Removing my CC during a dispute - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Old 04-04-2008

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 94%
Default Removing my CC during a dispute

So I sold a 5,100 item on ebay. After sending him the item, the buyer has opened a dispute and claiming that the item was "significantly not as described". Obviously he's lying, despite my best effort to try and straighten everything out he still went ahead and opened the dispute and told me he's going to do a charge back through his CC. I have already threatened him with calling the police. Anyways, my cc is on the Paypal account and the account is already showing a -5,100. How can I remove my CC? I seriously don't want to be out of 5k. I will literally go to California and show up on this guy's door...he's gonna wonder why a big 6'7 guy is doing on his doorstep. Any help is appreciated, even when I show Paypal the tracking number they'll probably side with the buyer...
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 04-04-2008
Banned

Longevity: 95%

While your in California swing by the Ebay/Paypal offices. I'll spring for the baseball bat.:D
Old 04-04-2008
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 96%

Call your credit card company NOW and cancel your card. Tell them someone might be using it without your authorization and request it to be blocked and have them issue you a new one.
Old 04-04-2008
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustme View Post
Call your credit card company NOW and cancel your card. Tell them someone might be using it without your authorization and request it to be blocked and have them issue you a new one.
Cancel?

I have 3 different CC's two of them from Chase. The one on the account is from chase but I remember having canceled one back in November, if the canceled cc is the one in the paypal account, do I have anything to worry about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycore View Post
While your in California swing by the Ebay/Paypal offices. I'll spring for the baseball bat.:D
lol...
Old 04-04-2008

Longevity: 99%
Default Just to put you at ease...

I would have to have more specifics about the item, but Paypal is particularly interested in three things in this instance.

1. Is the item not as described in a significant way?

2. Is there a tracking number?

3. Did the buyer make a reasonable attempt to return the item.

Now, on 1, did the buyer lie? Did he say he bought a brand new Lexus from you and you delivered him a scale model? Or did he say the color isn't what he wanted?

With 2 on your side, you are 90% of the way to Paypal's heart. If you can verify you shipped SOMETHING, especially if by the time they resolve the dispute, it was delivered, then Paypal will most often rule in the seller's favor unless the buyer can demonstrate their complaint clearly. That takes a bunch, photos, etc. etc.

If you negotiated in good faith to take the item back less shipping expenses and explain that the item was not significantly different from what was in the listing and explain this, I think they rule for you.

Why? I had the same problem. Woman bought a jacket from me. Got it in 2 days, thanked me, said she loved it. Three day's later, buyer's remorse, wants her money back (makes up a stupid excuse). Item is no longer new, she files the same ("item significantly not as described") against me. This was a $200 jacket. I worked with her to get it back etc. and she was a real snot wanting all her money back and me to pay the shipping. So I let Paypal rule. They said the jacket was as described even though they never saw it.

If the buyer has the item, and has made no effort to return it, then there is no beef. What you have to really worry about is if you can't produce a tracking number. That always goes in the buyer's favor.

The cancel the credit card idea is not a bad one, to prevent paypal from nailing that account. But make sure you also don't have enough in the account to refund when they make their ruling. If there are insufficient funds, paypal may rule in the buyer's favor but they just tell them, sorry, no money. I always keep my account drained.

Paypal will do a reasonable job assessing the problem. If you have evidence submit it. If you have more evidence than they will let you enter, send it to resolution@paypal.com referencing the dispute number.

Remember, the fact you are 6'7", or even 6'6 1/2" does not make you right. It only makes you 6'7". Assault charges are far worse than even losing 5K. And the lawyer and police won't care about something that insignificant as they bill you and put you in a cage. Bunk not long enough? Too bad. Finally, if the guy has a gun, all you are is a bigger target.

