When an "action needed" MC999 doesn't state a deadline? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion! > eBay Suspensions

eBay Suspensions General issues related to eBay Suspensions. Mostly geared towards eBay.com.

Old 02-09-2013

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 79%
Default When an "action needed" MC999 doesn't state a deadline?

When an "action needed" MC999 doesn't state a deadline?

In searching the internet and this site, I have seen reports of MC999s with a specific stated deadline like 48 or 72 hours to verify info to avoid account closure. I also saw one (except a MC209) requiring sign-in within 30 days.

But I received a MC999 which is "action needed" to call customer support yet with no stated specific deadline. This is not the traditional scenario of a new account getting a MC999 but rather an account years old with tens of thousands of dollars of past sales which had no selling limit displayed.

They stopped allowing posting of new listings while "under review" until I confirm some information by calling customer support (though leaving my old listings active), but, as far as I can tell from the email, I may be able to go more than 72 hours without doing so. Neither any further increase in penalty is stated to be impending, nor any specific deadline for calling. The word hour or day appears nowhere in my MC999, unlike in some other MC999s.

Has anyone ever gone more than 72 hours without calling eBay on an "action needed" contact-us MC999 with no specific deadline stated in the message, and how many days afterwards were they hit by further penalties, if ever?

I'm done with ebay selling. I don't need to ever sell again on the account. I just really need it not to be entirely closed (as in "not a registered user") for at least 5 or 6 days from the time of the MC999, so that a bunch of recent sales are delivered to recent buyers before they get spammed by eBay's suspended or banned seller emails which could cause panic and unfortunately case chargebacks (problems on the thousand dollar level).

I really, really don't want to call eBay, as I would probably fail the verification. For instance, if they asked about address history, either I'd give them my real prior addresses (which could link me to my old banned account of years ago as they may have traced it) or else give them other addresses (no database match at all so bad in another way). I think I would get my account banned the very hour I called, if I called.

So I want to just hold off on calling.

But if I don't call, what will probably happen? Is there still a 72 hour deadline despite them not stating it at all in my particular MC999, or what?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 02-09-2013

Longevity: 69%

If you want to keep the account, call.

If you don't want to keep the account, don't call.

These things are changing all the time. I would not rely on some missing details to put you in the clear.
Old 02-09-2013
Threadstarter  

Indeed reading into details of message wording is not ideal, not able to be truly relied upon, but I have no choice except to unreliably guess.

I'm hoping someone has experience with similar to this particular type of MC999 where a clear penalty (no new listings) has already been applied. For all I know, eBay might let it remain as an account usable only for buying indefinitely.

Likewise, if anyone has ever exceeded 72 hours in calling on any "action needed" MC999, on one not stating a deadline in the message body, that would help inform my guessing.

My options are probably lose/lose anyway, but every extra few hours or day counts, for the critical several days I need of the account not being entirely closed quite yet. My best guess so far is actually that calling draws human attention and an instant ban in my circumstance of almost certainly not going to pass verification, whereas not calling may mean another 1+ day.
Old 02-25-2013
Threadstarter  

As an update to this thread as of now 2 weeks later, I never called eBay except for once when I tried and was disconnected after twenty minutes for them being too busy (never speaking to a human then). The account stayed in a status of restricted from selling but not suspended nor closed.

That fits a hypothesis of mine based on an apparent typical pattern in examples found online: Apparently eBay seems to relatively readily suspend or entirely close minor / newbie accounts, but, on more major accounts like former powersellers, eBay appears more likely to instead first only restrict them from selling. Even eBay probably is not foolish enough to most typically wastefully send the call-in-48-hours-or-automatic-account-closure MC999 version on an account which had paid thousands of dollars in seller fees.

After a couple weeks, someone from eBay called me. According to him and in a subsequent seller dashboard display (plus in an official email sent right afterwards), I ended up with a selling limit, after a 4 minute or so conversation. Actually I was rather happy with it (thousands of dollars and hundreds of items a month after a surprisingly pleasant conversation), and I explicitly asked him if the prior complete restriction from selling was removed, with him saying it was. However, a couple days later, when trying to create a listing, it still didn't work, despite plenty of the month's selling limit on both $ and item # remaining in the dashboard display.

I think the problem is probably that paypal wants my SSN, despite already having an EIN, and that is probably what is keeping the eBay account prohibited from new listings even if that employee at eBay didn't notice. They haven't sent any email explicitly mentioning that, but, if I go to try to add funds from a bank, paypal prompts for it or an ITIN for verification versus name, address, and date of birth.

Anyway, I'm not going to enter my SSN for various reasons (including since saving it for my very best account in the future instead if I ever do use it), so I'm mainly only relating the above for the benefit of any readers interested in hearing what happened.
Old 02-25-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,909 Times in 8,202 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

If you dont actively solve this, the account will remain as it is for months...even years.