I just got suspended from eBay and I need a game plan. - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion! > eBay Suspensions

eBay Suspensions General issues related to eBay Suspensions. Mostly geared towards eBay.com.

Old 03-27-2008

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 93%
Default I just got suspended from eBay and I need a game plan.

I got suspended from eBay last week for the first time in about 8 years of selling. I'm not sure exactly what to do at this point and was wondering if some of you here with more experience with this could answer a few questions. Let me start by giving you a little background on what happened to me. I hadn't had much trouble with eBay (only minor things) until around 20 months ago when a VeRo member reported some of my auctions to eBay. This was a bogus VeRo member who also reported several other sellers at the same time to remove their competition. I actually traced their address to a college dormitory. I was totally shocked to find out that eBay doesn't go to any lengths to verify their VeRo members or that they even own the intellectual property rights to anything. Anyway, I finally got this straightened out by faxing in a counter-notice and was able to start selling my items again. About two weeks ago I got a message from eBay that several of my listing had been removed. The heading was “MC047 eBay Listing Violation: Copyright Violation - Unauthorized Item” and the rights owner was Microsoft. I wasn't selling anything that had anything to do with Microsoft and wasn't violating anyones copyright. I immediately sent an email to the address that they provided for Microsoft and in a day or two got a reply. The reply stated that my auctions were removed because I used a Microsoft flag logo in the auctions. I was just using the flag logo as an attractive way to show compatibility with Windows. After reading some of the links that they gave me, I realized that I had used them inappropriately. I don't understand why they couldn't have just sent me an email, instead of reporting all of my auctions. I sent out a well thought out message to eBay explaining to them that the auctions were removed because of a misuse of the Windows logo and not because I was selling items that violated Microsoft's copyright. After ten years of selling and spending thousands of dollars in eBay fees, I got a form reply stating that because of the severity of the violation that I am not currently eligible for reinstatement. It also mentioned something about the document that I had faxed in and that I had broken the contract that I wouldn't knowingly sell anything that infringed on someone's copyright. From the way the reply is worded, it's like they don't differentiate between a counter notice and an account reinstatement. Here are my questions.

1.Do you think it's possible that I could get my account reinstated, if I could somehow show them that I was not selling software that violated Microsoft's copyright? Do you think this is possible or just a waste of time.
2.Do you think my Paypal account will be limited over this? I use my Paypal account for other things than just selling on eBay and I don't want to lose it.
3.The suspension says that it's a minimum of 12 months. Do you think it's possible for me to get my account reinstated after the 12 months are up or is this account just screwed.

Thanks in advance for any help.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 03-27-2008

Longevity: 94%

Wow, that is VERY harsh. I didn't know companies would do that over a logo...
How many of your listings were removed? I would have thought a 10 year account would be majorly in the safety zone of suspension.

If they say you have no grounds for reinstatement, then they ususally mean it. Your paypal won't be limited, however, it won't be able to be used with future accounts, as it will link that account back to your suspended account.

You could try for reinstatement after 12 months....it's worth a try. But, it's unlikely you will get anywhere.

I think for you it's time to read up on exactly how to get a new account up and running.
Old 03-27-2008

Longevity: 95%

Hi- if u want a Fast Jump Start- get the newly released Stealth Book-orange box bottom of page-spend this weekend-reading + taking notes-go to a public library Monday-make 1 acct + test the waters....pm me for indiv help-as I see u r a reg supporter + eligible for 1 on 1 assistance...Good Luck
Old 03-27-2008

Longevity: 95%

Btw- I'd call my acct mgr asap....Be careful about your pp chargebacks also in the pipeline...Your 1st reaction will be-make another acct- DO NOT....Read the Stealth Book first...U will then cause the 12 mos to be Lifetime-like me....Repeat Do NOT create another acct-until you have absorbed what we all have exper w/ ebay + you completely are comfortable with it...Making the acct is EASY...its keeping it...
Old 03-27-2008

Longevity: 99%
Post And he should also not create a new account at all...

or use any account until he has exhausted all avenues to get reinstated.

If you are a power seller, call them. There is a telephone number you can find if you poke around the internet and this site too I think. Talking to a real person beats the **** out of the random email responses.

That said, I had a super minor violation over a year ago over Google Checkout. It was a one shot deal and I told them I wouldn't do it again. They made me write a letter I wouldn't, fax them all kinds of information, etc. etc. and they locked down my Paypal account for suspicious activity.

After two months of going back and forth, Paypal released me, but EBAY gave me the same form letter as you.

And now I am a stealth EBAYer because they are *******s.

Try to exhaust your avenues of appeal first though, because one linked account and they won't reinstate you. And if you do decide to start a new account and they link it, whatever you do, don't admit it. They will just think it is a family member. If you admit guilt, they don't have mercy like a court. They just suspend you forever.

But they will gladly take your fees. When I was suspended, the first thing they said was to pay my fees in full before considering me for reinstatement. It is just a trick, but you have no choice.

Good luck.
Old 03-27-2008
Threadstarter  

Default Thanks, I appreciate the quick responses and good advice.

Unfortunately I didn't have power seller status with this account. The account that got suspended was about 5 years old. My old account that I haven't used in years was suspended this week also. I guess they linked the two together. I was hoping they wouldn't, but after what I've read here it was inevitable. I wonder if faxing in a document would get some attention from a real person.
Old 03-27-2008

Activity: 16%

your paypal should be fine at least.
what they do is silly anyway..
Old 03-27-2008

Longevity: 98%

This is how I lost my real eBay account and what made me to go underground. So ridiculous, but the lesson is don't mess with Microsoft on eBay, even with their logos.

1. If I were you, I would do my best to reinstate the account before starting to make anonymous accounts. Write and call EVERYONE, especially the president. This is who reinstated lots of my listings after the regular T&S CSR's ignored my emails and sent me their canned answers.
2. Your Paypal account will be fine if you have already faxed to Paypal your ID, bank statement, supplier info, business info, proof of inventory, copy of SSC etc and if it's not new.
3. Yes, they will reinstate the account in 12 months if they don't link this account to the anonymous accounts that you will create. It's not easy, but possible.
Old 03-28-2008
Administrator

Thanked 4,230 Times in 1,792 Posts
Longevity: 100%

I agree with stepijunk,

1. Keep trying with your account, it seem like you have less then 10% chance of getting it back, but you should still try.
2. Your Paypal account will be fine but like mantisinc says, you can't use it again for eBay or it will link your accounts and suspend you.
3. I think you have a good chance.

It's probably a good idea to start learning how you're going to create your next account. Read the forums, check out eBay Stealth and gain knowledge.

Good luck, pm if you need anything.
Old 03-28-2008
Threadstarter  

Thanks for the info. I think the best thing to do now is to try everything that I can for the next month to get the account reinstated. I think if I could just talk to a person for a few minutes I might be able to get some where. Mailing in letters is probably a good idea also. At least someone has to open the envelope and look at the letter before they through it in the trash. I'm not sure the emails are even read by anyone. Is there a list of phone numbers and addresses on this site or should I just search for them on eBay?

I've had my Papal account for several years and it's a verified premiere, so hopefully it will be OK. I had a little trouble yesterday with people panicking and filing complaints with PayPal, when they saw I was no longer a registered user. I refunded the money for one to get rid of the complaint and shipped out a replacement for the other. These are the only two that I've had a problem with so far. I got really lucky, in that I had just sent out a shipment of orders right before the suspension, otherwise it could have been nightmare.