2008 EBay Suspension Guide (Basic Step-by-Step) - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion! > eBay Suspensions

eBay Suspensions General issues related to eBay Suspensions. Mostly geared towards eBay.com.

Old 03-24-2008
Administrator

Thanked 4,228 Times in 1,792 Posts
Activity: 4%
Longevity: 100%
Default 2008 EBay Suspension Guide (Basic Step-by-Step)

A Simple eBay Guide: Getting You Started…

So as my other eBay guides have been outdated with time. I decided to create a simple step-by-step basic outline on creating an eBay account for 2008. This won't be in super detail as I don't want to be here all day, but it should be enough to get you going, and if you have any questions you can post them in the forum.

This is based on the recent eBay guide (eBay Stealth), which goes into much more detail. To get the full 34 page guide go to http://www.auctionstealth. com.

Here are the basic steps you should take in order to create an eBay account:

1. Remove TurboLister and any other eBay programs you might have

Removing any eBay software off your machine limits eBay's ability to link you to an account. For example every time you connect to eBay through TurboLister, your userid, and Ip address is transmitted to eBay and compared just as if you were logging into eBay directly. Any other software eBay has does the same thing. So take my word for it and remove any eBay software off your computer before getting started. *Tip – Auctivia is a good alternative to TurboLister.

2. Get Organized

Getting organized should be self explanatory. It's hard to do anything without being organized, now try taking on multiple eBay accounts without being organized. Save your self a lot of trouble and organize your account details with an excel sheet. This means names, addresses, usernames, passwords, emails, IPs, etc. Keep organized.

3. New ⊗⊗⊗⊗ Name (LLC/DBA etc..)

You can use any name your want really. I like to use funny names; I often use names from http://www.namehumor. com/. The only time it matters to use your real name is if you're accepting checks or MO. Then just use a variation of your name.

4. Firefox + remove cookies

COOKIES! Who doesn't like Cookies? No I'm not talking about real cookies; I'm talking about browser cookies. They keep your login details so you don't have to log back every time you visit a site. For example this forum: Once you sign-in, a cookie is set on your computer so the next time you visit you won't have to log back in. But this can work against you if you're on eBay. Remember to delete you browser cookies if you're working on multiple eBay accounts. One slip up with the wrong IP address without deleting cookies could link your accounts. If you just have one eBay account you don't have to worry as much because you're not logging into multiple accounts and cross contaminating if I may. But to be safe, use Firefox (Firefox web browser | Faster, more secure, & customizable) and set it to auto delete cookies when you close your browser. Tools >> Options.

5. New IP Address (Dialup / restart modem / VPN)

Change your Ip address. I'm not going to get into details here. Simply find a way to change your IP address before creating a new eBay account. If you're having any issues I recommend this forum: http://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-tracking/

6. New Address (Virtual Address or P.O Box)

Quick and dirty, you need a new address. You can't use your old address linked to another eBay account. So use either a P.O. Box or a Virtual Address if you're expecting people to mail payments. Or an address of a neighbor that you know isn't on eBay or a vacant house if you're just doing online payments. The main thing is the address should be real, and within 50-100 miles of your physical location. If you're in San Antonio, Texas don't list your address in New York somewhere. That could screw you over later on.

7. New Phone Number

You need a real working phone number. There are a lot of options for free phone numbers out there that forward calls to your cell phone or you can answer online, etc. I don't want to list any here because they cease to exist too often. But in this forum you can find a phone solution: http://www.aspkin.com/forums/phone-number-verification/. Just know you need a real working number for eBay verification. You can maybe get away with a ⊗⊗⊗⊗ number for a month or two, but eBay is calling numbers and making sure they're real. Don't risk a limited account, use a real working phone number.

8. Pick – use a Merchant account or Paypal

This is probably the biggest decision you'll have to make. To go with Paypal, risk being limited or linked. Or go with a Merchant account and all the extra work to make it useable on eBay. Let me make it a little easier. If you're a small seller, and you don't have a lot of eBay accounts. Stick with Paypal. If you sell a lot, and have multiple eBay accounts you'll most likely need a Merchant Account.

Paypal: Sign up for a Paypal account using a new bank account and giftcard (simon.com). Use the same account details you have for eBay and you're usually good to go. International sellers will have to select other options for their bank account and giftcard.

