Buyer trying to force return after trying item on then "refusing" - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 06-23-2012

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 68%
Default Buyer trying to force return after trying item on then "refusing"

I have searched for this topic all over google and have not found a similar situation.

I sold a cheap item of clothing (less than $10 including free shipping with tracking). I provided the brand's size as well as every possible measurements. I said no returns (after fees, USPS got more than I did). Soon after deliver (the tracking states it was "delivered), I received an email inquiring how to return the item because the fit was a problem. Weeks later, a package arrives in the mail marked "refused." It is the same package I sent out, only ripped open and resealed. Now the buyer is telling me he returned it and wants to know when he will get a return.

I thought eBay required a tracking number for returns; tracking has no proof the item ever left the buyer's house after it was received.

I have not yet even opened the package because I have read this is considered mail fraud (opening a package, then writing "refused" and dropping it off at a post office to save on return shipping), so I have no idea what condition the item is in.

What should I do? I hate to be forced into giving a return, but I feel that if I were, I would only refund the price minus actual shipping (since unlike any other return, this buyer did not feel they had to pay return shipping). The buyer already left bad feedback, and based on the way they have handled communication so far, I doubt they will revise it one way or another.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 06-24-2012
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,536 Times in 2,190 Posts
Activity: 71%
Longevity: 91%

Report him to the postal inspector, don't open the parcel.
And don't do anything further... wait for what he's about to do next. Ignore him for now.

Post in here about what he does next.
Old 06-24-2012

Longevity: 86%

if you dont want neg feedback just refund them and resell, not much u can do
Old 06-24-2012
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 73%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dburnside View Post
if you dont want neg feedback just refund them and resell, not much u can do
---->The buyer already left bad feedback.

Quote:
Report him to the postal inspector, don't open the parcel.
I would highly doubt they would do much for such a low value item (i.e $10) & where no significant losses,damages or 'provable' fraud were incurred. They have thousands of cases to deal with & they would not expend investigative resources on a $10 item issue.

----
----

I would have refunded the buyer inc p&p given the low value of the item & moved on from this - folks like this are ten a penny. You don't want to get dragged down to their level.

If you want to try to reverse the adverse feedback, you can call the buyer upon refunding their loss & apologise for the inconvenience to them (be nice, polite, friendly & apologetic - your are using your customer skills here!). Don't mention the fact that you've received your item back or the fact that you've seen through their deception here (i.e damaged package opened & then resealed) - leave this out of the equation.

This surprise call might make them reconsider their bad feedback & make them feel bad/guilty at the way they've handled things with you upto this point.

A few days after this call, you can message them politely requesting they consider revision of this bad feedback.

Either way, move on from this. These things happen.

Last edited by SUVE; 06-24-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-24-2012
Banned

Thanked 2,029 Times in 1,356 Posts
Longevity: 87%

Unreal.

So now we have become a fitting center for these people.

Did you include the measurements of the clothing item in the listing?

Someone just used you to try something on and expect you to lose money because they were too stupid to ask the exact sizes before they bid.

I would refund and next time you post a clothing item add in measurements from every direction and note that you do not accept returns if the item does not fit because you have the measurements in the listing.
Old 06-24-2012

Longevity: 77%

don't refund. they have zero proof they returned it and they already left you a neg, one neg isn't going to kill you.
Old 06-24-2012
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalalala View Post
I have searched for this topic all over google and have not found a similar situation.

What should I do? I hate to be forced into giving a return, but I feel that if I were, I would only refund the price minus actual shipping (since unlike any other return, this buyer did not feel they had to pay return shipping). The buyer already left bad feedback, and based on the way they have handled communication so far, I doubt they will revise it one way or another.
Clarify a couple of points....

Where do you say YOU attempted to contact the buyer to resolve anything?

has this buyer left YOU bad feedback or someone else?

Is your world going to collapse for a $10 refund to get rid of a buyer who clearly has issues?

Sometimes we have to take rubbish like this to garner more sales.
Old 06-24-2012

Longevity: 71%

I know it is the principle of the matter, but for $10 I would have refunded if I wanted the account. However, now that he already left the neg, screw him. Email telling him you will refund if he removes the negative first, he probably won't go for it, but at least you tried.
Old 06-24-2012
Banned

Thanked 2,029 Times in 1,356 Posts
Longevity: 87%

What was the negative for?

You did your part and they used you for a rental company to see if it fitted or not.

I would do as above and ask them to remove the negative in exchange for the refund since it is only 10.00.

It is not your fault it did not fit.