What do you guys think on the new cigarette packs - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > General Discussions (Off-Topic) > Everything Else

Everything Else For off-topic conversation. The rules are relaxed in here, but play nice!

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2012

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 78%
Default What do you guys think on the new cigarette packs

I think its a good idea and glad the giant tobacco company finally lost in some sort of way. I don't think this will affect or stop the current smokers from stopping to smoke, but i do think this will effect their sales in a huge way. Or at least i hope so. Hopefully the new kids who will have their first cigarette see this pack before they smoke it. Maybe it would change their mind, it sure as hell would my mind if i knew it came from that pack.

Here is an article if you haven't heard about this yet. They need to bring this to the USA.

Ruling shows 'big tobacco can be taken on and beaten,' Australia says - CNN.com
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 08-16-2012

Longevity: 75%

In the UK the anti smoking brigade have forced their views on everyone. As a result the UK now consumes more ⊗⊗⊗⊗ cigarettes, containg god knows what, than any other country.

Because they managed to get smoking banned in pubs the landlords found that waiting for the anti smoking brigade to come in each summer for their two glasses of Coca Cola was not a viable alternative to the hard drinking and hard smoking people that had haunted pubs for generations. And so every week we have previously viable pubs closing.

In my part of Wales 50% of the pubs have gone and with them the culture and rural interaction that there used to be.

The good thing is the anti smoking brigade, when they go out for their annual 2 glasses of coca cola can now do it in the surgically clean surroundings of the modern pub

That's the end result of campaigning against what they perceive as a great evil - cigarettes.

What do I think of the new packets? Pathetic - the implication being that if you decide you want to smoke this WILL happen to you. Note that - they don't say this has shappened to some people - they imply that it WILL.

I have no truck with the tobacco companies but I equally have no truck with the interfering busy bodies that want to run everyones life

Sorry - what was the question again?
Old 08-16-2012
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 90%

Im a smoker and Im glad Australia has followed suit. I think the world should follow. I also think the price of ciggies should go up so much that people who think about smoking will think twice as most people put more importance on their bank balance than their health.
Old 08-16-2012
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 72%

Quit 2 years ago after smoking for 20 years.
Old 08-16-2012
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyT View Post
In the UK the anti smoking brigade have forced their views on everyone. As a result the UK now consumes more ⊗⊗⊗⊗ cigarettes, containg god knows what, than any other country.

Because they managed to get smoking banned in pubs the landlords found that waiting for the anti smoking brigade to come in each summer for their two glasses of Coca Cola was not a viable alternative to the hard drinking and hard smoking people that had haunted pubs for generations. And so every week we have previously viable pubs closing.

In my part of Wales 50% of the pubs have gone and with them the culture and rural interaction that there used to be.

The good thing is the anti smoking brigade, when they go out for their annual 2 glasses of coca cola can now do it in the surgically clean surroundings of the modern pub

That's the end result of campaigning against what they perceive as a great evil - cigarettes.

What do I think of the new packets? Pathetic - the implication being that if you decide you want to smoke this WILL happen to you. Note that - they don't say this has shappened to some people - they imply that it WILL.

I have no truck with the tobacco companies but I equally have no truck with the interfering busy bodies that want to run everyones life

Sorry - what was the question again?
Why is it pathetic to put something like that on the packets. Anything that will hurt these huge corporations is a good thing. Are you actually in favor of these tobacco companies? The images can imply both things. That i can happen to you or that it will. It doesn't say that IT WILL HAPPEN to you. Not sure why you would be siding in any way with the tobacco companies. Neither side is controlling nobody, 1 side is trying to sell their product and the other is trying to show the effects of the product. It is still up to the consumer to decide what he or she does.... and if you say UK has the most consumed phake cigarettes which was crossed out by the forum for certain reasons.... then that is also their problem... and seriously if you smoke phake cigs manufactured who knows where with who knows what inside you are a complete idiot......and i have no remorse or mercy for you...Maybe you haven't had anyone die or had a serious illness from them yet. Im sure if you did that would change your mind.......