It is stressful. Some buyers are horribly unfair and major pricks. But don't make it worse. You can still sue if need be.
Old 04-04-2008
Threadstarter  

thanks for all the info and the part of me visiting him was a joke. as for paypal, I probably don't have 5k in my bank account and I have already called my bank to block any charges from paypal. what will happen if the buyer does a charge back through his cc company? he's already sending the computer back to me...hopefully it's still in one piece. if the computer does arrive then I'm going to end up owing him, even though I clearly stated in the auction that I wouldn't accept returns after 14 days(pretty reasonable to me). I'm going to transfer 2k into the account if the computer is returned to me in good shape. that means I'll owe him ~3k, will I end up owing him or Paypal? this is the problem with selling. I delivered on my part, but the buyer didn't. As for the item, it was exactly as stated, no scamming involved, the buyer simply didn't want it any more. thanks for any input guys, i'm off to buy some tylenol...:(

in all reality, it's funny, I'm trying to make an honest living(the item I sold required some difficult work) while there's sellers that sell illegal items(vero, ⊗⊗⊗⊗) and they have an easier time with buyers. then again, everything in this world isn't fair.
Old 04-04-2008
Administrator

Thanked 4,228 Times in 1,792 Posts
Activity: 4%
Longevity: 100%

Yes, Cancel your CC Now and say you lost it! ASAP!

Let Paypal deal with the balance..

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwhey View Post
So I sold a 5,100 item on ebay. After sending him the item, the buyer has opened a dispute and claiming that the item was "significantly not as described". Obviously he's lying, despite my best effort to try and straighten everything out he still went ahead and opened the dispute and told me he's going to do a charge back through his CC. I have already threatened him with calling the police. Anyways, my cc is on the Paypal account and the account is already showing a -5,100. How can I remove my CC? I seriously don't want to be out of 5k. I will literally go to California and show up on this guy's door...he's gonna wonder why a big 6'7 guy is doing on his doorstep. Any help is appreciated, even when I show Paypal the tracking number they'll probably side with the buyer...
Old 04-04-2008
Administrator

Thanked 4,228 Times in 1,792 Posts
Activity: 4%
Longevity: 100%

If the buyer files a chargeback, Paypal won't fight it for the most part, unless you had tracking, etc. Your Paypal account balance will stay negative until you pay it by either your credit card or bank account attached to the account. If you keep the Paypal account negative the buyer will not be refunded and the buyer loses out. If you have your SS# on the account, Paypal will contact a credit agency to get the money, but if not then you're fine. Just some things to think about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwhey View Post
thanks for all the info and the part of me visiting him was a joke. as for paypal, I probably don't have 5k in my bank account and I have already called my bank to block any charges from paypal. what will happen if the buyer does a charge back through his cc company? he's already sending the computer back to me...hopefully it's still in one piece. if the computer does arrive then I'm going to end up owing him, even though I clearly stated in the auction that I wouldn't accept returns after 14 days(pretty reasonable to me). I'm going to transfer 2k into the account if the computer is returned to me in good shape. that means I'll owe him ~3k, will I end up owing him or Paypal? this is the problem with selling. I delivered on my part, but the buyer didn't. As for the item, it was exactly as stated, no scamming involved, the buyer simply didn't want it any more. thanks for any input guys, i'm off to buy some tylenol...:(

in all reality, it's funny, I'm trying to make an honest living(the item I sold required some difficult work) while there's sellers that sell illegal items(vero, ⊗⊗⊗⊗) and they have an easier time with buyers. then again, everything in this world isn't fair.
Old 04-05-2008
Executive [VIP]

If you cancel your credit card, PayPal won't be able to charge you for the $5000. That's the only way. By now you should have canceled it.
Old 04-05-2008
Executive [VIP]

I would still cancel your credit card. Even if you already told your bank to block charges from PayPal. I did that once (not with PayPal, but another merchant) and I ended up being debited anyways ...because the employee at the bank forgot to put the block in the system (though he said he did). I ended up fighting the chargeback for 2 months.
Old 04-11-2008
Banned

Close everything associated with the paypal account. Paypal will roll over on you as son as he calls his credit card company, regardless of signature confirmation or any other info you can provide. Walk away, and then contact paypal by registered letter, that you think someone stole your identity to open a paypal account, to preempt any bill collection.
Old 04-11-2008

Longevity: 93%

If he cancels his cc account and then opens a new ppaypal account under same IP will he have any issues, provided he did not enter his SS#.
Old 04-11-2008
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 23%

In the event there was a ss# involved, is it reported on credit report, and that's it? Can he or paypal sue?