Error when listing with authorize.net - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > General Platform Discussions > Payment Gateways

Payment Gateways Payment Gateway Discussions - Stripe Accounts, PayPal Accounts, Authorize.Net, Coinbase and More.

Old 01-31-2013

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 65%
Default Error when listing with authorize.net

I successfully added and verified authorize.net as a payment preference from buyers, but im receiving the following error when trying to list and accept credit cards via authorize.net. I've tried re-adding my authorize account and still received the same error. What else can I try. Apparently ebay thinks its a problem with authorize.net and authorize.net thinks its a problem with ebay.

Attention Sellers:
Attention!
In order to use the credit card option you need to have both a valid Internet Merchant account and a payment gateway in place to secure the transactions. To find out more about this please review the information on the following page: How Payment Gateways Work

At this time the only compatible gateways for use on eBay are Payflow and Authorize.net. If you are ready to setup your payment gateway you will find instruction under “Setting up a payment gateway for your Internet merchant account” on the following page: Selecting Your Payment Preferences

Once you have setup your gateway please contact customer support to make the appropriate adjustments to your account to start accepting credit cards.

For complete list of approved gateway companies go to the Gateway Signup Page
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 10-26-2013

Longevity: 60%
Default Re: Error when listing with authorize.net

Hello Ghost, I was wondering if you were ever able to resolve your problems. I have been going through the same thing and am still unable to revise or list many of my items. It is unbelievable. They are basically forcing members to accept only Paypal. Been trying for weeks and have spoken to at least 10 different people still having the same problems. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. -Angelo
Old 01-08-2014

Longevity: 59%

Hello,
I'm experiencing the same issue here, so if any one can give an advice it would be very appreciated. I can not accept payPal as my account was toasted, this is why I switched to Authorize.net, and so for I'm all set up with Ebay selling preferences. But the error message pops up whenever I try to list a new Item.

Any helpful input as what's going wrong with Ebay not accepting listings with Authorize.net as a payment method please?
Old 02-01-2014

Longevity: 60%
Thumbs up Re: Error when listing with authorize.net

Hi all!

This is a question I have seen posted all over the internet, but no one seems to have an answer for it. So I finally just went ahead and decided to wing-it on my own and see what happens.

When you register your Authorize.net API/Transaction Key on Ebay, the system will run the test transaction and tell you that everything is fine. Youll even be able to go through the entire listing process, marking your payment method as "Merchant Account Only", and things will appear fine. But when you try to submit the listing, you're going to be met with this error. It seems since at least Summer 2013 (from the posts Ive read at various forums), this happens every single time.

This is basically Ebay making you jump through additional hoops to avoid PayPal. The site will not allow you to just drop PayPal as your payment method. You need to call customer support and have them do something on their end. And it isnt an easy process.

My first call, the first agent simply said she needed to transfer me to the right department. So I sat on hold and ended-up at the Trust And Safety department...they are NOT the people you want to talk to! After a couple of minutes with this 2nd agent trying to fix a problem that I had already taken care of myself weeks ago, she seemed clueless and put me on hold for a 3rd agent. This third person was a complete nimrod...I must have explained the error code and what I was trying to do at least 4 times, and she just kept asking me "Did you Verify your PayPal account?". Which is irrelavent because setting up a Merchant acct has absolutely nothing to do with PayPal. She put me on hold, and then...beep beep....I was disconnected. Total Time for call #1: 55mins

Immediately I called back the main number, this time without that code they give you when you click the "Call Me" link on Ebay's help section. After an additional 10mins on-hold, I got Agent #4 and this time I explained my situation a little different. I made sure to tell her that 1)I was just disconnected while trying to resolve this and 2)This is NOT a Trust & Safety issue. She put me on-hold a couple of times while looking at my account, and FINALLY she came back and asked me to try listing while she was on the phone.

I already had my listing saved as a draft, so I just went in and tried to submit it and...POOF....it went right through! ERROR SOLVED!!! Her explanation was that, even though the site said I was authorized to accept credit cards, they needed to physically authorize it themselves for the error to go away.

So, for all of us trying to get away from PayPal, this is the process to do so in 2014. Call...be patient...be STERN when speaking with the agents when they try to ram PayPal down your throat...and if one agent can't fix it for you then just keep calling back until someone finally does.

I hope this helps all of you out there having this same issue. For those of us in the United States, getting away from PayPal is crucial due to tax purposes. But because Ebay owns PayPal, most of their staff isnt even trained to handle a different payment method. So they dont make it easy on us.

And as an FYI, this is on a stealth account. Google Voice is a wonderful thing for these types of situations!! Just make sure you have a few hours to kill because youre going to be on-hold a lot. In the end, though, its so worth it to give PayPal the middle finger!!

