Received a chargeback....am i screwed??? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Old 05-01-2013

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 65%
Default Received a chargeback....am i screwed???

HERE'S WHAT HAPPENED. I SOLD A BEST BUY GIFT CARD ON EBAY FOR $891.00. PAYMENT WAS MADE, SMOOTH TRANSACTION. I SHIPPED VIA USPS AND ALSO EMAILED THE SELLER THE CARD NUMBERS AND PIN. A DAY LATER I RECEIVED A MC143 eBay Listing Removed Notice stating that "someone was using an account to bid on items without the account owner's permission.

For this reason, we have canceled all bids on the following listing". A few hours later PAYPAL sends me an email stating that they have Removed the funds from my account and the transaction is under investigation.

I have over 250 completed transactions under my belt. Ebay feedback is 160/100%. DSR 4.9. Over $5,300 in sales. Account is 80 days. Question. I AM SCREWED?? Should I take it as a loss to keep things quiet or should a press to get my money back?? I sell mostly video games and blu-rays, high risk items.....What should I do?? Thanks.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 05-01-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 2,370 Times in 1,528 Posts
Activity: 31%
Longevity: 85%

You've lost the money, 99.9% likely.
Old 05-01-2013
Banned

Thanked 2,029 Times in 1,356 Posts
Longevity: 87%

Chargeback from the customers credit card? Or just a dispute?
Old 05-01-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,921 Times in 8,213 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOGETER10 View Post
For this reason, we have canceled all bids on the following listing". A few hours later PAYPAL sends me an email stating that they have Removed the funds from my account and the transaction is under investigation.

I have over 250 completed transactions under my belt. Ebay feedback is 160/100%. DSR 4.9. Over $5,300 in sales. Account is 80 days. Question. I AM SCREWED?? Should I take it as a loss to keep things quiet or should a press to get my money back?? I sell mostly video games and blu-rays, high risk items.....What should I do?? Thanks.
One of the unauthorised access e-mails - that sucks. It is way too early to tell but it doesnt sound like a cc chargeback.

You may have a chance. 1) Do you have tracking or is it just USPS regular mail you used? 2) Was the other pp (buyer) verified? You may have to push back with pp with proof of shipping and sale.

Still early to tell Paypal`s decision but I wouldnt just let it go yet. Get your proof ready. Sadly, but not 100%, you could be limited as a consequence but time will tell (not saying for sure but be ready for possibility).
Old 05-01-2013
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy d View Post
chargeback from the customers credit card? Or just a dispute?
am i not sure....i'm afraid to call paypal and ask.
Old 05-01-2013

Longevity: 66%

In my opinion, you should be fine if you provided tracking, but you can never tell with Paypal. I've never lost a case as I always provide tracking. The tracking keeps you safe under the seller protection Policy, even when it comes to chargebacks.

I'd say you should be fine, after all, this is in no way your fault. You did what you was supposed to do, sold the item and shipped it.

Good luck man, I think it should turn out in your favor.
Old 05-01-2013
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
One of the unauthorised access e-mails - that sucks. It is way too early to tell but it doesnt sound like a cc chargeback.

You may have a chance. 1) Do you have tracking or is it just USPS regular mail you used? 2) Was the other pp (buyer) verified? You may have to push back with pp with proof of shipping and sale.

Still early to tell Paypal`s decision but I wouldnt just let it go yet. Get your proof ready. Sadly, but not 100%, you could be limited as a consequence but time will tell (not saying for sure but be ready for possibility).
1) Do you have tracking or is it just USPS regular mail you used? Yes, I used USPS with signature delivery. 2) Was the other pp (buyer) verified? Yes, they were verified. The email I received from PAYPAL was saying I needed to take action(give tracking, fax documents, etc,) but I logged in and I didn't have to do anything. The account is not limited. But like you said, time will tell....Thanks....PRAYING
Old 05-01-2013
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRevolver View Post
In my opinion, you should be fine if you provided tracking, but you can never tell with Paypal. I've never lost a case as I always provide tracking. The tracking keeps you safe under the seller protection Policy, even when it comes to chargebacks.

I'd say you should be fine, after all, this is in no way your fault. You did what you was supposed to do, sold the item and shipped it.

Good luck man, I think it should turn out in your favor.

Thank you......
Old 05-02-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,192 Posts
Longevity: 91%

if it is just a paypal dispute you are probably fine, you will be covered by seller protection.

a chargeback from credit card, is different, even with tracking and signature, paypal may still not protect you..
Old 05-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompaloompa View Post
if it is just a paypal dispute you are probably fine, you will be covered by seller protection.

a chargeback from credit card, is different, even with tracking and signature, paypal may still not protect you..
Not from my experience, I've had at least 4 chargebacks in the past. I called them right away and they refunded my money immediately. Told me because I had tracking and all that that I was covered by seller protection.
Old 05-02-2013
Executive [VIP]

Nice TheRevolver - I have had 2 chargebacks last year that even with tracking and proof, PP would not side with me.
Old 05-02-2013

Wow, that sucks. They always seem to side with me, maybe I was just lucky then.
Old 05-02-2013
Banned

Thanked 2,029 Times in 1,356 Posts
Longevity: 87%

A high percent of cc chargebacks always go the way of the buyer.