Merchant Account: Sign up for a merchant account (Merchant Plus) and fax in required documents to eBay. Setup Auctivia tokens and you're set. There are a lot of options for a merchant account and some extra steps you need to take in order for them to work with eBay. Read this forum for more information: http://www.aspkin.com/forums/merchant-accounts/. Or get all the details now at http://www.auctionstealth. com

9. New Credit Card (virtual credit card to verify eBay)

I recommend simon.com because they've always worked for me. More giftcard options here: http://www.aspkin.com/forums/credit-card-alternatives/

10. Create your new eBay account

Sign up for GMail account (http://mail.google.com/mail/signup). GMail is the best option for an email address. Use your ⊗⊗⊗⊗ name, address and phone number to signup for eBay. Verify your eBay account. Add your giftcard for your seller account. Continue.

11. Create Auctiva Account & Create a Token For Your EBay Account

Auctiva gives you access to free themes, picture hosting, tracking, an Auctiva store, and automatic invoicing of buyers. It's a free service that'll save you time and money on eBay. Sign up, and create a token for each of your eBay accounts. Learn more about Auctivia here: http://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-tools-software/.

12. Add A Merchant or Paypal Account To EBay

Select if you're going to use Paypal or Merchant account. EBay hides the Merchant account option so you'll have to dig around to get to it. Learn more here: http://www.aspkin.com/forums/merchant-accounts/

13. Slowly Start Listing

Just as the title suggest, start your listings slowly. I can't tell you how many items you can list per day because it all depends on what you are listing. If you're listing $1500 laptops, I wouldn't list more then 1-2 a day max. If you're listing High end items, you have to list slower then cheap $20 items. But it also matters on VeRO and other risky factors. Basically list based on what you think eBay would consider high risk. More and more high risk items are requiring Paypal. Use that as an indicator.

So there you have it, a basic guide to setting up a new eBay identity. This is very basic, but an outline of what should be done when creating a new account. Read the forums for more detailed information, or if you want the full 34 page eBay guide go to http://www.auctionstealth. com.

Good luck,
Aspkin

P.S. Again this is not a full blown guide like eBay Stealth, it's a simple outline people have been requesting. I didn't want to date this too much so I suggest reading through the forum links I laid out for up to date details. Also there are many ways to create a ebay or Paypal account, which way is better depends on the person involved. But this is what I do to create my Paypal and eBay accounts.
biggesmalls (09-06-2011), dannyacid1 (11-20-2012), gacecu (11-26-2013), maple sugar (02-25-2014), mjt530 (11-05-2013), parker1608 (06-13-2013), surcerouche (09-17-2009), Valhalla1 (09-10-2020), wkang87 (11-23-2016), yourbookbusiness (08-17-2010)
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 03-24-2008

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 99%
Question Great post. A few questions...

Thank you for this summary. It is great you are so helpful Aspkin. Your forum has helped me and numerous others deal with the evil that is EBAY!!

I have a couple of questions for the master guru to help me deal with my latest EBAY fiasco!!

I just had every one of my accounts linked through Paypal and suspended. 14 of them. One went down and then the others went down within several days. Then a day later, 8 of my wife's accounts went down. Only common link was Paypal.

I never linked any of them. Most were over a year old. I am extremely careful about my accounts, so I know it wasn't cookies, beacons or email shenanigans. They nailed them through Paypal.

Before I had my real address in Paypal, but my "virtual" address(es) in EBAY. Worked great, for a year. Several of my accounts had hundreds of feedbacks. One even got power seller status!! They linked them all and now they are all gone and I have to start over.

All my accounts that are not Paypal based were untouched. On your website, you say they are linking always now. But if I give my box number, which I already used on one of my prior suspended accounts or my home address, I would get nailed again.

You say the following:

"Paypal: Sign up for a Paypal account using a new bank account (ING.com) and giftcard (simon.com). Use the same account details you have for eBay and you're usually good to go. International sellers will have to select other options for their bank account and giftcard."

First, can I just use the same bank account I did before? Or does bank account information get passed to EBAY? I know I need a new credit card, but does the bank account information have to be new?

How do I open up a bank account and Paypal account with the same "virtual address" or account information I have on EBAY? My bank account is going to require proof of my address. And even if they didn't, statements would get mailed to that address. That wouldn't be very good. Or are you just saying that the credit card account has to be the same in Paypal and EBAY (if it does, that is a problem too because the name in Paypal, if real, won't match what is on EBAY)?