Cheers!!!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to yman173 For This Useful Post:
back_again (02-01-2014), brucelin778 (04-10-2014), emings5 (04-26-2015), Lolitax (02-03-2014), storeinthewoods (12-27-2014)
Old 02-01-2014

Longevity: 59%

Thank you so much, this will be very helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by yman173 View Post
Hi all!

Just make sure you have a few hours to kill because youre going to be on-hold a lot. In the end, though, its so worth it to give PayPal the middle finger!!

Cheers!!!
No worries, I actually give like 12-14 hours a day to Ebay, so a couple more, wont be an issue at all
Old 12-28-2014

Longevity: 54%
Talking Re: Error when listing with authorize.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by yman173 View Post

This is a question I have seen posted all over the internet, but no one seems to have an answer for it........
Let me just say what a nightmare lol.. Paypal for one sucks, we have an account we cant use because we showed proof a person got their item (paypal is suppose to protect sellers with this proof) but they went and refunded the person plus left them keep the item.. so we got a merchant account...

set it up on my husbands ebay first, found this post so knew what needed them to do.. took 3 phone calls for the 3rd person to fix the issue. logout and back in like i was told listing problem when just doing credit card as payment fixed.

So today for my account set up merchant... called in first set of people (one call transfered twice) told them i knew what the issue was and what needed to be done so it could be fixed. from that call i got told it shows active and just takes a few hours it will work.. umm nope. called in a second time the first person was really nice and tried to figure it out as she didnt want to have to transfer me, but she couldnt so i got transfered to trust and safety there barely a minute till i was told me issue was a billing department that could help me (well no not really lol)...

from this transfer to billing is where ebay truly shows their colors... for probably a good 20mins the guy tries to intimidate me into thinking that i must also still have paypal check as it is an automatic payment for listings... even after i say that it says straight on their site that alternative payments means you do not have to offer paypal, which he argues and says you still do as an option... to the point i finally say the only reason paypal is being pushed is because it is an ebay own company ive been selling on ebay for a while now and know how things work (to where he says im an ebay customer service personal so I know the facts, to where i respond well there is proof on the website itself in the alternative payment methods specifically stating that you do not have to accept paypal if using one of these alternatives i can pull you the url from ebay if you would like), i can even pull up the TOS and no where does it say that paypal must be used as a payment option for listing only required as an automatic payment to be able to open up an ebay store and that is for the account holder itself not for listing items... he still argues that on a listing it will still be offered.. i said on my husbands account of the items listed only credit card payment is offered which goes through the merchant account and not paypal... he argues again and says he can look through any of the listings etc. i even said that the draft i had to do a test to make sure the credit card was accurately setup i could link up my propay right now to it (dont want to use propay cuz of higher fees then my merchant) unclick paypal and propay only that the item will list and only propay payment option will be there...

he still argues and tries to intimated etc... so he has me go in and try the listing again... i told him i got the same error about the credit card (he tries to say the error hes getting is that the paypal email isnt valid that is being used on the listing, well umm its not even clicked at all as an option lol)... so he finally says well let me look at the merchant account on your account in our system and make sure that the active status is fully active. he gets back on and tells me he had to refresh the system and that the issue is gone (i check while still on the phone and it was, but he didnt refresh he manually activated it lol)... to then he goes and says when you do your listings make sure that the paypal payment option is unmarked

So all his hard work to intimidate me and try to get me to still use paypal (he even tried to say if i fixed that issue, which there wasnt one, that the credit card part would work through the merchant also, w.e.) did not pay off what so ever and the whole time i stayed calm, talked about exact proof about stuff directly from their site, and stood my ground he did what he was suppose to do instead of trying to get me to just use paypal... my husband thought for sure sooner or later the guy would hang up on me cuz he wasnt getting his way.. i told my husband have 3 kids so intimidation doesnt work on me and i am the queen of bullsh*tting so he didnt have a chance

that just goes to show any one else with this ridiculous issue dont let them intimidate you or ram paypal down your throat... make sure you know about the alternative payments, that you know how the issue you are getting will be fixed, and that paypal is not 100% required to sell on ebay - NO NOT GIVE IN... but stay calm and respectful at all times (trust me i was doing some sign language to the guy on the other end of the phone lmao).... they will get worn down and finally just give in.. it only took me 20mins probably more like 45mins to get this dude to so be prepared to stay calm for how ever long it takes and keep throwing facts at them and proof from their own website to back yourself up.

all monopolies in history when it came to business had these same tactics, they all fell, just because this is online doesnt mean history wont repeat itself ebay (even paypal) their times will come, it is just getting the competition to stand their ground against them too and not sellout to ebay but continue to run right over them
The Following User Says Thank You to storeinthewoods For This Useful Post:
rsot (12-28-2014)