Let's create next eBay fad -- programmers contact me - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > General Discussions (Off-Topic) > Everything Else

Everything Else For off-topic conversation. The rules are relaxed in here, but play nice!

Old 04-11-2008

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 93%
Default Let's create next eBay fad -- programmers contact me

I need only programmers to respond to me. No other clutter please.

C++ is the base of it all. We could use ASP if we go with Microsoft technology, or PHP if we go Linux direction. Doesn't matter.

I want to start from scratch and build something. First build a front end, and next build a back end.

The least we can do really is try things out.

PM me with your MSN messenger address. If you don't use MSN get it.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 04-11-2008

Longevity: 94%

Maybe we could put my newly aquired domain name bidmad.com to use
Old 04-11-2008
Subscribed [VIP]

The secret of online success is not about programming, but it's 99% advertising and marketing. Programmers are a dollar per dozen, there are tens of millions of programmers, they are cheap in India, some will work for peanuts(no pun intended), but there are only very few genius promoters and marketers in this world. All the hard work by programmers can go down the drain without getting noticed, but all it takes is a wise promoter with clever publicity ideas and the know how make a site or business successful.

There are already too many auction sites trying to mimick ebay but none comes close; they just don't know what it takes to survive online, never mind make it popular.

If you want to start an auction site and make it successful, instead of looking for programmers, first start looking for promoters, people with publicity tricks up their sleeves. Round up millions of active ebay sellers and ex-sellers, get them become partners in the business, then you will have a better chance at it.
Old 04-11-2008
Threadstarter  

Need a platform first, then can promote it.

Google was never promoted by the way. It became popular because of the platform. And the name of course.

Currently there are some auction platforms, but none are as good as eBay. Go to those alternative auction sites, and you will find how hard it is to use them. THUS the need for programmers. Without programmers there will be nothing to promote or sell. The only reason programmers are cheap is because they are nerds and easily get taken advantage of. Learning the game can fix that.

Another need for a platform is freedom. A leased platform will get more expensive with use, and won't be flexible enough to compete with eBay.

This job isn't as hard as it sounds. We make a database and then make a front end to display that database, one bit at a time. If you go to eBay right now, most all features can be though of and show as boxes. Front end essentially is bunch of boxes that can be tackled one at a time.
Old 04-11-2008

The only decent auction platform available is Ilance, and still that is far to basic for large scale use.
Old 04-11-2008
Subscribed [VIP]

Google was promoted through free media publicity like so many other monsters in their infancy, when Google was small and not widely known, it was then widely promoted by cnet.com and few other other major channels. Then stepped in the venture capitalists, then those small guys became monsters.

Venture capitalists are the people really made those once small nobodies into monsters, like: Microsoft, ebay, Yahoo, Google, Amazon, Dell .... Venture capitalists and their publicity and marketing stuntmans are secret to success of these companies.

Ebay platform sucks big time compared to TaoBao.com in China, but because ebay has been heavyly promoted through free and paid publicty and advertising worldwide, it is well accepted as the top aucton site in the world market, but in China, ebay gets its ass kicked, not one time, but second time now.

More people trade on TaoBao.com than entire ebay world member population, it has many times more in number of listings, and free escrow service for item of any value - strong protection for buyers and sellers.

Alibaba.com owns TaoBao.com, this parent company has more cash capital than ebay, and with access to large base of low cost IT human resources in China, it is only a matter of time an English version taobao available to English speaking markets like USA.

Alibaba.com is world's top B2B site right now; it is available in English and opens to world markets.
Old 04-11-2008

Suspended2008, I'm really starting to think you work in some way for taobao lol! I can't way till they release a translated version of the website! Do you know when they'll release the north american version of their website?

Last edited by topazcorp; 04-11-2008 at 11:37 PM.
Old 04-12-2008

A translated version would be just awesome, as I said in the other thread. I'd certainly be a regular there is this was the case.
Old 04-12-2008
Executive [VIP]

Google would kill ebay if they created Gbay or googlebay or somthing like that.
lower fee's, better service, they certainly have the money and brains

as outlined, all the alternative auction sites dont come close to ebay. there layout is practically CRAP thus = fail to win a large amount of users.

And yes lack of promotion as well.
Old 04-12-2008

What do you guys think is stopping from google going into the auction market?
To me it just seems like an opportunity waiting to be taken.
Old 04-12-2008

I think ebay has just built a huge client base, which makes it invincible in the online market place. However this is declining and all these unhappy ebay clients will move shop once a big player comes into the online auction field
Old 04-12-2008
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscan View Post
as outlined, all the alternative auction sites dont come close to ebay. there layout is practically CRAP thus = fail to win a large amount of users.

Codegear Delphi for PHP seems like a nice start. Then there is also Codegear 3rdrail for Ruby on Rails.

And if not that, then there is MS Dev Studio.

I'm definately making a new platform for auction sites.

Thus far I had 0 replies, someone should join me. It won't take long, I promise you. It's as easy as 1 2 3, really.
Old 04-12-2008
Threadstarter  

By the way, I doubt a big player will come and challenge eBay. For the following reasons;

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...lindex=1&hl=en
Old 04-12-2008

Extension, I'm sorry but I can't buy that it's as easy as 1,2,3. If that was the case, we wouldn't be talking about this now.
Old 04-12-2008
Subscribed [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by extension View Post
By the way, I doubt a big player will come and challenge eBay.

It is the other way around, ebay had challenged TaoBao.com in China and ebay lost big time. Ebay had already lost the first time, got its ass kicked out of China, recently ebay paid a dear sum to tom.com(own by one of the richest businessmen in the world), hoped that it would succeed with a second try, nop, getting it ass kicked again. Hopeless. It will be matter of time TaoBao makes sites in English and other language versions and become available in the same markets as ebay,all those nasty SOBs at ebay will have to pack up and go home.

Ebay can only pick on poor little seller guys and ladies, illegally forcing them to use paypal, but it will be no match against taobao when it comes to America!!! Watch for English version of taobao.com soon!!
Old 04-12-2008

Suspended, I can just pray that what you say is right. Will be an online dream for most of us on this forum.
Old 04-12-2008
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 96%

I have to agree that the main issue is not the coding or design, but the advertising.
Old 04-17-2008
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantisinc View Post
What do you guys think is stopping from google going into the auction market?
To me it just seems like an opportunity waiting to be taken.
i really do wonder why google has done anything yet, maybe they have something up there sleeve or perhaps there content with there billions of dollars already?
Old 04-17-2008
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Look at what Google is doing: they are planing life after ebay's demise.

Ebay started as an auction site, took over paypal and then skype.

Google have a selling platform, they purchased grand central: wonder what they might do
next? Would we be so lucky?
Old 04-17-2008
Executive [VIP]

who knows what goes on at there googleplex HQ, but i predict by 2010 ebay will be further down hill then it is now.
Old 04-18-2008

I dont think its just advertising. Google genuinely had a better search engine when it first came out, Paul Graham at paulgraham.com has written a lot about this in various online essays. And he should know (he wrote the software for ViaWeb in LISP, an advanced near academic programming language thats way ahead of even Python, which is considered cutting edge today (better than JAVA), ViaWeb was, in turn, bought by Yahoo! to become Yahoo! Stores for about US$45 million worth of Stock Options)

However, *now* all search engines are the same, but, just like ebay, the search engine business is inherently a natural monopoly - so Google gets to stay on top.