Ebay stores & competitor selling items for lots of $$$ - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Subscriber's Area > Subscriber Discussions

Subscriber Discussions The juicy stuff...

Old 04-06-2012
Subscribed [VIP]

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 70%
Default Ebay stores & competitor selling items for lots of $$$

I noticed another Ebay id that seems to sell a lot of random vintage items. His items are all over the place. Anywhere from tennis rackets to vintage dolls.

He lists everything at buyitnows w/ free shipping.

The thing that confuses me is that when I search his sold items he seems to do alright all things considering. Almost all the items that he sells are at the higher end prices. Even if they aren't mint.

If instance, one item that he sold was a tonka truck that wasn't even that old for $40 free shipping. This particular truck usually goes for $10 or so.

This is just one of the many examples.

He's not top rated/powerseller. He only has 90 feedback but he does have a store. I know that buyitnows with free shipping are supposed to get more exposure but it never made a difference for my items.

The only thing I see differently is that he has an Ebay store which I didn't think effected placement of listings.

So yeah, basically I'm just wondering if that might have something to do with it. Cause I have seen him sell items that are used and not in the best condition but he gets mint values for them. Like all the time!

Old 04-06-2012
Administrator

Thanked 1,568 Times in 861 Posts
Activity: 27%
Longevity: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneakee View Post
he gets mint values for them. Like all the time!
I think the thing you are missing is that this person might have had that Tonka Truck listed for many many months before he sold it by using the "Good 'Til Canceled" duration, just waiting for the exact right person to buy it.

I basically do the same thing since I sell a significant amount of vintage items. And I have some items listed from a year ago that are still current that haven't sold yet, but they will at my premium price.

When you checked his completed listings, and it shows that everything sold at those upscale prices, that indicates to me he has his duration set to "Good 'Til Canceled"...otherwise you would see a lot of unsold items.
Old 04-06-2012
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGMT² View Post
I think the thing you are missing is that this person might have had that Tonka Truck listed for many many months before he sold it by using the "Good 'Til Canceled" duration, just waiting for the exact right person to buy it.

I basically do the same thing since I sell a significant amount of vintage items. And I have some items listed from a year ago that are still current that haven't sold yet, but they will at my premium price.

When you checked his completed listings, and it shows that everything sold at those upscale prices, that indicates to me he has his duration set to "Good 'Til Canceled"...otherwise you would see a lot of unsold items.
Hum...this is a good point.

That could be the case. I wish there was a way to tell how long it was up before it got purchased.

The "sold" items only show the last 2-weeks, so I am shocked that he has I think gross $1500 worth of sold items (including shipping). I know that might not seem like a lot but it is to me considering his 90 feedback and the fact that the last 2 weeks have been mega slow for me.

It's just so extreme, if you go to completed listings on Ebay for a certain item his item is ALWAYS on the top price. Even though I don't think his listings are good and some of his things aren't in the best condition. It just seems so extreme.

I don't know. I guess I'm jealous. And confused!
Old 04-06-2012
Administrator

Thanked 1,568 Times in 861 Posts
Activity: 27%
Longevity: 91%

Quote:
I guess I'm jealous.
Don't be jealous. Looks like you live in a pretty good area for some Garage/Yard Sales.

Head out first thing Saturday morning and go get you your own beat-up Tonka's! :D

Old 04-06-2012
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Oh don't you worry. I am rocking the garage and estate sales.
Old 04-06-2012

Longevity: 79%

Yeah Good 'Til Canceled" duration springs to mind straight away - i have some accounts with shops some not - the ones with the shops tend to do better due the listing never really ending reaches 30 days and then carries on another 30 days and so on... keeps all its watchers and everything so eventually someone will buy it.

On one account actually i only have 1 item believe it or not but because it's a shop item it's been there for at least 6 months now sold 2000+ and it's 2nd highest listing with a crazy amount of watchers.

If your selling enough to pay for the shop prices - go for it!
Old 04-06-2012
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

The thing is, I have all my sales spread between five accounts. So I get free 50 listings for each account. If you take those away for one of my accounts for a store at best I would literally break even with the monthly store fee.

Of course, if it means that things sell better it would be worth it.

I guess I have some thinking to do.
Old 04-06-2012

Longevity: 84%

in the particular market im in there are a couple of competitors selling the EXACT same items as i am for at least 4 times the price and selling 10 times as many,

his listings/descriptions/ratings/feedback are no better than mine and hes a newer seller

and when i increase prices even a little then sales dry up

no rhyme or reason to it
Old 04-06-2012
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Well at least I'm not the only one that has has noticed this. I have the same problem with sales totally drying up if I try to get more than usual. Sure, I get the occasional great sale but it's not often enough. I really am starting to think it's just so random. He does have good feedback but it's no better than mine.

