Paypal ask me for SSN - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Old 02-23-2013

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 64%
Default Paypal ask me for SSN

Ok, I'm running into a situation here, and I need your help. Today Paypal send me an email asking for my SSN. I know that email is legit because it shows in my account too.
Now here is the main problem: I used paypal before, and I got kicked out after I gave them my EIN and TaxID ( I don't have SSN). So now, if I enter the same number, they will limit the new account for sure. I have read that Paypal have to report to the IRS if an account reach both milestone: $20,000 and 200 transaction. My account get 150+ transactions and of course, way below that $20,000 limit ($1200+)

So, what if I just leave my PP account like that, will they limit the new account? I use PP only for selling on eBay, and all of my items are legit. But last year, they suddenly limit my account for no reason, despite the fact that I did provide all of my documents. So now, I want to switch to Moneybookers to receive money, and only use Paypal for shipping.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 02-24-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Do a lot more reading about what paypal can and does do.
http://www.aspkin.com/forums/paypal-...unt-sales.html

If you got asked for the SSN, you can not use that paypal for shipping.

How do you think that would work? It can not.
Old 02-24-2013
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBean™ View Post

If you got asked for the SSN, you can not use that paypal for shipping.

How do you think that would work? It can not.
I'm sorry, I don't quite understand that. Basically, I realize that the main issue is total amount of transaction and money I receive into my paypal account. So my solution is using Moneybookers to receive money. That way the number of transaction between eBay and PP will always be lower than 200 and $20,000. I still need that PP account to pay eBay fee, and pay for shipping service. What I don't know is that if PP will limit that account later if I don't give them my TaxID (which linked to the old one)
Old 02-24-2013
Executive [VIP]

While paypal are asking for the SSN you need to make arrangements for some sort of other ID
Sandy D (02-24-2013)
Old 02-24-2013
Threadstarter  

Erm, right now I can still receive and withdraw money like usual. Yesterday I withdrew $60 to my bank, they processed it. Tonight I just purchased postage and shipped 5 packages using PP with no problem at all.
Old 02-24-2013
Banned

Thanked 2,029 Times in 1,356 Posts
Longevity: 87%

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukinara View Post
I'm sorry, I don't quite understand that. Basically, I realize that the main issue is total amount of transaction and money I receive into my paypal account. So my solution is using Moneybookers to receive money. That way the number of transaction between eBay and PP will always be lower than 200 and $20,000. I still need that PP account to pay eBay fee, and pay for shipping service. What I don't know is that if PP will limit that account later if I don't give them my TaxID (which linked to the old one)
Not many will pay you without going through pp so be prepared and gets some back ups going.

At some point if you do not provide something they will limit the account.
Old 02-24-2013

would creating a canadian pp avoid this problem? if so does a canadian pp have a similar problem?
Old 02-24-2013

Longevity: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawr123123123 View Post
would creating a canadian pp avoid this problem? if so does a canadian pp have a similar problem?
LOL, everyone wants to be Canadian.

Ask "rsot" he's the Official Canadian here.

eBay Suspension & Paypal Limited Forums - View Profile: rsot
Old 02-24-2013
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawr123123123 View Post
Still got address issues, IP issues. Canada still has tax laws. ID is still needed.

Make your own thread on the subject please.

Old 02-24-2013

Longevity: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukinara View Post
Now here is the main problem: I used paypal before, and I got kicked out after I gave them my EIN and TaxID ( I don't have SSN). So now, if I enter the same number, they will limit the new account for sure.
Isn't the easy solution just to get a new EIN?
Old 02-24-2013
Threadstarter  

Yes, I thought about that possibility, but we should consider getting a new EIN means opening a new LLC, imagine I have 5 PP accounts and 5 companies. That will be a lot of explanations to the IRS. And based on my experience, don't ever try anything shady with the IRS, more companies means more chances for an audit. Sure, a person can have 10 companies under his name, but those business have to be normal and functioning, not for the sake of using them for PP.

To be honest here, I bough the guide, and was slightly disappointed. Nothing truly ground breaking. I guess when dealing with eBay and PP for three years, if there is an answer I can't find, not many will know it either. Like if PP will truly limit an account with SSN or not, or when they ask for SSN, no one knows for sure. I have seen people keep an account without SSN for years. Also, people tend to think that the sale volume will be low without PP, but I know a person using ProPay and her sale volume is still normal. Many of my friends don't even use PP to buy stuff on eBay, they just pulled out a credit card instead. For selling limit, I have seen people guaranteed that you can only increase it in 25, 50 increment, and only in 1 month. But one of my account went from 50 to 100, then straight to 350 in one month, and it is this February. But I think I still get a little bit of information there.

Last edited by yukinara; 02-24-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old 02-25-2013
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 66%

I would not worry about the email. That stupid bar and message shows up after for almost everyone after you receive a few thousand in payments. It does depend on the history of the account and how long you have had it. But I would just ignore it and continue to sell. As long as your monthly averages don't have a projection to put you over the 20k you should be fine. I would stop selling at like 18k and make sure you reach that number at the end of the year if it gets that high. If the PayPal account is in the first year I would be even more cautious. Most of the limitations from not reporting the TAX ID in my experience come from new accounts selling several thousand a month the first few or account selling a huge chunk early in the year like 3k in jan 3k in feb making you average look like you are going to go way over the 20k threshold. My advice having used many stealth accounts the past few years. Keep the sales below a projection of 20k for the first 6-8 months and if you can sell the larger amounts at the end of the year and make out at like 18k or 18.5k. Then wait for the new year to reset.

YOU ARE STILL LIABALE FOR ANY TAXES OWED. I AM NOT GIVING HOW TO DODGE TAX ADVICE. ONLY HOW TO KEEP YOUR STEALTH PAYPAL FROM BEING LIMITED BECAUSE OF REPORTING LAWS PUT INTO PLACE 2 YEARS AGO!!

Last edited by vogeltron; 02-25-2013 at 03:56 AM.