So, what address should I use in Paypal (I think it has to be my real address)? And must that address coincide with the address in EBAY? And if so, how do I pull that off if I am required to have a bank account with that address? Finally, if Paypal were to request verification, how would I verify a "virtual" address?
The Following User Says Thank You to ebayaintstupid For This Useful Post:
gulati420 (10-16-2023)
Old 03-24-2008
Administrator
Threadstarter  

You can use the same banking and cc details per ONE eBay and One Paypal account. That would be okay. But not more then this.

The address doesn't have to match what you have for your bank account. EBay & Paypal can not see your banking details at all. All the care about is if its working or not, so don't worry about that. And as for both accounts, it's better to match up information between them whether they're ⊗⊗⊗⊗ or not. Same name, address, phone number, etc.

If Paypal requires verification you are able to change your address to one that is real. There are many services that you can obtain a real address from, and use so use your imagination on this one. But as long as your account is Verified and Confirmed you shouldn't have many problems with paypal.

P.S. I don't want this to be a Q&A thread, no offense; I think most of these questions will work fine in the main eBay suspension category of this forum:

http://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-suspensions/
Old 03-25-2008

Longevity: 93%
Default Another one for you Aspkin

Should I shy away from using ebay or paypal from my home due to the IP address or is there a way to get around this as well. Help please, I am getting sick and tired of eBay and their monopoly. All they do is put you on limited access and you do the items asked and they return with more items. They just keep your money in there and collect interest as theor resolution center does nothing.
Please help me out again about loggin into my accounts. Thanks again in advance. Mike
Old 03-25-2008
Administrator
Threadstarter  

If you're unable to change your Ip address, you can use dial up, aol proxy, VPN, etc.

Read this forum for more info: http://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-tracking/
Old 03-25-2008

Longevity: 95%

Aspkin ..Thank You..you keep giving + giving to all of us... I still think you need a Donate now button on your site..A lot of folks will use it..Anyone watch the show (carry it forward)- person who keeps giving will be blessed + then the next person gives + so on...(just an idea)...
mjt530 (11-09-2013)
Old 03-25-2008

Longevity: 96%

This is an excellent road map. It's exactly how I have been doing things lately. I would only add a reference to Google Checkout, which I consider very useful; however, this guide is basic, and really gives you all you 'need.' Google Checkout falls into the refinements category. One question: What is a Virtual Address?
Old 03-25-2008

Schwuller.. If i may answer..

A Virtual address to me.. An Address you use, but is in air.. You use it for space, to fill in the blanks, it is real, but you may not be living there.. U understand?

Also- I sometimes refer to a VIRTUAL ADDRESS as maybe a Suite at a UPS store.. U dont live there, but you have a residence there...
Old 03-25-2008

Longevity: 94%

Okay I learned something by reading this eBook that I didn't know. That there is a difference between a VERO violation and a trademark violation. So this type of violation: MC019 eBay Listing Removed: Trademark Violation - Unauthorized Item doesn't always mean you will get your account suspended? Is that correct how I read it in the eBook? I had 3 on one account back on Feb. I'm pretty sure the buyer who stole my pics and I reported to eBay reported all my listings. Now I hadn't had any other violations in over a year. So it's now been 8 weeks. If I am going to list again should I take new pics or just use the ones from the listings that were taken down? Sorry if this was discussed.
Old 03-25-2008

HI Becca, they are different in Verbage, but weighted the same, when it comes to giving you the axe...
--Whether its worded Vero or trademark, still involves Franchise rights owners/Trademark Owners..
Therefore the weight of the Violation is the same..
--Me personally, I would reword, redo the listing.. Have you taken the Vero Tutorial? They like that..
Old 03-26-2008

Yes did the vero tutorial. I've still been selling other non-vero items since then.
Old 04-15-2008

Longevity: 96%

ok this might be a really stupid question apskin.. here is where i get lost...

Paypal: Sign up for a Paypal account using a new bank account (ING.com) and giftcard (simon.com). Use the same account details you have for eBay and you're usually good to go. International sellers will have to select other options for their bank account and giftcard.

is that just to throw off ebay and make your accuont more legitimate or can i use paypal to recieve payments or send?? please let me know.. thank you
Old 04-20-2008

Wait, so I opened a new account, and now Ebay wants to verify my paypal account. I dont want to verify because my last ebay account was recently suspended, and it was hooked up to this paypal account. so what should i do?
Old 04-21-2008

Longevity: 92%

Quote:
Commit seppuku.
haha..........