Yes you are lucky and on a roll.

Or you are just doing something awesome to get them to side with you.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandy D For This Useful Post:
GreenGhost (05-02-2013), TheRevolver (05-02-2013)
Old 05-03-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,192 Posts
Longevity: 91%

Quote:
Wow, that sucks. They always seem to side with me, maybe I was just lucky then.
not a question of siding with you, they side with you in as much as they say they will fight it, they probably submit the tracking or whatever but when the card refuses and forces the money to come back to them, paypal does not compensate you.
Old 05-03-2013

That may be the case for some but not for everyone.

I was refunded the day I seen the chargeback as I had tracking that showed delivered, and even though a few weeks later the cc won, Paypal still covered me, this happened 2 out 4 chargebacks.

They reversed the hold the minute I called and even when the card won a few weeks later, they did not take the funds from me. I even called on one of those two instances as it said I lost, but after speaking to the rep, she told me the cc did win but Paypal covered it for me.

So, maybe they didn't cover you but for me they did, and I'm sure many others have been covered also.

Paypal does cover some people.

I haven't read the TOS for Paypal Seller Protection but I'm pretty sure it doesn't say anything about not being covered under chargebacks.

I mean, why wouldn't they cover you? If someone uses someone elses cc without the other persons permission, that's not your fault. Why would they expect you to take a loss because someone used their service to scam you.

Back when I used to sell digital items, I did receive 3 chargebacks and lost all 3 because I didn't have tracking as the item was digitally delivered but every one of them that I had tracking for were covered.

Last edited by TheRevolver; 05-03-2013 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-03-2013

Longevity: 64%

When this was attempted on me I provided the traking number. The paypal rep on the phone cheked the traking the zip etc and said "YUP, NO PROBLEM BUDDY. THE ITEM WAS DELIVERED AND SIGN FOR. YOU HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. just saying.... GL though and don't show any fear man i mean its a 900 dollar loss?
Old 05-04-2013

Longevity: 80%

USPS is the WORST for sending stuff like that. POOR "tracking" system that really cannot prove anything and causes more issues than anything else. Whenever I send stuff i know i don't want to lose I send it via UPS they have real time tracking, trace and a lot of other features.

I once had them deliver my package to another address, after tracing it they found where it was and went back to get it.

With usps the second they delivery something to wrong address call it lost
Old 05-06-2013
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
That may be the case for some but not for everyone.

I was refunded the day I seen the chargeback as I had tracking that showed delivered, and even though a few weeks later the cc won, Paypal still covered me, this happened 2 out 4 chargebacks.

They reversed the hold the minute I called and even when the card won a few weeks later, they did not take the funds from me. I even called on one of those two instances as it said I lost, but after speaking to the rep, she told me the cc did win but Paypal covered it for me.

So, maybe they didn't cover you but for me they did, and I'm sure many others have been covered also.

Paypal does cover some people.

I haven't read the TOS for Paypal Seller Protection but I'm pretty sure it doesn't say anything about not being covered under chargebacks.

I mean, why wouldn't they cover you? If someone uses someone elses cc without the other persons permission, that's not your fault. Why would they expect you to take a loss because someone used their service to scam you.

Back when I used to sell digital items, I did receive 3 chargebacks and lost all 3 because I didn't have tracking as the item was digitally delivered but every one of them that I had tracking for were covered.
Were your successes for within-the-US shipping? I had shipped both of my items to the US (so international with shipping) - figure PP.ca was just not willing to help me out for a US chargeback...maybe too much paperwork and such dealing with international borders.
Old 05-06-2013

Longevity: 64%

Wow bro, that really sucks. Given PP's track record, I wouldn't expect to get the money back. Best thing you can do is spend the money on that gift card fast before the scammer does.
Old 05-06-2013

Longevity: 67%

I think PayPal SPP is different from country to country.
Here is what they say about non-US account holders.
Quote:
If you're a non-US account holder, visit the FAQs page to get coverage details for your country.
Also, they says what SPP does not cover.
Quote:
You've received a claim or a chargeback, and the shipped item is found to be significantly different than it was described.
Example: You describe a new laptop, but send a used one.
Old 05-07-2013
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotsuspended View Post
I think PayPal SPP is different from country to country.
Here is what they say about non-US account holders.
Quite likely that PP deals with Canadian coverage much differently than US - agree....screw us all in different ways ha