Anyone else have good/bad encounters with the police?? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > General Discussions (Off-Topic) > Everything Else

Everything Else For off-topic conversation. The rules are relaxed in here, but play nice!

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2012

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 78%
Default Anyone else have good/bad encounters with the police??

Not talking about anything criminal here. Just small encounters such as speeding, traffic violations and your experiences. Could be good or bad. Here is mine that just happened an hour ago.

I just got home from my community college where i wanted to ask some questions but due to the power outage they were closed so i decided to take a drive. I do drive a fast car so i do like to go fast. Took the exit on the highway my boost was around 25pounds (for all the car people out there) so i decided to burn some rubber in 4th gear. I was going about 100-110 in a 55 zone. Completely out of NO WHERE in my rear mirror i see a cop going like 130 catching up to me and changing lanes after me. I was all the way in the right lane. I hit my brakes, he hits his and hes pretty close to hitting me. I keep driving for about 3 seconds and i thought to my self let me just make it easier for him. I pull over on the emergency lane and slow down to a complete stop. He never turned on his lights but is slowing down with me. He stayed in the right lane passed me and while passing stared at me and shook his pointer finger meaning " dont EVER do this again".

I was absolutely shocked. My heart sunk when i saw him behind me. This ticket would have taken away my license for a long time. That is why i pulled over just to make it easier on him and get it over with. Who knew that doing this might have got me out of my ticket!!!! That cop has really made my day today!
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 07-02-2012
Banned

Longevity: 85%

Haha funny story. Probably the only reason why you got away with it is because he knew you was speeding but didn't have his radar on to clock you.

Happened to me once going about 110 in a 55 but i was using a radar detector I slammed on my brakes to slow down but they pulled me over anyways. I quickly put the radar detector under the seat when he comes to the window he asks if I was speeding and wanted me to admit to it. I asked him if I was speeding to show me how fast you clocked me. all he did was run my DL and told me to have a nice day

I have another story will post later!
Old 07-02-2012

Longevity: 75%

I got stopped on my way to London one night - 2am in the morning - he said I was speeding (I was) - I said no way - he decided to take it all the way so when it got to court (bear in mind I'm an ex trained lawyer) he gave his evidence and I said "Can I have a look at the calibration certificate for the radar gun for that day please?"

He didn't know what I was talking about

The magistrates didn't know what I was talking about

The Clerk to the justices didn't know what I was talking about

So I showed them the five lines in the statute regarding calibration

Case dismissed

(I never speed in that area now)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrannyT For This Useful Post:
moneyhustler88 (04-06-2013), stanislav (07-02-2012)
Old 07-02-2012

I've always had a face people want to punch

In Wales, because I'm English, I've had the racist crap.

The trouble is my tongue is like acid - Charlie says if I ever bit my tongue I would die of poisoning - 'DEM MUTHERF***ERS ALWAYS COME SECOND'

The Following User Says Thank You to GrannyT For This Useful Post:
moneyhustler88 (04-06-2013)
Old 07-02-2012

Longevity: 70%

I am always getting in trouble but I always outrun the police... then lay low and they lose me. They need to cut out the pork pies if they want to stand a chance of catching me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Elijah For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2012

Ah - the words of someone who is soon to be living a different way of life - you need to be lucky every time - they need to be lucky once

Suggest you change your MO Elijah - you are too good for that carp
Old 07-02-2012

Longevity: 90%

You guys are criminals. I am reporting you to proper authorities!
The Following User Says Thank You to stanislav For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2012

Longevity: 73%

I've had lots of stuff happen over the years.... being 19 and getting a z28 didn't help.

I don't speed anymore... and i've learned to pull over, shut the car off, keep your hands on the wheel, roll down the window... and SHUT YOUR MOUTH. words to a cop are the min, NEVER ARGUE, sign the ticket and leave, you can fight the ticket, if you are getting a ticket you are getting one, you aren't going to smooooth talk your way out of it. yes sir, no sir, bye bye.

