I need to make an important descision. I need your help/advice - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > General Discussions (Off-Topic) > Everything Else

Everything Else For off-topic conversation. The rules are relaxed in here, but play nice!

Old 06-25-2012

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 78%
Default I need to make an important descision. I need your help/advice

Ok so here is my problem. Both of my parents never went to college. Even though they became very successful with the amount of education they got they can't help me that much with this one. This is something i'd rather not ask my friends, and my school counselors don't care much about me or my future either. I'd probably get more information from a random person on a street than from any one of my college counselors. I had no idea where else to ask so i came to the trusty aspkin forum to ask for your opinions/advice since i know there are some very intelligent people here.

Anyways here is my problem.... This will be my second year in my community college. Which means i basically have to make up my mind on what i want to do within a year with my life before i transfer to a university. Currently i am majoring in business. Which is something i always had an interest for since i was a little kid. I started my business life as a 14 year old. And i have found out that i just might have the right skills to become really successful one day which makes me interested in this major so much more.I have yet to figure out which path in business i want to take. Which makes it really hard for me to pick on what i want to do.

In addition to that.... i also have an interest in law. And once again i have no idea where i want to take as my route with law. I would love to be a lawyer but i wouldn't mind doing other things involved with the law. The reason i want to do this is because i am a good speaker. I have great social skills and i have always been the kid who gets his way out of trouble and gets what he wants by talking. Since i was a little kid i have always talked my way out of stuff. I brought a knife to school in 4th grade. Fell out of my pocket in front of my teacher and i talked my way out of it without getting in any trouble. I have faced 2 recommendations for expulsion in middle school. I have also talked my way out of them. In high school i have graduated with a .37 GPA. I was never in class, but i was ALWAYS in school. I roamed the halls, went to different classes, hung out in the office, hung out in the counseling office, and never got in trouble. Every teacher and even the principle knew what i was doing. I been able to achieve this by socializing and making relationships with people on a personal basis. Most people would not be proud to say this but i am. I have cheated my whole way school from 7th to 12th grade. I had people doing homework for me, and i had people doing my tests and everything else. I am not proud of this but other than having a talent in socializing and getting the things i want by convincing people, i am a great liar. This is exactly why i want to be a lawyer.

Sorry for bragging about myself if it sounded like it but to some all of this up is basically i cannot decide on which route to take. Law or business. I have a huge interest for business and my social skills would definitely help me out. But then again i love arguing and being a great liar that i am would definitely help me out in trying to become a lawyer. To be honest i am seriously interested in both of these majors equally. I do not want to regret my decision in the future. I seriously wish i could be both, a business man and a lawyer at the same time. I love both of these majors and i would love to spend the rest of my life having a job in any part of these fields. But i seriously do not know what to do. Its like, if i go business im going to be mad that i cant study law and work for the law someday. And if i go law im going to be mad and regret that i did not do something with business.

I feel like i just wrote the dumbest thing ever but i seriously do not know what to do or who to ask for advice. If there is anything you guys could say to help me in any way, shape, or form please do so.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 06-25-2012
Threadstarter  

Can this please be moved to "Everything Else". I have no idea why i posted this in subscribers section.
Old 06-25-2012

Longevity: 89%

I would say law. Because with the direction this country/world is headed the need for lawyers will increase, and with business in general a decrease just wait till after the election of the animal in the white house. Just my thoughts.
The Following User Says Thank You to bansheezone For This Useful Post:
LoopHole (06-28-2012)
Old 06-26-2012
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,021 Times in 709 Posts
Longevity: 75%

For me, start with law. The political crooks will need them pretty soon, so its good to have that out of the way.

After that, go with business. Never hurts to have that notch under your belt and you will be able to combine both in the long run.