What about using my gf's ebay and paypal account? But I plan on selling the same thing as my 1 banned account. Would that work?
Old 04-22-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspkin View Post

You can use any name your want really. I like to use funny names; I often use names from http://www.namehumor. com/. The only time it matters to use your real name is if you're accepting checks or MO. Then just use a variation of your name.
Ok so you saying you can sign up as a business? Why would you bother creating a business account, considering you still need to provide ebay the name of the person doing the transactions, when you sign up for a business account.
Old 04-29-2008

Longevity: 93%

A tite uncivil, inksale? I would appreciate your absence.
Old 04-30-2008

Paypal: Sign up for a Paypal account using a new bank account (ING.com) and giftcard (simon.com). Use the same account details you have for eBay and you're usually good to go.

I'm in the US and I just checked out ING.com and it asks for SSN in order to open an account. Paypal already has my SSN and I used all ⊗⊗⊗⊗ information to open an account on ebay. As Aspkin said, the information on the bank account should match the personal info on ebay. I could enter all the ⊗⊗⊗⊗ information to open an ING account but how do I go about SSN?

Another question,
10. Create your new eBay account

Sign up for GMail account (http://mail.google.com/mail/signup). GMail is the best option for an email address. Use your ⊗⊗⊗⊗ name, address and phone number to signup for eBay. Verify your eBay account. Add your giftcard for your seller account. Continue.

I wanted to do the ID verify on ebay but if I do it, isn't ebay going to call the ⊗⊗⊗⊗ phone number I entered in my personal details? Or Do you guys know how ebay gets yr ID verified?
Old 05-04-2008

the info on the bank account does not have to match anything as they cant see anything beyond the account number and branch number you give them.
Old 06-09-2008

Hi.this guide is neat, truly. bravo !

Quote:
Paypal: Sign up for a Paypal account using a new bank account (ING.com) and giftcard (simon.com). Use the same account details you have for eBay and you're usually good to go. International sellers will have to select other options for their bank account and giftcard.
Actually I don't live in th US. Do you guys open a new bank account EACH time you create a new paypal account ? So if you make 7 paypal accounts you gotta get 7 new bank account ? is this ever possible...I mean, a REAL bank account, with a national/federal/official bank providing your name, adresse, SSN, everything... Or maybe you can with IGN... though if we're not US residents are we screwed ?!

thanks already for all the info on these forums.

EDIT : ahah nvm, i found the answer on another thread... so i guess the answer is the one i didn't want...YES, i have to have a valid REAL new/existing (different from a previous linked one) bank account for each new paypal account.
It seems harsh though... aspkin or ebayhaveluv, how in hell you guys manage to have like 5 or more paypal accounts o_O ?

I got another question : after how long have you guys had an account suspended due to linking a new fresh ebay account to a old paypal account ?

Last edited by chocobulle; 06-09-2008 at 07:53 PM.
Old 06-13-2008

Longevity: 91%
Default Dear Aspkin

Hey Aspkin:

First off thanks for your replies. you replied sayingh 99% i wont get reinstated. this SUCKS. i was a great ebayer with very high feedback power seller silver status great customers etc. i will be using a new account but using my friends with his info. but dont use my computer? do i need to change any configurations on my computer if i was to work at MY HOME? or do i need to do everything at HIS house? i deleted turbo lister, refreshed cookies and will use firefox from now on. will they continue to charge me for my ebay store while i am suspended?

last question, slowly start listing? i would be selling sports cards. i cant make too much from each one so id have to post like 50 or more at a time. id also open up another ebay store. any advice...thanks so much. i am still very devastated and they are not getting back to me....SAD :(
Old 06-13-2008
Administrator
Threadstarter  

You need to delete your cookies, and change your IP address. Also make sure never to sign back into your old eBay account.

If you're using a friend's account you can list more, but still take it easy.
Old 06-13-2008

Longevity: 91%

Does it matter if the IP range stays the same example: 210.40.xx.xx with the 21.40 staying the same?

Much better if you create a new windows user account and change the name of your PC instead of clearing cookies, Or at least that is what I have come to understand from reading the numerous threads. Askin I thought I read in another thread that you said no need to clear cookies just create a new windows user account?

Last edited by GreenBean; 06-13-2008 at 09:55 PM.