I might try listing a few items at buyitnows w/good-till-canceled. I have listed a few items at buy-it-nows w/free shipping for 30-day timespans and I have LESS watchers than the 7-day auctions that charge shipping (price equals out to be the same though).

I used to list everything at good-till-canceled. Then there was a couple months a couple years ago where I sold nothing. Of course, back then I didn't sell as many different items. I had all these fees from the renewal of the listings but I didn't make a dime. So I became bitter about that method.
Old 04-06-2012

Longevity: 73%

it could be the fact that he has repeat buyers or that he is advertising his listings somehow.

I sell in a very competitive category and If I don't list in quantity then I do not do well. For me it is that a small percentage of my sales would have me break-even with ebay fees and the rest will give a profit.

For me personally buy it now does not work as I sell in the electronics so most of my listings are 3 days with bidding and a reserve.
The Following User Says Thank You to baloch For This Useful Post:
jeffweico (04-06-2012)
Old 04-06-2012

i work the same baloch, need the huge quantity of listings to make any real monet

100 or 350 limits per month is not any good for me i like to have 6000+ listings on an account where possible

perhaps its just my market
Old 04-06-2012
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

I'm trying to understand, are you saying that if you only have 350 listings per month you don't sell anything?

So you list the same types of items 6000 times in a month?
Old 04-06-2012

Longevity: 75%

I was wondering that - I have accounts with just 4 listings on that make serious money
Old 04-06-2012
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

GrannyT - So you relist the same four items on this one account and it does really well?
Old 04-06-2012

The particular account has 4 items on that are GTC - when I get down to one I raise the price by £1,000 till more come in. Keeps the numbers sold and keeps you top of the listings

Old 04-06-2012

Whether they do well or not is between me and my bank manager - LOL
Old 04-06-2012

Quote:
I'm trying to understand, are you saying that if you only have 350 listings per month you don't sell anything?

So you list the same types of items 6000 times in a month?
yes thats correct, its a big playing field in the market im in and 350 listings wouldnt even get me on the pitch
The Following User Says Thank You to they_screwed_me_too For This Useful Post:
Sneakee (04-07-2012)
Old 04-06-2012
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

Baloch brought up a good point. This seller COULD have his own customers or repeat customers. I have several customers who buy from me on a regular basis even though my competitors are sometimes cheaper. They know that I describe my conditions accurately and ship the next day. And that sometimes means more to them than getting an item for a few dollars cheaper.
Old 04-09-2012
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Quote:
I noticed another Ebay id that seems to sell a lot of random vintage items. His items are all over the place. Anywhere from tennis rackets to vintage dolls.

He lists everything at buyitnows w/ free shipping.

The thing that confuses me is that when I search his sold items he seems to do alright all things considering. Almost all the items that he sells are at the higher end prices. Even if they aren't mint.

If instance, one item that he sold was a tonka truck that wasn't even that old for $40 free shipping. This particular truck usually goes for $10 or so.

This is just one of the many examples.

He's not top rated/powerseller. He only has 90 feedback but he does have a store. I know that buyitnows with free shipping are supposed to get more exposure but it never made a difference for my items.

The only thing I see differently is that he has an Ebay store which I didn't think effected placement of listings.

So yeah, basically I'm just wondering if that might have something to do with it. Cause I have seen him sell items that are used and not in the best condition but he gets mint values for them. Like all the time!
Well I have some more updated news about this guy.

Turns out, he isn't making crap. He sells like $200 a month and that's out of the 500 overpriced items he has listed.

Here's why I thought he was doing so well:

First off, when you go to completed listings under the items sold by a particular seller, it's supposed to go back only 15 days.

So when I was looking at the sold items I assumed it was all in the last two weeks.

Turns out, it actually was showing the history WAY back to January 2012. Don't ask me how that's possible or why it did that. But yeah, all those sales that I thought were so overpriced and so much of was actually over the span of 4 months.

So yeah, I think it's exactly what the other poster said. He lists a bunch of overpriced items at good till canceled and then he sits back and hopes someone bids. He gets lucky a few times a month.

I'm so very very happy that I'm not completely insane. That makes much more send than what I thought was happening!

I keep doing the math for having a store and it's never worth it to me. So I think I'll just keep doing what I'm doing for now :-)