Pursue them both and become a master
The Following User Says Thank You to BigCJ For This Useful Post:
LoopHole (06-28-2012)
Old 06-26-2012
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,342 Times in 961 Posts
Activity: 9%
Longevity: 76%

Considering what I have seen you post on this forum in the past, go into law because you will be needing to learn how to defend yourself.
The Following User Says Thank You to unkown5454 For This Useful Post:
LoopHole (06-28-2012)
Old 06-26-2012
Banned

Thanked 2,029 Times in 1,356 Posts
Longevity: 87%

I have a family members who is an attorney and a business owner.

She does very well.

She went to college to be a teacher and felt that her career would be better off in a court room then in a class room.

She did well enough to start a small business and it flourish for many years. The economy has hurt her over the last couple of years but she is also looking forward to the economy picking back up next year and is holding tons of money back to invest and grow.

With that being said, kill two birds with one stone.

Law can always be used in anything you do and the lord knows we will need more lawyers who are willing to actually work instead of sitting in front of a row of law books and do nothing.

I think you can do both successfully. Go for it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandy D For This Useful Post:
LoopHole (06-28-2012)
Old 06-26-2012
Subscribed [VIP]

Longevity: 72%

First of all, how do you meet requirements for admission of law and finance schools? Since you mention that you are studying in a community college, you will have to apply to a university. So I think first you can apply for both areas and from there, you may choose based on the ranking of schools too. For example, if you get admission into a school with ranking 10th in finance and a school with ranking 200th in law, it's better to go with finance...
With business, since you have a good speaking and business skills, I think marketing or finance (especially banking investment) are good areas because you will have to deal with people and use management skills a lot.
With your speaking skills, I think working in business area makes you more outstanding (therefore more successful) than working in laws because all lawyers are good speakers but not all business people are good speakers.
Also, I think studying laws is much harder and requires much more work than business. I think this is important because besides your speaking skills, you will need a good knowledge/GPA/school too. Anything more difficult is harder to get higher score.

Last edited by Bingo; 06-26-2012 at 04:36 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
LoopHole (06-28-2012)
Old 06-26-2012
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,909 Times in 8,202 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

Go for law - once set, if you dont like it...can bridge to finance.
The Following User Says Thank You to rsot For This Useful Post:
LoopHole (06-28-2012)
Old 06-26-2012

Longevity: 69%

go for law definetely
The Following User Says Thank You to moneyhustler88 For This Useful Post:
LoopHole (06-28-2012)
Old 06-26-2012

Longevity: 73%

In Focus - Not Where They Hoped They'd Be - The Atlantic

Just say no!

Although it is a great excuse for four years of partying!

Do it!
The Following User Says Thank You to FizzyFish For This Useful Post:
LoopHole (06-28-2012)
Old 06-26-2012
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,909 Times in 8,202 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

Hmm sounds like you should go for Law -> specialize in Corporate Law or maybe Intellectual property infringement (!). If you feel unsatisfied, you just go into the Notary business and do night/parttime classes in business/finance.

All the best. If you decide to go this route, know this: I lay rights to 10% of your earnings...maybe 5% if you are good about it ha
Old 06-28-2012
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkown5454 View Post
Considering what I have seen you post on this forum in the past, go into law because you will be needing to learn how to defend yourself.
Stop scaring me!
Old 06-28-2012
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy D View Post
I have a family members who is an attorney and a business owner.

She does very well.

She went to college to be a teacher and felt that her career would be better off in a court room then in a class room.

She did well enough to start a small business and it flourish for many years. The economy has hurt her over the last couple of years but she is also looking forward to the economy picking back up next year and is holding tons of money back to invest and grow.

With that being said, kill two birds with one stone.

Law can always be used in anything you do and the lord knows we will need more lawyers who are willing to actually work instead of sitting in front of a row of law books and do nothing.

I think you can do both successfully. Go for it.
That is one thing that confused me. How would i be able to work on both of these majors at the same time? Or would i have to finish one major then go into the next one?
Old 06-28-2012
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
Go for law - once set, if you dont like it...can bridge to finance.
How can i bridge? That is one thing that has always confused me. I've always heard people say im doing this but this i am working on a second major in the mean time. How is this possible? Are they taking like 10 classes a semester?
Old 06-28-2012
Executive [VIP]

People do double majors all the time. If there are two that care closely related and have similar courses required, you can kill them both at once. If not, then you may have to focus on them separately.
Old 06-28-2012
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyFish View Post
In Focus - Not Where They Hoped They'd Be - The Atlantic

Just say no!

