EBAY can link you via IP & cookies even if the linked log ins are months apart! - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion! > eBay Suspensions

eBay Suspensions General issues related to eBay Suspensions. Mostly geared towards eBay.com.

Old 04-25-2008

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 92%
Default EBAY can link you via IP & cookies even if the linked log ins are months apart!

Got a possible pre 11/07 account. It was created on Oct 02, 2007. Is it OK that this date is so close to the 11/07 policy? Can I safely consider this a pre-11/07 account, that is?

It's someone's personal account that they created but never used, and they'd be willing to give it to me. It has their real name, address and phone # on it. 0 feedback, never bought or sold from, no Paypal links, no cc, no bank info. Would it trigger a problem (immediately or later) if I were to change: 1) the name in any way, 2) the address, 3) the phone number.

The original owner would be fine even if I used the account as is, but I just thought I'd ask.

Now, for bigger problems.

The owner created and last logged into (to give me access) the account from the same office I've accessed my own failed ebay/paypal accounts from. Additionally, we also access our boss's ebay account from the same office.

Bottom line, if I start using this account, always making sure I never use the office IPs, would it be safe, or would this account be linked eventually?

Last edited by adventmma; 04-25-2008 at 11:24 AM.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 04-25-2008

Longevity: 93%

its already linked, dont drawn attention to yourself and also dont change the name on the ebay account it will raise many suspicions
Old 04-25-2008
Threadstarter  

Longevity: 92%

Well, I figured this much, but just wanted to confirm with those with experience. Clearly, their programming is set up in such a way that simply logs basically every IP address used to connect to Ebay. If Google can take snapshots of entire websites and pages, what's a bunch of IP addresses...

Actually, after I found out (from this forum, no less) that they have procedures to cross-link accounts based on IP and cookies, I ran this possible scenario in my head but still don't know how it would be handled by Ebay. What I'm talking about is this...

Say, Person A uses a dialup service to connect to ebay, has a legitimate account and all, has been selling for some time even... Person B, who is completely unaware of Person A (also a seller) just incidentally uses the same dialup service, is located in the same town/city, and one of those days would just happen to get the same IP address that Person A may have been issued (at least once) by that dialup service.

How would ebay regard this? After all, it's a machine that links accounts... So even though there's no foul play here by either party, how would Ebay's system react? I'm pretty sure that this scenario actually occurs more often than not, but there might be a nuance to this that I'm just not aware of. If someone could explain. Thanks.