110 in a 55 is a great way to land in jail if he feels like hauling you in.

Last edited by golden_monkey; 07-02-2012 at 06:48 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to golden_monkey For This Useful Post:
biggunn (07-02-2012)
Old 07-02-2012
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyT View Post
I got stopped on my way to London one night - 2am in the morning - he said I was speeding (I was) - I said no way - he decided to take it all the way so when it got to court (bear in mind I'm an ex trained lawyer) he gave his evidence and I said "Can I have a look at the calibration certificate for the radar gun for that day please?"

Case dismissed

Must have been an idiot cop or a small town hick. Cops almost always are ready with that certificate, not to mention they are working with the courts so they have what they need.
Old 07-02-2012
Executive [VIP]

The strong majority of cops will be corrupt by nature. Power breeds corruption. Know your rights!
The Following User Says Thank You to biggunn For This Useful Post:
bansheezone (07-03-2012)
Old 07-02-2012
Banned

Longevity: 85%

I've talked myself out of plenty of tickets you just can't lie or act nervous around cops.
Old 07-02-2012
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,909 Times in 8,202 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

Ugh what a topic to discuss but entertaining nonetheless. I have my stories both minor and major...end point is I have lost a lot of respect for many of these `law enforcement officers' who are just one step above from being criminals themselves.

Now, not to sound like I detest all law enforcement - contrary, I meet many here and there in various venues and consider each person on an individual basis (2 friends are in the both provincial and national law enforcement) but I have just been rubbed way too much the wrong way. /rant off.
Old 07-02-2012
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

Several years ago, when I was living at home I had an experience.

My Dad would pick me up from work at the local train station. One day, he did not show. So, I flagged down a cab and went home. On the way, I saw his car on the side of the road. I thought maybe he had a flat.

Less than 5 minutes after I got home, a police officer came looking for me. She told me there was an accident (which surprised me as the car looked fine) and she needed to get me to the hospital right away. I went with her and she put the lights on and everything and got me there very quickly.

Unfortunately, my Father passed away before I got there - he had a massive heart attack while he was driving. But it was still very nice of the police to try to get me there ASAP. Apparently, he was revived and the medics told the police they didn't know if he would survive or not, which is why they tried to get me there so fast.

My family was NOT politically connected in any way and we didn't know anyone who worked at the hospital. We were just average citizens. But the police still do that sort of thing.

So, it is tempting to think of them mostly in a bad light given what we hear on the news, but not all cops are bad and not every precinct is corrupt. And this happened in CHICAGO.

Forgetting the bad cops for a moment, think about it. These people risk their lives doing a job where many of them probably make less money than anyone here who is selling on eBay. I think they deserve our respect.
Old 07-02-2012

Longevity: 73%

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunn View Post
The strong majority of cops will be corrupt by nature. Power breeds corruption. Know your rights!
best advice yet..... know your rights!!!!!!!! also assert your rights in a very vanilla neutal way as not to piss off the officer.

know the terms key such as..... "I don't concent to a search officer" nothing more nothing less, don't add any smart ass b/s just be a robot. but knowing when they are valid to use are also important.

cops are trained by default to run over your rights and trick you into waving them.... hello son, do you know how fast you were doing.

WRONG- DO NOT ANSWER - self incrimination at play... say no sorry I don't. If they don't have some kinda proof they often ask you to fk yourself. This is a classic tactic.

keeping your cool and shutting your hole are of UPMOST importance when being pulled over.

I was dked over lots when I was young, I've learned since.