Although it is a great excuse for four years of partying!

Do it!
I just turned 20 and i am getting tired of the party life already. I cannot tell you how much i want to rip my hair out for not passing on all of these house parties that i went to. Yes, it was fun getting drunk, getting with girls here and there. But the $$$ i've past up on by going to these parties was ABSOLUTELY NOT worth it.
Old 06-28-2012
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
Hmm sounds like you should go for Law -> specialize in Corporate Law or maybe Intellectual property infringement (!). If you feel unsatisfied, you just go into the Notary business and do night/parttime classes in business/finance.

All the best. If you decide to go this route, know this: I lay rights to 10% of your earnings...maybe 5% if you are good about it ha
hahahaha i will make sure i give you your share rsot

And that is one thing that i would love to do. Something with the law. I know this is a stupid question, but where can i search and find all of the majors out there possible in law/business?
Old 06-28-2012
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopHole View Post
Yes, it was fun getting drunk, getting with girls here and there. But the $$$ i've past up on by going to these parties was ABSOLUTELY NOT worth it.
It's actually really good that you are realizing this much sooner than most. It seems like most people these days don't realize this fact until they are about 30 years old. Brutal rude awakening.
Old 06-28-2012
Threadstarter  

Quote:
People do double majors all the time. If there are two that care closely related and have similar courses required, you can kill them both at once. If not, then you may have to focus on them separately.
Were you serious about ur 1st post? Cuz u really did kinda scare me. And yes! i would love to do a double major. That is one thing i need to talk about with an advisor. The thing is there is none in my counseling office at the community college that i go to that care about any of the students. The help/advice they give you is worthless. I need a real advisor to help me, since i will be transferring schools i need to make sure all of my classes/credits i get here transfer to that school and all this other BS..... I hate college for this exact reason man... so confusing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!
Old 06-28-2012
Threadstarter  

Quote:
It's actually really good that you are realizing this much sooner than most. It seems like most people these days don't realize this fact until they are about 30 years old. Brutal rude awakening.

I am very happy that i realized this early on. But i am pretty mad i did not realize this last year. I've basically wasted a whole year partying which was not that great. I thought i would get to college and experience parties like they have in movies. Never happened. I can honestly say i've only went to 2-3 parties that were like those amazing movie parties. The other 300 or whatever i went to were a waste of time. The only good part was getting with girls. And that wasn't even so great either, most of the time i was drunk and dont even remember the things i did with them.... In that 365 days i could have been setting up many accounts that by now they would be 500+ positive fb..... u don't even know how badly i want to kick my self in the face....
Old 06-28-2012
Executive [VIP]

If you are still an undergrad just trying to get your AA, don't worry too much yet. Just knock out the basic nonsense. Then finish it off with electives that interest you. If you want to do business or law, then take business and law related electives. There are a ton of them you can take. The best thing to do is find the university you want to go to, look at the program you want and they will list all of the required courses for at least a Bachelor's. You can then see if those are offered at your community college and take them as electives to get a head start on your Bachelor's program. Counselor's at a community college just help you get to your AA/AS really, and even then, all they really know is the general education crap that every student has to take. Get that knocked out then when you get to a university, get real help from a real counselor who understands BA/BS programs and on into law or whatever you want.
The Following User Says Thank You to unkown5454 For This Useful Post:
LoopHole (07-02-2012)
Old 06-28-2012
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts

@Loophole, I waited till I was almost 28 yrs of age to decide to go back to school. At first I felt like I was never going to finish....1 more year for my B.S.
The Following User Says Thank You to MM78 For This Useful Post:
LoopHole (07-02-2012)