Is working for your eBay business easier than your previous job? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > General Discussions (Off-Topic) > Everything Else

Everything Else For off-topic conversation. The rules are relaxed in here, but play nice!

Old 04-27-2012

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 69%
Default Is working for your eBay business easier than your previous job?

Well, I'm sure most of us have had other jobs before coming onto eBay.
I wonder if you feel that doing the work for this eBay business is an easier job than your previous job? Or most other jobs?

Hey, at least you get to be in control, not have to take orders from others, set your own working hours and schedule, not have to put up with sucky bosses, colleagues, play stupid office politics, not have to face rush hour traffic, get to be around your kids/dog/cat more (if you have them)... etc. etc.

So, do you feel that eBay is an easier job than most others?
Do any of your friends and relatives envy you for your job?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 04-27-2012

Longevity: 70%

I started selling online in high school, then it took off seriously in college, and has exploded into a 6 figure a year HOBBY. I did not have to work in high school or college and was able to pay for everyday things, as well as my college tuition, rent, and cars all in cash. I now have a regular great paying job, and my online business which i make 10 times as much, and I love both of them.
Old 04-27-2012
Threadstarter  

Yeah, I wish I had known about eBay selling when I was in college.
Old 04-27-2012

I have been selling on eBay just to make extra cash since I was 13, and started selling more regularly when I was 18 (last year), but it never dawned on me until recently that I could be making serious money and eventually never have to work for anyone else ever again. So I only decided to turn it into a business a few weeks ago. I enjoy it too and get a warm feeling inside when I see that I have made another person happy (the buyer).

I currently have an okay-ish paying job just as a safety net, that pays enough to let me survive, if for some reason my eBay business were to come to a halt. It pays nowhere near as much as I have been making on eBay, but it at least ensures that I have something to fall back on, while my eBay earnings go into my savings. In fact my boss is fine with me packing my orders during work hours (since it is a pretty flexible job), so it is not so bad.

Last edited by Elijah; 04-27-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-27-2012
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijah View Post
In fact my boss is fine with me packing my orders during work hours (since it is a pretty flexible job), so it is not so bad.
Wow, you're lucky!
Sounds like you got a nice boss and quite a good job.
Old 04-27-2012
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijah View Post
In fact my boss is fine with me packing my orders during work hours (since it is a pretty flexible job), so it is not so bad.
Same here.

My boss is fine with that stuff.

'Cos it's me. LOL.

I'm in a lucky position where I can ebay & work at the same time.

Gawd, is that sad or what.

Little separation between the two .
Old 04-28-2012

I just think of it as me working towards my future. I do not think of it as sad at all; my services may no longer be required by my boss one day, but I will continue selling on eBay many years after that. And by that time I will have built up a good amount in the bank, so that I can continue selling on eBay indefinitely and not ever have to worry about money.

I will not be like the millions of unemployed in the UK, living from hand to mouth.

Last edited by Elijah; 04-28-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old 04-28-2012
Threadstarter  

I surprised some of you, esp. GB are doing eBay part-time.
I got the impression that most here are running their eBay business full-time with no other job.
Old 04-30-2012
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts
Longevity: 78%

I had a full-time job before going to ebay part-time. Was making $80k a year but because of office politics, I decided to quit my job and go back to school for my degree. Lucky for me my wife works full time job that pays well enough for us to survive and then some, but for some reason I still like to make my own cash so I sell on ebay part-time.

When I get my degree and get another full-time job I probably won't be selling, most likely just buying.

Then the question will be, what the heck do I do with all those stealth accounts? lol
Old 04-30-2012

i'm thinking about doing ebay as a business..but am not sure what to sell or venture in..right now it's part time for me too
Old 04-30-2012
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleTea View Post
I surprised some of you, esp. GB are doing eBay part-time.
I got the impression that most here are running their eBay business full-time with no other job.
Who said that?

I work at least 18 hours a day.

Nothing is 'part-time' in my life.