Last edited by LoopHole; 08-16-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old 08-16-2012

Longevity: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopHole View Post
Why is it pathetic to put something like that on the packets. Anything that will hurt these huge corporations is a good thing. Are you actually in favor of these tobacco companies? The images can imply both things. That i can happen to you or that it will. It doesn't say that IT WILL HAPPEN to you. Not sure why you would be siding in any way with the tobacco companies. Neither side is controlling nobody, 1 side is trying to sell their product and the other is trying to show the effects of the product. It is still up to the consumer to decide what he or she does.... and if you say UK has the most consumed phake cigarettes which was crossed out by the forum for certain reasons.... then that is also their problem... and seriously if you smoke phake cigs manufactured who knows where with who knows what inside you are a complete idiot......and i have no remorse or mercy for you...Maybe you haven't had anyone die or had a serious illness from them yet. Im sure if you did that would change your mind.......
Slow down a bit big chap - I never said I was in favour of the tobacco companies - what I said was I'm not in favour of interest groups dictating how others must live with dubious propaganda - the effects of their actions are seldom what was planned.

For many years pubs have been part of the British way of life and they have now been decimated in no small part by the smoking ban. This was brought into being by rabid anti smokers who never used the pubs in the first place. But they decided that those who did use the pubs were not going to use tobacco - does that not seem ironic to you?

It doesn't effect them as they never went in in the first place. The people it does effect are those who are not interested in their cause or their propoganda.

While you may have an issue with big business why should others who do not, have to pay for your vendetta against them?

I'm sorry - I do not see how putting gruesome pictures on cigarette packets is going to make one iota of difference
The Following User Says Thank You to GrannyT For This Useful Post:
bansheezone (08-17-2012)
Old 08-17-2012

Longevity: 73%

The pictures and warnings are already there. Makes not a bit of difference as far as I have noticed. Smokers keep on smoking, pictures won't stop them.

New smokers - can't say. Perhaps it will have an effect, only time will tell. If I was a teenager still (if only!) then gruesome pictures would probably not put me off...quite the opposite in fact. I would treat them like football (baseball ) cards and try to collect them all :D

If they are banned outright - will people stop? Doubt it.

There are numerous other smokable things that are banned...I know I could go and buy them almost as fast as it would take to get a pack of fags. Then there are all of the other substances that will get you a prison sentence or a serious smack on the bum if you are caught with them. Has outlawing them stopped people using them?

People want to have a choice, at a fair price.

If you take that choice away or put the price up so they are prohibitively expensive people will find alternatives which is arguably one of the reasons why there is such a massive tobacco black market in the UK. The majority of which is supplied by....CHINA!!!

See if you can find a BBC Panorama documentary titled "Smoking and the Bandits". Very enlightening.

People want what they desire at a decent/bargain price.

That's why eB is so successful!!
Old 08-17-2012
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 77%

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyFish View Post
The pictures and warnings are already there. Makes not a bit of difference as far as I have noticed. Smokers keep on smoking, pictures won't stop them.

New smokers - can't say. Perhaps it will have an effect, only time will tell. If I was a teenager still (if only!) then gruesome pictures would probably not put me off...quite the opposite in fact. I would treat them like football (baseball ) cards and try to collect them all :D

If they are banned outright - will people stop? Doubt it.

There are numerous other smokable things that are banned...I know I could go and buy them almost as fast as it would take to get a pack of fags. Then there are all of the other substances that will get you a prison sentence or a serious smack on the bum if you are caught with them. Has outlawing them stopped people using them?

People want to have a choice, at a fair price.

If you take that choice away or put the price up so they are prohibitively expensive people will find alternatives which is arguably one of the reasons why there is such a massive tobacco black market in the UK. The majority of which is supplied by....CHINA!!!

See if you can find a BBC Panorama documentary titled "Smoking and the Bandits". Very enlightening.

People want what they desire at a decent/bargain price.

That's why eB is so successful!!

:D Calling cigarettes fags, always brings a laugh or two.

Brits..
Old 08-17-2012

Send a message via MSN to GTB Send a message via Yahoo to GTB

cigs are a drug that kill....so is cocaine

should they be banned too

always a good idea to give ppl an idea of what they are getting into

them pics mite be putting of youths....never a bad thing

and if the price does go up...the proceeds should go to the health care system that have to deal with the aftermath of smoking
Closed Thread