Last edited by golden_monkey; 07-02-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old 07-02-2012

Longevity: 89%

I hate them all. Just act like you know that is the rule where I live, these NYPD are total scum so are the park police.
Old 07-02-2012
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,909 Times in 8,202 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

@jeffweico, sad story but touching...sorry to hear that but yes, there are good cops I am sure - that`s why I try to look at each person individually...sadly the 'aura' of the force is not the best and that`s what precludes and influences judgement.
Old 07-02-2012
MU

Longevity: 91%
Send a message via AIM to First Edition Send a message via MSN to First Edition Send a message via Yahoo to First Edition Send a message via Skype™ to First Edition

You should add the word "allegedly" to your vocabulary.

You're innocent until proven guilty. Of course, when you admit to committing a crime, it becomes easier to get a conviction.
Old 07-03-2012
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts

When I was about 10yrs old me and the family were driving through Texas, Dad was speeding because he was trying to get to the next town to sleep, soon after he was pulled over by the Highway Patrol who literally made my dad pay the fine right then and there.

Fast forward to a few years ago I was driving through Texas..Yes Texas. I was speeding for darn sure and I got pulled over, the cop gave me the ticket but it didn't have the price of the ticket. After looking on the back the ticket should of been at least $400. When I got the ticket it was only $150! I sent in that money order super fast! I guess the cop was nice and didn't make me pay the full $400.
Old 07-03-2012
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyT View Post

Case dismissed

Tell me more about this calibration thing... If they do not bring that to court for evidence you can get the case dismissed?
Old 07-03-2012
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffweico View Post
Several years ago, when I was living at home I had an experience.

My Dad would pick me up from work at the local train station. One day, he did not show. So, I flagged down a cab and went home. On the way, I saw his car on the side of the road. I thought maybe he had a flat.

Less than 5 minutes after I got home, a police officer came looking for me. She told me there was an accident (which surprised me as the car looked fine) and she needed to get me to the hospital right away. I went with her and she put the lights on and everything and got me there very quickly.

Unfortunately, my Father passed away before I got there - he had a massive heart attack while he was driving. But it was still very nice of the police to try to get me there ASAP. Apparently, he was revived and the medics told the police they didn't know if he would survive or not, which is why they tried to get me there so fast.

My family was NOT politically connected in any way and we didn't know anyone who worked at the hospital. We were just average citizens. But the police still do that sort of thing.

So, it is tempting to think of them mostly in a bad light given what we hear on the news, but not all cops are bad and not every precinct is corrupt. And this happened in CHICAGO.

Forgetting the bad cops for a moment, think about it. These people risk their lives doing a job where many of them probably make less money than anyone here who is selling on eBay. I think they deserve our respect.

I'm sorry to hear about your father. That was actually very nice of her. I don't think many cops would do something like that.
Old 07-03-2012
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansheezone View Post
I hate them all. Just act like you know that is the rule where I live, these NYPD are total scum so are the park police.
I absolutely hate park police. Had my share of experiences with them being a teenager. As far as the NYPD goes, i have many friends and family in new york. All i hear is bad things about them
Old 07-03-2012
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by marysman78 View Post
When I was about 10yrs old me and the family were driving through Texas, Dad was speeding because he was trying to get to the next town to sleep, soon after he was pulled over by the Highway Patrol who literally made my dad pay the fine right then and there.

Fast forward to a few years ago I was driving through Texas..Yes Texas. I was speeding for darn sure and I got pulled over, the cop gave me the ticket but it didn't have the price of the ticket. After looking on the back the ticket should of been at least $400. When I got the ticket it was only $150! I sent in that money order super fast! I guess the cop was nice and didn't make me pay the full $400.
Fast forward a few years ago??? hahaha made me laugh. But i had something like that happen to me too. Back in the day when i was in high school i was doing about 40 in a 25mph zone. Cop wasn't even in the car. He was standing on the side walk with his radar. Didn't even see him. All i seen was him come out on the street and pull me over. Wrote me a ticket for $270. Since it was a double fine. I sent it in without arguing and the court sent me back $140. It should have been 135 if they wanted to be even. But they gave me $5 extra for some reason..
Closed Thread