Except sleep.
Old 04-30-2012

hahha greenbean ur funny
Old 04-30-2012

If you want to make some quick cash and nothing huge then yes it is easy and very simple and it is worth it.... But if you want to make some really good money with it. Its just like a job. Many people don't realize how much time you have to put into this to make a good living from it.
Old 04-30-2012

Longevity: 84%

I make pretty good money on ebay and spend less than an hour a day, really more like a few minutes a day, it's pretty easy.
The Following User Says Thank You to jbluntz For This Useful Post:
GreenGhost (05-01-2012)
Old 04-30-2012
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

Before this, I had a high paying job, but I worked 10-14 hours a day and many weekends and it was like being in a pressure cooker. Being responsible for the workflow for 300+ people is not an easy job.

So, it's not even close. This is MUCH easier. But I also write for a couple of sites and do other things as well. I'm only happy when I'm busy. Not AS BUSY as on my previous job, but I couldn't only work 3-4 hours a day. It's just not in my DNA.
Old 04-30-2012

Longevity: 75%

I use to be a mechanic apprentice for 2 and a half years few years back i was doing a bit of part time selling on feebay thats until i got sacked and i never completed my course and i did not bother to look for another job and thats when i went in to full time selling online i still fix cars private jobs for that extra money when i look back i don't regret getting sacked im happy on what im doing now.

Pm me if want your car fixed lol
Old 04-30-2012
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 5%
Longevity: 77%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011trapstar View Post
I use to be a mechanic apprentice for 2 and a half years few years back i was doing a bit of part time selling on feebay thats until i got sacked and i never completed my course and i did not bother to look for another job and thats when i went in to full time selling online i still fix cars private jobs for that extra money when i look back i don't regret getting sacked im happy on what im doing now.

I need my car fixed, how much do you charge for shipping, do I get a discount for multiple cars?
Old 04-30-2012
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011trapstar View Post

Does it come with HDMI?
Old 04-30-2012
Executive [VIP]

I had a stressful full time job. Then the stress activated a auto immune disease attacking my brain. After several months in hospital and a little less brain (removed) I started it to help pay my bills. Then my insurance dropped me and it became full time to cover medical costs. It took couple of years to have income surpass my medical bills. Now I am expanding constantly to try an make money for my daughter as I am terminal. I am a single father and must create a nest egg for her...
Old 04-30-2012
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by marysman78 View Post
I had a full-time job before going to ebay part-time. Was making $80k a year but because of office politics, I decided to quit my job and go back to school for my degree. Lucky for me my wife works full time job that pays well enough for us to survive and then some, but for some reason I still like to make my own cash so I sell on ebay part-time.

When I get my degree and get another full-time job I probably won't be selling, most likely just buying.

Then the question will be, what the heck do I do with all those stealth accounts? lol
Have you thought that when you "get another full-time job", its very likely gonna have office politics that you hate again?
As long as you work with people, there's this **** politics going on.
People who can stay in the game either know how to play it, or can put up being played by others.
For people who do not want to play the game nor be played, like me, the only option is to get out of the "job system" and work for myself.

Well of course, some jobs and some companies are less intense than others. Maybe you can handle mild politics, but I have zero interest to be even near this nonsense.
Anyway, keep your stealth accounts in case you need to get out of the job and back into eBay selling again!
Always good to keep it as a second income going too.
Old 04-30-2012
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts

The Politics I was dealing with was I had no Degree and could not move up or get higher pay for my services. I can handle myself in any job or position but when your not allowed to move up or get more for what your worth it's not worth it.

As of right now the field I am going into is booming and the pay with a degree is extremely high. As it stands, I already have a job offer with the local Community College District offices, start pay $85,000/year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleTea View Post
Have you thought that when you "get another full-time job", its very likely gonna have office politics that you hate again?
As long as you work with people, there's this **** politics going on.
People who can stay in the game either know how to play it, or can put up being played by others.
For people who do not want to play the game nor be played, like me, the only option is to get out of the "job system" and work for myself.

Well of course, some jobs and some companies are less intense than others. Maybe you can handle mild politics, but I have zero interest to be even near this nonsense.
Anyway, keep your stealth accounts in case you need to get out of the job and back into eBay selling again!
Always good to keep it as a second income going too.
Old 05-01-2012

Longevity: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by marysman78 View Post
Community College District offices, start pay $85,000/year.
take it man take it