 or 20 years we would be auto millionaires.

Mark Cuban became extremely rich by seeing way ahead and I dont think none of us know what eb or amazon will be like in the future.

All I know is based on my thought is ebays business model sucks but they are built to last. Eb knows there will always be sellers and always be buyers therefore they are filling a need. Therefore they might downsize a bit and weed out the smaller sellers or something but they are not going anywhere.

So far every competitor has come and gone and never touched ebay.
Old 07-06-2012
Executive [VIP]

Ebay is actually doing very well in the stock market..... These changes some of do not like has benefited them. Making them look even smarter with investors.

It is a household name and respectable at most tables. It would take a scandal to take them down.